Gigabyte BRIX needs UEFI update to avoid Brixing

WMGroomAK

Cylance Researchers disclosed 2 firmware vulnerabilities in the Gigabyte BRIX at the BlackHat Asia 2017 conference that would allow attackers to write malicious content into the UEFI.  To date, the researchers have been working with Gigabyte and a new firmware update is expected to be released soon to fix this.  

From the article:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/gigabyte-firmware-flaws-allow-the-installation-of-uefi-ransomware/)

Cylance researchers said they've identified these flaws at the start of the year, and have worked with Gigabyte, American Megatrends Inc. (AMI), and CERT/CC to fix the flaws in time.

Affected Gigabyte devices include GB-BSi7H-6500 (firmware version vF6), and GB-BXi7-5775 (firmware version vF2).

Gigabyte is expected to release firmware vF7 for GB-BSi7H-6500 devices in the upcoming days. The GB-BXi7-5775 line is not being produced anymore and has reached EOL (End Of Life), so Gigabyte won't be releasing a new firmware for this series.

Per the Bleeping Computers Article the details on these vulnerabilities are:

The two vulnerabilities discovered by Cylance researchers are CVE-2017-3197 and CVE-2017-3198. The first is a failure on Gigabyte's part to implement write protection for its UEFI firmware.

The second vulnerability is another lapse on Gigabyte's side, who forgot to implement a system that cryptographically signs UEFI firmware files. The second flaw also covers Gigabyte's insecure firmware update process, which doesn't check the validity of downloaded files using a checksum and uses HTTP instead of HTTPS. CERT/CC has issued an official Vulnerability Bote (VU#507496) for both flaws.

An attacker can exploit both flaws to execute code in the System Management Mode (SMM) and plant malicious code in the firmware itself. Cylance experts detail a possible attack as follows:

The attacker gains user-mode execution through an application vulnerability such as a browser exploit or a malicious Word document with an embedded script. From there, the attacker elevates his privileges by exploiting the kernel or a kernel module such as Capcom.sys to execute code in ring 0. A vulnerable SMI handler allows the attacker to execute code in SMM mode (ring -2) where he finally can bypass any write protection mechanisms and install a backdoor into the system's firmware. Write-protection mechanisms exist to prevent attackers from modifying the firmware; however, the affected systems do not enable them.

Gigabyte BRIX are small computers, similar to Intel NUCs, that can be used to replace bulky desktop towers. They are powerful devices and are very popular with businesses, due to their price, small size, and portability.

To demonstrate these flaws, the researchers installed a proof of concept UEFI ransomer that prevented the BRIX from booting, essentially bricking it, however, these same kits could be used to plant rootkits to allow for persistent malware.  I guess the best recommendation would be to keep an eye out for a new UEFI to keep your device up to date.

Originally saw this article at PCPer (https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/UEFI-ransomware-may-brick-your-BRIX) and followed back to Bleeping Computers (https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/gigabyte-firmware-flaws-allow-the-installation-of-uefi-ransomware/).  

Jesus those are horrible mistakes they made. not using https, not comparing checksums, it basically was just a windscreen used to keep bank robbers out. and then they even forgot to implement a system to check if the uefi is even signed by them in the first place? this is horrible, what a mess. this is why i want to have access to tools for reflashing bios chips and manufacturers giving proper guides on how to do it. if someone infects your bios then you're fucked. what DID they actually do to protect the uefi?

Please fix title:

"Gigabyte BRIX needs UEFI update to avoid Brixing"

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I have an i5-5200U-based (Broadwell) BRIX, so I guessing Gigabyte doesn't support it anymore with updates. I hope that I'm not affected by this vulnerability because my BRIX is a 24/7-on machine.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

6 minutes ago, Weird Face said:

I have an i5-5200U-based (Broadwell) BRIX, so I guessing Gigabyte doesn't support it anymore with updates. I hope that I'm not affected by this vulnerability because my BRIX is a 24/7-on machine.

It might be worth your time to contact Gigabyte and see if they will provide a BIOS update for you or if the one they are releasing will work on your device...  Unfortunately now that the information on this is in the wild, I would expect someone to actually try and exploit it on the affected devices that are not getting updates.

1 hour ago, Weird Face said:

you probably are vulnerable, they only confirmed it on two devices though. contact gigabyte reps to be sure and ask them for best course of action. im not sure they're going to give you any meaningful advice but at the end its all you can do i guess.

1 hour ago, WMGroomAK said:

It might be worth your time to contact Gigabyte and see if they will provide a BIOS update for you or if the one they are releasing will work on your device...  Unfortunately now that the information on this is in the wild, I would expect someone to actually try and exploit it on the affected devices that are not getting updates.

they might but the day's of script kiddies are mainly over and the product doesn't have a big enough market share for someone to make money of it with ransomware or something. the bigger problem would be targeted attacks by governments or something, depending on how important of an asset the user is to them. i wouldn't expect to see this exploited in the wild randomly targeting whoever it touches. 

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

"Gigabyte BRIX needs UEFI update to avoid Brixing"

*to avoid Brexit

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

If this system is used by businesses as the article suggests, I would expect Gigabyte to issue a fix for even their earlier models. Should they refuse to do so, I do wonder if a case could be made based on negligence on Gigabyte's part. 

The above security measures sound fairly basic and reasonably assumed to provide a minimum level of security for the UEFI, so if a data breach occurs in the future as a result of the above security flaws that it refuses to remedy, could Gigabyte be held liable? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If this system is used by businesses as the article suggests, I would expect Gigabyte to issue a fix for even their earlier models. Should they refuse to do so, I do wonder if a case could be made based on negligence on Gigabyte's part. 

Without a doubt, at least here in Australia you could

12 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Without a doubt, at least here in Australia you could

Australia is a given. I've reason to believe that in a hypothetical case involving a data breach due to the above flaws (fundamental flaws that should be considered reasonable to have fixed), a case for negligence could be made in the USA as well. 

Though, it may just as well be that Gigabyte considers the probability of litigation to be cheaper than to issue a fix. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 hours ago, Weird Face said:

I have this one too and it its still within its warranty. I wonder if such issue can be considered for RMA reasons in EU.