Want to secure my unsecured wifi

DeNasty

A long time ago I saw a post about someone who secured his wifi by filtering out MAC address but anyone could still connect and browse the internet the only issue was that all the web pages would load upside down and reversed as though they were viewed in a mirror.

it this something that can actually be done or was it just a fake post to make people chuckle and if it's possible how can I do this for myself 

IMG_8180.JPG

I'd say fake...can't see how MAC addresses can affect the code used for formatting the page :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I'd say fake...can't see how MAC addresses can affect the code used for formatting the page :P 

Well, you could totally do this actually.  You can filter any network activity by MAC if you wanted.  So you could have a white list of MAC addresses and those just passed through to the internet.  Then any MACs not on the white list could have ports restricted or even have their traffic redirected though a server that instead processes the incoming data and makes alterations before delivering it.  This is how some hotspot services can inject ads and stuff.

While the image in the OP is most certianly fake, it's not IMPOSSIBLE that someone could go so far as to capture every image file going through your cache server for non-whitelisted MACs, apply a transform to mirror them, and to manipulate text and such.  ...But the level of effort to make that work at all would be tremendous while yielding little for the effort other than you imagining grimaced faces in neighboring apartments.

Well what about routing the non approved MAC addresses to to a certain website so no matter what site the try to go to they can only visit a single webpage.  

Edited by DeNasty
Autocorrect

2 minutes ago, DeNasty said:

Well what about routing the non approved MAC addresses to to a certain website so no matter what site the try to go to they can only visit a single webpage.  

This is something that DDWRT could even probably do.  Though I wouldn't outright know how to do it.

Frankly, it seems like you just want to be a jerk.  Also, the very concept is a security risk.  While you're trying to sandbox unwanted MACs so they don't access your internet or the rest of your network, to do this, you are inherently letting someone onto your network and just trying to restrict them.  This is inherently less secure then just keeping them out of your network entirely.  You could screw something up or there could be an unknown vulnerability or who knows what.  It's smarter and easier to just keep unwanted individuals out with a solid WPA2 scheme.

It's not that I'm a jerk it's that my isp router send off two wireless network my own and an extra one for anyone who is also with my isp so they can login to the router and use wifi away from their own router but my internet connection suffers from people streaming Netflix off of my router. I went and got a separate wifi router but the unsecured wifi seems to be hard wired into the modem and I can't turn it off 

7 hours ago, DeNasty said:

It's not that I'm a jerk it's that my isp router send off two wireless network my own and an extra one for anyone who is also with my isp so they can login to the router and use wifi away from their own router but my internet connection suffers from people streaming Netflix off of my router. I went and got a separate wifi router but the unsecured wifi seems to be hard wired into the modem and I can't turn it off 

if you dont use the wifi on your isp router i googled this , take aluminum foil and make a box and stick your router in it with a ziplock bag/plastic wrap so nothing shorts  , if it works no signals get out so no one can connect. , i havent tried it . but i think it would work or make the range smaller of the router .the anti static bag might work a pc MB comes it , im 50/50 on this working. it only takes one dick to torrent on your connection and your screwed

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

12 hours ago, DeNasty said:

What? Broadcasting a second connection won't help with people using up bandwidth.

Did you say your ISP modem is giving off an unsecured wifi connection purposely? If this is the case, then call them up and tell them they're fucking retards and demand it gets fixed. Even if they're with the ISP, they shouldn't be able to use your bandwidth that YOU'RE paying for. If you look in your router's control panel, there might be a way to turn it off.

24 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

What? Broadcasting a second connection won't help with people using up bandwidth.

Did you say your ISP modem is giving off an unsecured wifi connection purposely? If this is the case, then call them up and tell them they're fucking retards and demand it gets fixed. Even if they're with the ISP, they shouldn't be able to use your bandwidth that YOU'RE paying for. If you look in your router's control panel, there might be a way to turn it off.

It's unsecured but you need to be a customer of the isp when you connect it asks you to log into you account to access the internet that network. And it doesn't shut off when you turn the wifi off but it still effects my speed. 

1 minute ago, DeNasty said:

It's unsecured but you need to be a customer of the isp when you connect it asks you to log into you account to access the internet that network. And it doesn't shut off when you turn the wifi off but it still effects my speed. 

I'm sure kali linux has some neat tools you can use to persuade people to stop connecting to that wifi. If hacking isn't your passion, as I said, you should probably call up your ISP, and demand one of the engineers comes to turn it off.

2 hours ago, Mornincupofhate said:

ISP's like Comcast has a secondary SSID that any one can connect to. This is how they have "free wifi" around cities and shit.  I think you get so much free data before you have to pay. Customers with Comcast, just sign in and any data used goes against their cap. 

Comcast's special SSID cannot be disabled. And many times when it is, it comes back. The only way to solve this, is to buy your own modem and router. Which is what I did. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

ISP's like Comcast has a secondary SSID that any one can connect to. This is how they have "free wifi" around cities and shit.  I think you get so much free data before you have to pay. Customers with Comcast, just sign in and any data used goes against their cap. 

Comcast's special SSID cannot be disabled. And many times when it is, it comes back. The only way to solve this, is to buy your own modem and router. Which is what I did. 

I have got my own router but as I said there's no way to turn of that second wifi network if the modem is plugged in 

5 hours ago, DeNasty said:

I have got my own router but as I said there's no way to turn of that second wifi network if the modem is plugged in 

Put the router in a metal pot.

Faraday cage.  Bam.  No wireless EM signals will get in or out.  Only wires coming out of the pot.  Or metal cage.  Or honestly, you could probably literally wrap it in tinfoil.

6 hours ago, DeNasty said:

can't you get your own modem? if you use Comcast you can get your own and call in to get it configured, that what I did.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

14 hours ago, DeNasty said:

Who is your ISP and what router do you have?

10 hours ago, DeNasty said:

Most if ISP's give our a modem/router combo. So if you have one of those, then yes the SSID is going to work, because its not coming from you router. As I said earlier, you have to have you own MODEM to solve this issue. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Most if ISP's give our a modem/router combo. So if you have one of those, then yes the SSID is going to work, because its not coming from you router. As I said earlier, you have to have you own MODEM to solve this issue. 

Honestly as I said above, if it's that much trouble to disable the SSID, I would just boot up kali and show people why they shouldn't be connecting to public wifi.

24 minutes ago, DeNasty said:

I'm gonna get my own modem I didn't even know I could do that 

We save $120 a year having our own modem. Hell it took us less than a year to pay off the investment. 

MAC filtering is almost no protection at all. If you just use any wireless network sniffer tool you can find MAC address of the clients and then change your MAC address to correspond to the legitimate client ones.

Regarding the screenshot, I was pranking my roommate with similar stuff long time ago. Just some ARP poisoning and a script which will change all of the packets going to his PC. 

On 4/9/2017 at 5:02 PM, Mornincupofhate said:

"Hello <MYISP>. Your company's decision to broadcast a secondary SSID from the modem is my house is absurd. Because of this, I believe you are Foo-King Wee-Turds and request you disable it immediately or I'm not paying you any more money. K thanks bai."

Something tells me this won't go over too well. :D 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)