MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Review

nicklmg

I'm perfectly happy with my RX 470 and i5-750, if I needed something portable with a battery I'd build an ITX system and buy a UPS.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 hours ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

Laptop form factor really is stretching it. :D

So is toilet paper. 8] 

@Ryan_Vickers

>Titan SLi

>Has two 1080s

MSI everybody. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

12 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I'm perfectly happy with my RX 470 and i5-750, if I needed something portable with a battery I'd build an ITX system and buy a UPS.

Good luck with that, for a UPS that's capable of running a gaming system for more than an hour, an ITX system, screen, cables, peripherals etc you're not going to be very portable. :D

I think the Razer blade pro should have been included in the benchmarks too give us some idea of the performance boost from that form factor compared to something that is trying to be slim first and performance second.

Wow, for this large behemoth laptop, Linus was sure "heavy" on the dad jokes... lol.

Why didn't anyone @nicklmgtouch battery life on this badboy? I'm guessing it doesn't have much, but it's a "laptop" afterall.

I'm sure temps are decent due to its size, but I wonder how much better things would be with a slight undervolt.

I'm not going to run out at get one, since I have the GS73VR Stealth. As for portability.... there is a kid in several of my programming classes who comes in with. GT7 series... he probably feels cooler than he looks.

I'd vote for GT83 for LAN party, but for productivity and portability,  definitely not so much.

Happy to see it beat out the ASUS.

1080p 60Hz.....seriously?

With that hardware and price tag it should at least be a 120Hz+ monitor.

Although I believe the users are going to use a proper external monitor most of the time anyway. 18 inch is just too small for long term desktop use.

Created a thread a while ago with all the 3 laptops (lol) mentioned in the video and the ASUS GX800 compared to each other.

In terms of features, certainly the 21X wins by miles... But it's way too pricey. For that price you can build 2 desktops with 1080tis in SLI AND with top of the line components and even with top of the line peripherals, and still have some money saved.

The Sager is EASILY the best value and I would actually argue that it's the best performer as it has 2 1080s that are exactly the same as it's desktop versions and it has a DESKTOP CPU (6700k or 7700k).

As the benchmarks showed, the Sager won quite a few of the gaming benchmarks... The 21x is better for overclocking with it's great cooling solution which is likely the reason why it stood ahead the Sager in a few of the benchmarks.

It's also the most portable and has about just as much IO as the other 2... And you can have IPS display anywhere from 1080p 60hz to 1080p 120hz to 4k 60hz (WITH G-SYNC), etc, etc, while you are stuck with the Acer's 1080p ultrawide 120hz (although for 2 1080s, this is a very good resolution and refresh rate but again, consumer choosing is always a good thing) and with the PATHETIC 1080p 60hz display on the MSI... Which makes the SLI absolutely useless since a single 1080 can hit this mark effortlessly in any game.

Regardless, all these are still pretty good and it shows that you can get desktop performance in a portable device. We still need to get a bit better in the cooling department and ,more obvious, the price, but I do see a future where these "laptops" will actually replace desktops as the mainstream.

Oh and ofc, upgradability is also an issue that needs to be solved.

The underlying problem here is not the notebook or even the notebook manufacturers - it's the stingy panel manufacturers. They have been holding just about every notebook manufacturer and senior product engineer at ransom for over a decade now and stifling much of the innovation that has been absent from the notebook segment.

It started with the 16:9 craze and their refusal to get off the TV bandwagon, stopping shipments of 17" 16:10 panels at one point (remember when 1920x1200 was popular?) Then they continued to sell ghastly 17" 1600x900 and even the lower 1366x768 resolution panels at screen sizes as big as 15". Try doing any kind of serious work on a 15" 1366x768 screen - it's laughable.

Then you couldn't stop seeing 17" 1080P panels. In fact, that's all you got, since no panel manufacturer would even bother with a 2560x1440 17" or 18" variant, despite the fact that both Alienware and Clevo had SKU's ready to accommodate those parts and shipping in very successful numbers.

More recently, panel manufacturers have jumped on the extreme high end making 15" 4K and 13" 3200x1800 panels. Those simply don't work well in a notebook form factor due firstly to scaling issues and second due to the fact that many of these first-gen notebooks required eDP connectivity using MST on sub-par GPU solutions. You just couldn't get the horsepower to run them properly, and even if you did, the end result bogged down the system or made the UI unusable.

So why is it that we cannot get a 17" or 18" 2560x1440 notebook display? Why won't panel manufacturers produce a 18" or 21" 4K variant for notebooks? Why is it that features like G-sync and 120Hz/144Hz refresh get chopped off the notebook feature list? The blame falls entirely on panel manufacturers, their stubbornness to get off the TV bandwagon, penny-pinching mentality towards notebook offerings and a total and complete lack of focus towards proper notebook design and enthusiast needs.

I can sympathize with companies like MSI and Acer, for whatever amazing horsepower they put under the hood of a laptop, it's the HIDEOUS panels offered to them that bring down what would otherwise be a stellar gaming and productivity experience.

silly question: Can you downgrade to windows 8 pro?