Does W10 Creators update come with Bloatware?

WereCat

Yesterday I installed Windows 10 Creators update and today I started to get Avast windows popping up every once a while wanting me to install it.

I never had Avast on this PC, so there is no reason why I should have had any reminder files installed or anything. This started to happen just after the new Creators update, I never had such pop up before.

I removed it by deleting the folder.

avast.thumb.png.769ecc85dc06469b235a799d7b6d08ba.png

EDIT:

I just noticed it says that the UPGRADE application was created 4th of February 2017 and the folder was tempered with 13th of April -> When I installed Creators Update.

And I definitely did not touch anything that contained Avast and I always check for sneaky programs that want to install alongside other software.

@AluminiumTech explain

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yesterday I installed Windows 10 Creators update and today I started to get Avast windows popping up every once a while wanting me to install it.

I never had Avast on this PC, so there is no reason why I should have had any reminder files installed or anything. This started to happen just after the new Creators update, I never had such pop up before.

I removed it by deleting the folder.

avast.thumb.png.769ecc85dc06469b235a799d7b6d08ba.png

EDIT:

I just noticed it says that the file was created 4th of February 2017 and the folder was tempered with 13th of April -> When I installed Creators Update.

And I definitely did not touch anything that contained Avast and I always check for sneaky programs that want to install alongside other software.

I would assume that it came as bloatware with one of your programs before you installed the update to windows.. I also noticed torrent on your desktop.. they are know for running stuff on systems, like when they had all utorrent users mine bitcoins for them.

Just now, pmos said:

I would assume that it came as bloatware with one of your programs before you installed the update to windows.. I also noticed torrent on your desktop.. they are know for running stuff on systems, like when they had all utorrent users mine bitcoins for them.

I don't run uTorrent at all. Last time I had it turned ON was last year. Also, I am aware of that Bitcoin mining stuff... that's why I use very old version.

I only use qBittorrent which I disable immediately after I download something and I have been denying it to update for over a year now so I doubt I got it from there as well.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I don't run uTorrent at all. Last time I had it turned ON was last year. Also, I am aware of that Bitcoin mining stuff... that's why I use very old version.

I only use qBittorrent which I disable immediately after I download something and I have been denying it to update for over a year now so I doubt I got it from there as well.

I just read on microsofts forum, that users that once had avast installed and removed it, still had that utility left on the machine, then when they upgrade it somehow becomes active and pops up like that.

Edit: here is a link to uninstall it http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/404330-how-delete-avast-popup-after-uninstalled.html (I dont think you need to boot in safe mode tho)

Just nuke it from your PC then. Revo uninstaller is great. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, pmos said:

I just read on microsofts forum, that users that once had avast installed and removed it, still had that utility left on the machine, then when they upgrade it somehow becomes active and pops up like that.

Hmm, maybe I have really got it in my PC somehow but it was blocked from popping up somehow until I updated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

There's literally no reason for MS to include Avast in the update, as they want to push their "exceptional" *cough*cough* Windows Defender.

Yea, I find it weird too.

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Just nuke it from your PC then. Revo uninstaller is great. 

Nah, I already nuked it with Shift+Del.

I feel like I need to reinstall OS anyway since I got two problems which even MS support was not able to help me with... I doubt the reinstall will solve both as I am pretty sure the problem is Windows 10 itself based on my research.

Just now, WereCat said:

Hmm, maybe I have really got it in my PC somehow but it was blocked from popping up somehow until I updated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel like I need to reinstall OS anyway since I got two problems which even MS support was not able to help me with... I doubt the reinstall will solve both as I am pretty sure the problem is Windows 10 itself based on my research.

Go ahead and uninstall it like I said, or use an uninstaller as the other guy said and its solved.. it's not malware, just adware :)

5 minutes ago, pmos said:

Edit: here is a link to uninstall it http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/404330-how-delete-avast-popup-after-uninstalled.html (I dont think you need to boot in safe mode tho)

After stewing on this a little, here's another point: why would Microsoft push a third party AV when they have an AV themselves? And even if the EU forced Microsoft to advertise other AVs, they wouldn't install some third party AV for you, they'd just give you a list of options. Or something.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Check Task Scheduler.  I've seen recently with some images of Windows 7, that after removing Avast it would still pop up about a "Windows 10 update" for it.  It turns out, there was still a scheduled task popup, even though Avast had been removed.

Are you sure  you didn't download it when adding Flash or something? I forget who adds the 3rd party crap to their installers, but with a new machine I know you can get click happy and might of missed unchecking a box.

Just now, WereCat said:

lol. How do you know that there aren't any registry entries still present for Avast. Or other files lying around on C? The program itself may be gone but it could have leftovers still sitting around. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

Check Task Scheduler.  I've seen recently with some images of Windows 7, that after removing Avast it would still pop up about a "Windows 10 update" for it.  It turns out, there was still a scheduled task popup, even though Avast had been removed.

Thats the point, avast leaves this app on the systems for advertisements when you uninstall avast from the control panel

1 minute ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Are you sure  you didn't download it when adding Flash or something? I forget who adds the 3rd party crap to their installers, but with a new machine I know you can get click happy and might of missed unchecking a box.

Nope, I never had Flash installed on this machine.

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

lol. How do you know that there aren't any registry entries still present for Avast. Or other files lying around on C? The program itself may be gone but it could have leftovers still sitting around. 

I don't lol... I would know if it starts to pop up again, then I would know that Shift+Del isn't enough :D

1 minute ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Thanks, looks like that's it.

avast2.JPG.16260e2a3083f1dd0fcb10e71d80b392.JPG

So when you upgrade Windows version to another. Depending on the program setups, Windows setup re-executes them to re-install them. (well.. not really... it reads the script file of the setup, and execute everything, so it can register any files that needs to be registered, setup the registry, and makes sure the needed files are there). However, if the setup has a bug, say it comes included with Avast, and it didn't keep rack of your selection to NOT have it installed, it may get installed.

Another possibility is that you had a software, you uninstalled it, but the uninstaller did such a poor job ('cause screw you for removing their software, right?), it doesn't remove the setup, nor properly clean itself up, so when you upgrade, Windows detected the setups, and finds that it was a program you had installed.

The only bloatware that Windows 10 comes with, are Universal Apps. Those are fully sandboxed software, which can be uninstalled cleanly (if you don't don't have the uninstall option when you right-click on it, then it is not installed, it is just a shortcut to the store to download it once you click on it, and you can just unpin it. No trace left). These bloated software is different based on region, and yes Microsoft gets money from the creators of these apps. And Microsoft sees it as a win-win-win situation: Fully sandboxed, so super secure and don't need to worry about security of these apps, removes without a trace, makes money, can't run on the background and do things without the user knowing (again, sandboxed), promotes the UWP platform, and the OS Store. Example of these apps are: Facebook, Twitter and Candy Crush. You only get them on a new account creation (which includes the a clean install, as your account if created when you login for the first time.)

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Example of these apps are: Facebook, Twitter and Candy Crush. You only get them on a new account creation (which includes the a clean install, as your account if created when you login for the first time.)

The first thing I do when installing Windows 10 on a machine (either one for repair, or a new system we've built), is to go through the list of apps and uninstall all of that garbage.  Especially those three.