Help with 5GHZ OC 7700K

Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,

Temp isn't a problem, even if you hit 100 all that would happen is thermal throttling, but can't see it happening unless you happen to be in a country where the ambient temp at the moment is very low and summer is going to increase that by a lot... and that's if you don't have A/C?

If neither of the above applies to you, then it's completely fine, you will not see that in normal usage.

Hey guys just wondering if this seems safe, i have a Corsair air 240 case with a h100iv2 240mm rad and an i7 7700k oc'd to 5ghz but my max synthetic load temps in realbench are 89 at max and anywhere from 70-85 avg, is this safe and is there anything i can do to lower temps with keeping 5ghz, i cant go any lower on voltage, and should i adjust my CPU Cache Frequency? Thanks

what voltage are you running? are you using LLC? is the fan speed maxed out?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Finlay Massie said:

Hey guys just wondering if this seems safe, i have a Corsair air 240 case with a h100iv2 240mm rad and an i7 7700k oc'd to 5ghz but my max synthetic load temps in realbench are 89 at max and anywhere from 70-85 avg, is this safe and is there anything i can do to lower temps with keeping 5ghz, i cant go any lower on voltage, and should i adjust my CPU Cache Frequency? Thanks

It is completely safe, especially considering that you will not get that high under normal loads.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

what voltage are you running? are you using LLC? is the fan speed maxed out?

Balanced Preset in Corsair Link i think 1000RPM and pump is at around 1950RPM And i think im at about 1.360VCore im trying to push lower but i think t at where its gonna get

1 minute ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

It is completely safe, especially considering that you will not get that high under normal loads.

Cool, 89C just Looks Fuckin Scary man!

1 minute ago, Finlay Massie said:

Balanced Preset in Corsair Link i think 1000RPM and pump is at around 1950RPM And i think im at about 1.360VCore im trying to push lower but i think t at where its gonna get

temp seems a bit on the high side to me, i would drop the overclock to maybe 4.8GHz and see what temps that gives you and then tweek the voltage down

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

temp seems a bit on the high side to me, i would drop the overclock to maybe 4.8GHz and see what temps that gives you and then tweek the voltage down

I Might give it a shot, would be sad as i wanted the golden 5GHZ Lol ;(

Temp isn't a problem, even if you hit 100 all that would happen is thermal throttling, but can't see it happening unless you happen to be in a country where the ambient temp at the moment is very low and summer is going to increase that by a lot... and that's if you don't have A/C?

If neither of the above applies to you, then it's completely fine, you will not see that in normal usage.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

HAHAHAH YOu Guessed it, i live in australia, just winter now, bloody hot summers, no ac, fml you guessed everything right lol

Temperature a bit high imo.

Guess you didn't win the silicon lottery.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, Finlay Massie said:

HAHAHAH YOu Guessed it, i live in australia, just winter now, bloody hot summers, no ac, fml you guessed everything right lol

LOL, I'm the opposite, live in the UK, so coming up to summer soon... not that we get much of a summer most times ;p

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

In that case, you'll be fine for winter usage, but might need to dial it down considerably for the summer if no A/C... where in AUS are you, not in the north I hope as you will be not be happy for summer usage.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

LOL, I'm the opposite, live in the UK, so coming up to summer soon... not that we get much of a summer most times ;p

So lucky, i love the cold haha

Hey OP, I got my 7700k clocked to 5.1 with a chance clock of 4.8 with no problems, it throttles for fleeting milliseconds during benchmarks, but I never had any problems.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones.