Nvidia announces new Titan card: Titan XP

So Nvidia is seemingly screwing over the original Titan x pascal owners by releasing cards like the 1080ti which offers the same if not more performance for way less money. But as if that wasn't enough Nvidia has now announced a "new Titan XP" which is a slightly better version of the older Titan X Pascal. Just when you thought you had the best card on the market a slightly better one comes out. I'm not against releasing better cards, but i understand that this can be quite frustrating for some high end PC builders. Besides, with the information there is right now it seems that all they did was unlock the two extra SMs and boost the frequency. Something that, in my opinion, they should have done from the start with the old Titan Pascal.

Article from tomshardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-titan-xp-graphics-card-gp102,34079.html

nividia website:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/titan-xp/

lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

marketing at nvidia 2016: let's call our titan the same as last year because we were out of cool letters.

marketing at nvidia 2016: oh no they called they called our pascal titan x the titan xp, let's cause even more confusion by naming our new titan the titan xp just like the last one.

Dear Nvidia marketing team: screw you.

I'm not a fanboy of either Nvidia or AMD, but I think after this Generation, I won't buy another GPU from Nvidia. I have had it with their recent anti-consumer practices. I won't change my mind until they stop this bullshit. Weather you agree with me or not, you gotta admit Nvidia is being an ass with it's unjustifiably high prices, exclusivity (ex. G-Sync is closed sourced, and Free sync is open sourced), and their anti-consumer attitude. I get that companies have to make money, but they shouldn't be allowed to gouge people.

High prices's aren't NVidia's fault. Rather lack of competition is at fault for that.

I do agree that Nvidia's naming stuff is stupid. Can we please get a strait name for a change.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 PRO CARBON AC | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC ULTRA |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz |
Phaneks Evolv Tempered Glass | Seasonic FOCUS Gold+ 750W |
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | 860 EVO 500GB | 850 PRO 256GB | Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM

1 hour ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

I'm not a fanboy of either Nvidia or AMD, but I think after this Generation, I won't buy another GPU from Nvidia. I have had it with their recent anti-consumer practices. I won't change my mind until they stop this bullshit. Weather you agree with me or not, you gotta admit Nvidia is being an ass with it's unjustifiably high prices, exclusivity (ex. G-Sync is closed sourced, and Free sync is open sourced), and their anti-consumer attitude. I get that companies have to make money, but they shouldn't be allowed to gouge people.

Just because a company makes products you can't afford does not mean they are being an ass or anti-consumer.

I bet you can't afford a lambo or bugatti either. Does that mean they are gouging people?

NOPE

They are just making a higher end product for higher class people, with a higher class price tag.

If the 1070 cost $1200 then that would be gouging, but it doesn't, it's a reasonably priced product for the middle class.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i'm done with nvidia.

everything i own is intel/nvidia..

but i'm done with nvidia.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'm done with nvidia.

everything i own is intel/nvidia..

but i'm done with nvidia.

Intel doesnt make cases. Intel does not make PSU's. Intel doesnt make real graphics cards. Intel doesnt make RAM modules.

Same with nvidia but take out the gpu thing.

now look at this net

Just now, Nitrous said:

Intel doesnt make cases. Intel does not make PSU's. Intel doesnt make real graphics cards. Intel doesnt make RAM modules.

Same with nvidia but take out the gpu thing.

i think you kinda misunderstood what i said..

i meant all my systems are intel cpu / nvidia gpu. it's not a fanboy thing, it's an ease of use thing. but this kind of crap doesnt make my use easy, so i dont want it in my life :D

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i think you kinda misunderstood what i said..

i meant all my systems are intel cpu / nvidia gpu. it's not a fanboy thing, it's an ease of use thing. but this kind of crap doesnt make my use easy, so i dont want it in my life :D

oh k

now look at this net

28 minutes ago, mikat said:

marketing at nvidia 2016: let's call our titan the same as last year because we were out of cool letters.

marketing at nvidia 2016: oh no they called they called our pascal titan x the titan xp, let's cause even more confusion by naming our new titan the titan xp just like the last one.

Dear Nvidia marketing team: screw you.

THIS MAKES ME SO FUCKING ANGRY. The takeaway from this should have been that it was the new best GPU for the same price as the old Titain XP, but they have to fucking spoil it by, again, naming it the most confusing and easily mistakable product name they could think of.

Fuck them, there's no way on the planet this shit isn't deliberate.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Just because a company makes products you can't afford does not mean they are being an ass or anti-consumer.

I bet you can't afford a lambo or bugatti either. Does that mean they are gouging people?

NOPE

They are just making a higher end product for higher class people, with a higher class price tag.

If the 1070 cost $1200 then that would be gouging, but it doesn't, it's a reasonably priced product for the middle class.

I think you need to realize what your status in society is and come to terms with the fact that some products are just not made for people like you.

It's the harsh truth.

Remember when you could buy the GTX 580 at $500 when it came out and the titan didn't exist? Pepper Ridge Farm remembers. The issue is that they are continuously raise the price of their high end products with each generation. The GTX 580 used to be the titan of its day. Featuring the full fat Fermi core. Then, with the GTX 680, they cut down the full Kepler core, then released the titan at $1000 which had full Kepler core. Today, if the titan didn't exist, then the GTX 1080 would be the Titan XP. That's how it used to be. Then, Nvidia decided to cut down the GPU core and made the titan SKU. This then made the 80 series of cards be titan wannabes. Going back to your car analogy, they basically took a ford focus, made it crappier and more expensive, then took what was once so great about the focus, and rename it to the fusion and give it a larger price tag than it should have. I could easily afford a titan XP right now. But will I buy it? No, because I don't need it

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

3 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

THIS MAKES ME SO FUCKING ANGRY. The takeaway from this should have been that it was the new best GPU for the same price as the old Titain XP, but they have to fucking spoil it by, again, naming it the most confusing and easily mistakable product name they could think of.

