Should i upgrade my 6700k?

Currently after seeing many of the content regarding ryzen and all stuffs i am wondering that should i sell my 6700k and get 1700x for gaming? Means everybody here and there is telling that games will utilise more than 8 threads and all....So how much will 6700k last? Is the gaming perf of ryzen good as compared to i7 6700k(stock)? Also i know intel is releasing 6 core mainstream thats why i am a bit confused rather to upgrade to ryzen/keep whatever i have and later get coffelake 6 core?Are quad cores with hyperthreading falling behind?

Only upgrade to a 1700x if you render videos or stream.

The geek himself.

Dual cores will fall behind soon.

The geek himself.

Any Ryzen 7 is at best the same in games for now. You should instead upgrade once your 6700K isn't enough; live the present not the future.

By the time the 6700K isn't enough you'll find something better for less, I bet.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

You will be fine for a while for gaming

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

I think your performance will be better with the 6700k right now, for games anyway.

Just now, Harshil1996 said:

Currently after seeing many of the content regarding ryzen and all stuffs i am wondering that should i sell my 6700k and get 1700x for gaming? Means everybody here and there is telling that games will utilise more than 8 threads and all....So how much will 6700k last? Is the gaming perf of ryzen good as compared to i7 6700k(stock)? Also i know intel is releasing 6 core mainstream thats why i am a bit confused rather to upgrade to ryzen/keep whatever i have and later get coffelake 6 core?Are quad cores with hyperthreading falling behind?

I have a 6700k at stock and didn't even consider switching to Ryzen when it came out. The 1700x still doesn't have enough single core performance to compete with the 6700k even at stock speed. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

keep it until its old

you will gain almost nothing for now (you will lose some gaming performance)

and if you wait they will optimize and finish the bios so you wont have that pain in the ass

Normally i7 can last for a long time. No need to upgrade the 6700k.
I bet you will upgrade your GPU more frequent than your CPU when comes to gaming.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

This is mainly due to the games like watchdogs 2 and battlefield 1! While i watch those games utilize it upto 90% i feel that will it going to hold me back for next 2 years or so?

At the moment most games benefit more from higher single core performance and only a very small portion of games use more than 2 threads. So for the time being the 6700k and 7700k are beating most of the higher core count competition on both sides of the isle at least as far gaming goes. 

Now if you are doing a lot of rendering work (videos/graphics) or any kind of intensive financial or analytical modeling or doing large projects in CAD programs like autocad then more core are your friend. 

Also so side note one game that dose benefit from more cores is City Skylines... Man that game likes to number crunch!!!

My RIG:

I7 6700k - GTX 1080 -  32GB Ram - 256GB 950 Pro(boot) + 1TB 850 EVO(Programs) + 4TB 860 EVO(Games) + 1TB WD Black (Files)

1 minute ago, Harshil1996 said:

This is mainly due to the games like watchdogs 2 and battlefield 1! While i watch those games utilize it upto 90% i feel that will it going to hold me back for next 2 years or so?

wd2

2600k-revisit-wd2 1

bf1

ryzen-r7-1800x-bench-bf1

in bf1 it appears an i7 matters more if you have a +60hz panel, like 144hz. in fact if you have a 144hz monitor an i7 will help in maintaining higher fps. wd2 is a bit more cpu-intensive - maintaining 60fps requires at least an i7

however it also depends on your GPU 

then again these benches don't take into account the various optimizations Ryzen received these past few weeks so i'm not sure if it's any better 

I am on a 60 hz panel but some peoples are telling that the minimums for ryzen are better and smooth does this also apply to a 60 hz panel?

11 minutes ago, Harshil1996 said:

I am on a 60 hz panel but some peoples are telling that the minimums for ryzen are better and smooth does this also apply to a 60 hz panel?

it could be. but that should translate from the graphs via 1% and 0.1% minimums, and it doesn't. it might just be solely from experience, so you have to try running games on a Ryzen PC in-person 

it can apply to 60hz. since you'll maintain fps closer to 60hz 

edit: well maybe bf1

The differences between cpus is negligible, upgrade your gpu instead if you need more gaming performance. 

12 minutes ago, alexcheetah said:

The differences between cpus is negligible, upgrade your gpu instead if you need more gaming performance. 

*claps* this is a true answer, here here, I second this motion and would like to bring a vote to the floor

My RIG:

I7 6700k - GTX 1080 -  32GB Ram - 256GB 950 Pro(boot) + 1TB 850 EVO(Programs) + 4TB 860 EVO(Games) + 1TB WD Black (Files)

Just now, Harshil1996 said:

Yes the mins do feel smooth but does it really justify the change of components? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Actually the matter is if i sell the 6700k now i can get a better resale value but after the 6 core mainstream intel launches the quad cores will be done for! Just wanted to know that ryzen is not that much  bad for gaming right? 

Quad core i7s are no where near obsolete in gaming at the moment, what  kind of games are you trying to play anyways? How far have you overclocked the 6700k?

I know that they are not obsolete currently but have you seen cpu usages in battlefield 1 or watchdogs 2?Why such high cpu usages ? I have no oc on my i7 as i am in on 212x so dont wanna oc but will oc when i get h100i.

On 06/04/2017 at 5:50 AM, Harshil1996 said:

Keep in mind coffeelake cpu's are only round the corner intel hasn't said what socket they will use yet but they are effectively Skylake/Kabylake cpu's with 6 cores and 12threads at the top of the stack 

(My bad just noticed you already mentioned the 6 core intel cpu's coming soon, i'm actually thinking of moving from 6900k to the new coffee-lake 6 cores when they drop hopefully the single core will be better considering it's mainstream but who knows.

On 06/04/2017 at 6:04 AM, Legeis said:

At the moment most games benefit more from higher single core performance and only a very small portion of games use more than 2 threads. So for the time being the 6700k and 7700k are beating most of the higher core count competition on both sides of the isle at least as far gaming goes. 

Now if you are doing a lot of rendering work (videos/graphics) or any kind of intensive financial or analytical modeling or doing large projects in CAD programs like autocad then more core are your friend. 

Also so side note one game that dose benefit from more cores is City Skylines... Man that game likes to number crunch!!!

To a level but my 6900k falls down to i3 performance cause anything over 6 cores cities actually performs worse :( my fps drops to 12 with a gtx1080 when I tested the GTA V Cities map 

I have decided to wait for coffeelake as i dont want  to be fall behind as in past  AMD released bulldozers(so much cores) but an i5 crushed them! so i dont want that to happen if i buy ryzen 8 core and it gets rekt by 6 core coffelake. Its better to wait i guess.