Success! XFX R9 290 flashed to Asus R9 290X!

OntarioTL

worse ?

are u talking about the benchmarks LTT showed on youtube ?

if so its because linus (infinite wisdom) thinks its a good idea to OC cards they review to its full extent

Yes I am, are we basically say that the 290 is a restricted card nothing more?

I have switched back to xfx bios for now, I do see some improvement but is it enough to justify possibly killing your card?

For now, I say no. But I did have fun flashing it and seeing those extra shaders and TMU's like the 290X has.

I don't mind being the guinea pig to find if it's possible, but I'm not sure I want to be the one to say I killed my card.

I am curious to know if the board specs are exactly the same as the R290X (components on board)

I will say this though, the 290 is no slouch when overclocking and with steady clocks, it does keep up with his "X" brother quite well.

Yes I am, are we basically say that the 290 is a restricted card nothing more?

i really wouldn't say restricted

im sure some 290 cards wont be stable when unlocked

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i really wouldn't say restricted

im sure some 290 cards wont be stable when unlocked

most of them won't be stable unlocked, for the one that can it will be an awesome deal.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I'd rather flash a 465 Golden Edition to a 470

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

most of them won't be stable unlocked, for the one that can it will be an awesome deal.

do u think binned (OC cards) 290s will have a better chance ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'd rather flash a 465 Golden Edition to a 470

465 ?

are you talking about fermi cards ?

why would u rather use a slower card ?

do u think binned (OC cards) 290s will have a better chance ?

no they will have the same chance of unlocking as refernce cards, but they might be cooler if they do unlock.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

So.... Here's an idea.

I already own an XFX 290X. If I buy an XFX 290 and flash it to an ASUS 290X, will they crossfire? Or can a 290 and 290X crossfire anyway?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Congrats. Awesome value with this little trick.

CPU i7 970 |  COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper N520 | Ram: 12GB DDR3 1333 GPU: GTX 560Ti | Mobo: EVGA Classified 3 | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | Boot Drive: 120GB OCZ Vertex | Games Drive: 2TB WD Green | OS: Windows 7 | Monitors: 40in Samsung LN40A650, 2x 24in Samsung T240HD

So.... Here's an idea.

I already own an XFX 290X. If I buy an XFX 290 and flash it to an ASUS 290X, will they crossfire? Or can a 290 and 290X crossfire anyway?

Right now, I would say its a high risk to get a Xfx 290 to try and flash to a 290x if you already own one. I've been reading results tonight that even Xfx cards are not 100% flashable.

aaaaaaannnnnnd.......just posting my own results, not a story from another site  :P

The average FPS seems to be very minimal. But the good thing is that you will be watercooling it which allows you to achieve higher overclocks with this bios. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The average FPS seems to be very minimal. But the good thing is that you will be watercooling it which allows you to achieve higher overclocks with this bios. :)

That was my observation as well, which lead me to rethink about keeping the 290X bios running and going back to the original 290. It actually does the job quite nicely without the need for extra shaders.

This was pretty popular to do with the 7950's (to 7970) as well as far as I remember. You either brick your card or get more for less. Whether or not you're willing to risk it is all up to you. :D Good job though, happy it worked out for you.

7950's could not be flashed to 7970's. 6950's could be flashed to 6970's though

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

7950's could not be flashed to 7970's. 6950's could be flashed to 6970's though

Oh... Yes, that! My memory is already failing me at 21, I wonder what it will be like when I'm 60. Then again I was never an ATI / AMD guy, but I got it part right! :D

i like how you subvendor went from XFX to Asus LOL

CPU: i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Maximus V Extreme | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengance Red 1866Mhz | GPU:Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 SLI | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 2x1TB Seagate barracuda in RAID 1 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: HAF X Nvidia Edition | Mouse: Corsair M95 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 | LG Blu-Ray Player | 27" 2560x1440p Shimian, Acer 1920x1080p | AKG K550 Headphones | Behringer MS40 Speakers

Bought my XFX 290 today. Since it takes a few days to arrive, I am preparing the surgical procedure to make it into an ASUS R9 290X, hopefully.

Can someone please explain to me how does it work on flashing the two bios?

I got the instructions, basically you boot with a flash drive, run a program and flash the card. Since it has two BIOS, and a little switch to choose from one another (UBER, QUIET), I'm supposing it flashes the one chosen at boot time.

So, I'll make a backup of my current bios and try to flash it. What do I need to do if it does not boot, and I want to flash the bios back?

Do I need to boot using the other bios, then flick the little switch and try to flash again? 

What is the correct procedure to do, so I don't end up flashing the two BIOS with the ASUS one?

BTW - I have onboard graphics as well, I think I can always resort to using them.

Cheers!

I hope AMD doesn't put a stop to this but they probably will. I'm guessing the non-reference designs won't be able to do this..