Fuck them, there's no way on the planet this shit isn't deliberate.

Lets put on out tin foil hats! Its conspiracy time! lol

*Draws lines on walls that connect random pictures*

"This means something!"

10 minutes ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

Remember when you could buy the GTX 580 at $500 when it came out and the titan didn't exist? Pepper Ridge Farm remembers. The issue is that they are continuously raise the price of their high end products with each generation. The GTX 580 used to be the titan of its day. Featuring the full fat Fermi core. Then, with the GTX 680, they cut down the full Kepler core, then released the titan at $1000 which had full Kepler core. Today, if the titan didn't exist, then the GTX 1080 would be the Titan XP. That's how it used to be. Then, Nvidia decided to cut down the GPU core and made the titan SKU. This then made the 80 series of cards be titan wannabes. Going back to your car analogy, they basically took a ford focus, made it crappier and more expensive, then took what was once so great about the focus, and rename it to the fusion and give it a larger price tag than it should have. I could easily afford a titan XP right now. But will I buy it?

Actually, it's more like the fact that most people don't need hypercars therefore weaker versions of the same product are sold to consumers at a consumer price tag.

Just like most people don't need a titan XP to play games at 1080p 60fps.

The 580 couldn't even do 1080p 60fps on intensive games.

It seems like you have trouble understanding the difference between consumer needs and the rate of technological progression.

PS - no, just because you have $1200 in your bank account doesn't mean you can afford something. That's not what "afford" means.

The people who make 6 figures and own a 6950X, $500+ motherboards, 1TB ssds, etc. are the people who can "afford" the disposable income for one or multiple $1200 GPUs.

Spoiler

Thread cleaned.

Not sure why I have remind people of the Community Standards, but this still applies;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

calling each other "low class" and morons is obviously against the spirit of the CS. Please stay respectful of each other! 

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

Lets put on out tin foil hats! Its conspiracy time! lol

*Draws lines on walls that connect random pictures*

"This means something!"

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that giving three products the exact same name was a coincidence and not a conscious decision but you are wrong.

Do you think they named each Nvidia Shield by throwing darts at a dictionary too?

53 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Actually, it's more like the fact that most people don't need hypercars therefore weaker versions of the same product are sold to consumers at a consumer price tag.

Just like most people don't need a titan XP to play games at 1080p 60fps.

The 580 couldn't even do 1080p 60fps on intensive games.

It seems like you have trouble understanding the difference between consumer needs and the rate of technological progression.

PS - no, just because you have $1200 in your bank account doesn't mean you can afford something. That's not what "afford" means.

The people who make 6 figures and own a 6950X, $500+ motherboards, 1TB ssds, etc. are the people who can "afford" the disposable income for one or multiple $1200 GPUs.

I agree, and I think it's also worth remembering why they didn't just release a 3840 core GP-102 in the consumer space until now. They kept that GPU in the extremely expensive Quadro P6000 and sold cut down variants in the Titan X and 1080 Ti because of poor yields. Maybe impending Vega forced the timing of this, but it didn't force the existence of it.

Also I'm not sure why people are singling out Nvidia either, when the only thing preventing AMD from price matching them like they normally do is their lack of a high end product at the moment, and the fact that the age of the Radeon Pro Duo (which has the exact same target audience as the Titans) forced a price cut.

6 hours ago, othertomperson said:

Do you think they named each Nvidia Shield by throwing darts at a dictionary too?

1st, It was a joke, so don't take it too seriously. 2nd, Yes I do think they threw darts at a dictionary for some of their product names. The names of some of these products are horrendous. However, I gotta give credit where its due, the name "Titan X" was cool at first, but now its kinda gotten ridiculous. Nvidia could easily just use the name "Titan" followed by the architecture it is based off of. I would much perfer the new Titan X to just be called "Titan Pascel", then the next generation to be called "Titan Volta", you get the point. It would be a lot easier to distinguish between each SKU and each generation for the consumer. And in the event that Nvidia releases a refresh or updated version they could just add a simple number like "2.0" at the end.

Just now, Aw_Ginger_Snapz said:

1st, It was a joke, so don't take it too seriously. 2nd, Yes I do think they threw darts at a dictionary for some of their product names. The names of some of these products are horrendous. However, I gotta give credit where its due, the name "Titan X" was cool at first, but now its kinda gotten ridiculous. Nvidia could easily just use the name "Titan" followed by the architecture it is based off of. I would much perfer the new Titan X to just be called "Titan Pascel", then the next generation to be called "Titan Volta", you get the point. It would be a lot easier to distinguish between each SKU and each generation for the consumer. 

I still think they need to produce a dual-GPU Titan X with RGB lighting. They could call it the ZX Spectrum.

Just now, othertomperson said:

I still think they need to produce a dual-GPU Titan X with RGB lighting. They could call it the ZX Spectrum.

OMG YEEEEEEEEES! I'd buy 8 of them then thow them in SLI just because REASONS! (Yes I know that impossible. I wish it was easier to be sarcastic over text...)

i got a titan x maxwell a couple of months after it got released and then got slapped in the face a few months later when they released the titan xP (big P) for much lower and then the 1080 and then the 1080ti and now the titan xp(small p). nvidia should stop raping me already.