UPDATE: LAUNCHED OFFICIALLY, REVIEWS ARE OUT. The RX5xx lineup has leaked in its entirety, launching April 18th (Polaris Refresh)

captain cactus
On 16-4-2017 at 2:32 AM, The Benjamins said:

My friend works at microcenter and they got some RX 580s in, will get a pic if I can.

Edit: MSI RX 580 listed as $250

download_20170415_204338.jpg

Huh, release-day custom cards at or very near MSRP? That's new. 

Ye ole' train

27 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Huh, release-day custom cards at or very near MSRP? That's new. 

well supply shouldn't be that low due to it being a refresh and it can't cost much more then the 400's

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

15 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

well supply shouldn't be that low due to it being a refresh and it can't cost much more then the 400's

Well yeah you have a brand new product on release day with some artificially high prices, but it's much better than the RX480 launch. 

Ye ole' train

I haven't bothered to read through the thread so bear that in mind.

The Xbox Scorpio is using a GPU that has 40 compute units and is supposed to be "customized." I haven't heard anything related to that die at all before the Scorpio announcement. Perhaps that will get a PC debut?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

The Xbox Scorpio is using a GPU that has 40 compute units and is supposed to be "customized." I haven't heard anything related to that die at all before the Scorpio announcement. Perhaps that will get a PC debut?

Could be the alleged Polaris 12 GPU that was in development until recently......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It'll be exciting to see if the overclockability has improved at all in comparison to the 400 series.

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Could be the alleged Polaris 12 GPU that was in development until recently......

Could be.

I'm probably going to buy Vega 10 though and finally make use of my FreeSync monitor.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

31 minutes ago, Humbug said:

It's a bit difficult to take an older gen from the competing brand to compare against and not come across looking like a manipulative harpy.  It's not particularly easy to put anything from that video into perspective without 1060 and 1070 numbers as well.

37 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

No, it's a full SOC. You can't release that as a GPU. Besides VEGA is larger, so there wouldn't be any point.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Notional said:

No, it's a full SOC. You can't release that as a GPU. Besides VEGA is larger, so there wouldn't be any point.

Depends on if Small Vega can cover the gap between RX 580 and GTX 1080.

I hope AMD has a compelling GTX 1070 rival at a slightly lower price; that along with RX 580 are the sweetspots for most consumers.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

31 minutes ago, Notional said:

Is it or is it an MCM?

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Is it or is it an MCM?

Doesn't matter if it's on its own pcb like an MCM. Oops, thought you meant MXM. Well he chip itself is a soc still:

Xbox-Scorpio-Shot-01.jpg

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Doesn't matter if it's on its own pcb like an MCM. The chip itself is a soc: 

That's not how MCMs work but whatever.

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Is it or is it an MCM?

Likely an SoC. Wouldn't stop a Polaris 12 with 40 enabled CUs though.

Although I recall AMD stating that Polaris was basically done, no new models were supposed to come out. If the 580 really is a refined 480 with higher base clock, then I wonder what happened to Vega's manufacture to cuase AMD to go back on their statement.

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

Doesn't matter if it's on its own pcb like an MCM. The chip itself is a soc:

An SoC is one die, even if it has CCX's like Ryzen. MCMs can put the entire chipset onto the package, but it isn't an SoC because there are still multiple chips on the package, and can be isolated for repurposing (such as a GPU).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Likely an SoC. Wouldn't stop a Polaris 12 with 40 enabled CUs though.

Although I recall AMD stating that Polaris was basically done, no new models were supposed to come out. If the 580 really is a refined 480 with higher base clock, then I wonder what happened to Vega's manufacture to cuase AMD to go back on their statement.

An SoC is one die, even if it has CCX's like Ryzen. MCMs can put the entire chipset onto the package, but it isn't an SoC because there are still multiple chips on the package, and can be isolated for repurposing (such as a GPU).

I've already cleared up the mistake. All pictures we've seen of the Scorpio shows it's a SOC.

A polaris chip would require an entirely new chip though. All to get up to low end VEGA perf. Makes little sense.

13 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Sapphire is launching a new Nitro, with the RX5xx GPU on it. Goes live in about 21 hours at the time of writing this.

https://sapphirenation.net/thenewnitro/

Sapphire is also launching a Pulse lineup, and a mini 570 at around 6.7 inches. :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

40 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Sapphire is also launching a Pulse lineup, and a mini 570 at around 6.7 inches. :P

Now for a mini RX580...

Ye ole' train

2 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

It's a bit difficult to take an older gen from the competing brand to compare against and not come across looking like a manipulative harpy.  It's not particularly easy to put anything from that video into perspective without 1060 and 1070 numbers as well.

AMD's intention with those comparisons may simply be to attract gtx 970 users to jump on board. The gtx 970 is the most used discrete GPU today according to steam. AMD wants to attract those guys by showing them more performance. They know the gtx 1060 users won't bite because it's too soon. On the other hand gtx 970 is older, a bit slower, less comprehensive driver support etc... AMD is saying to them sell your gtx 970s and buy a modern rx 580. It's actually a huge amount of people who use 970s.

21 hours ago, Humbug said:

AMD's intention with those comparisons may simply be to attract gtx 970 users to jump on board. The gtx 970 is the most used discrete GPU today according to steam. AMD wants to attract those guys by showing them more performance. They know the gtx 1060 users won't bite because it's too soon. On the other hand gtx 970 is older, a bit slower, less comprehensive driver support etc... AMD is saying to them sell your gtx 970s and buy a modern rx 580. It's actually a huge amount of people who use 970s.

So...They ARE manipulative harpies then and not just coming across as such.  Not that that would surprise me.  My original comment was more about the uslessness of the video than anything else.  Though I'd suspect the person who made it did so to the best of their ability with the means at their disposal; still it wasn't useful, unless it was just meant as an AMD/RTG advert.

2 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

So...They ARE manipulative harpies then and not just coming across as such.  Not that that would surprise me.  My original comment was more about the uslessness of the video than anything else.  Though I'd suspect the person who made it did so to the best of their ability with the means at their disposal; still it wasn't useful, unless it was just meant an AMD/RTG advert.

I'd say it's more about targeting their potential base.  Why aim for people who are unlikely to buy your product?  Go for the ones who are ready to upgrade, and give them a reason to.  Is it manipulative?  Probably.  Is it effective?  Well have to wait and see.

49 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I'd say it's more about targeting their potential base.  Why aim for people who are unlikely to buy your product?  Go for the ones who are ready to upgrade, and give them a reason to.  Is it manipulative?  Probably.  Is it effective?  Well have to wait and see.

Let me ask you this.  Who is the person who made and uploaded the video to youtube, and what is their affiliation and agenda?

Is it an RTG official video advert?  If not, why would anyone do this, especially in this way?

I'd understand amd/nvidia doing this, but us regular schmoes talking to each other wouldn't think to make this sort of clear as mud performance comparison.