'Project Scorpio' exclusive info coming April 6th

ArsTechnica made a small article about Eurogamer announcing that it will have exclusive info on the 'Project Scoprpio' revision of the xbox one.

" [...] in a curious move, the outlet has pinned an exact date and time: Thursday, April 6, at 9am ET. "

Ars says that Eurogamer has been one of the harshest critics of the Xbox One specially comparing it against the PS4, so this move is either because of confidence or desperation.

"Digital Foundry has gone a long way toward confirming exactly how inferior the Xbox One has been to the stock PlayStation 4 in terms of sheer game performance. The systems' clock speeds, RAM bandwidths, and other variables have been reported on for some time, but Digital Foundry's system-comparison tests make clear exactly how Xbox One games have generally suffered as a result."

I don't know if this has been posted before but since I'm anxiously waiting for Arpil 11th, this other reveal may help me feel realized :P

source:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/xbox-scorpio-reveal-coming-on-thursday-morning-with-technical-emphasis/

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

does this mean that Scorpio will be more powerful than the ps4 pro? it's the only console it's competing against, after all. however if Xbox were competing they would have released it at relatively close to the Pro's launch. Scorpio is aiming for 4k gaming 

"4k", I don't even understand how they can market these things as 4k gaming and get away with it. I don't think a single PS4 game plays at 4k, but rather just uses reprojection and tiled rendering, and even then the resolution doesn't hit 4k but somewhere slightly below it. Usually 1440p or inbetweent 1440p and 4k

Interested to see how Scorpio goes but I expect the result to stay the same, Xbox just doesn't have a reason for anyone to buy it anymore? What exciting exclusives are there over Ps4? Practically none outside Gears, Halo, and Forza which all recently have not done very well aside from Halo 5's multiplayer. I've been thinking about heading back to my sony roots for a while (had a ps1, and ps2 fat/slim) but again, it would only be for the exclusives. And right now I'm waiting to see if sony makes a move like Microsoft to push for game everywhere for PC as well. The only thing that turns me off from buying a console is having to pay fucking $10 a month to actually play the damn games because they have bullshit drm checks and can't run without being online.

I'm interested to see where Scorpio goes, but things don't look good for Microsoft int erms of consoles not because of hardware, but because of pull to buying an xbox over a ps4

10 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

does this mean that Scorpio will be more powerful than the ps4 pro? it's the only console it's competing against, after all. however if Xbox were competing they would have released it at relatively close to the Pro's launch. Scorpio is aiming for 4k gaming 

I am fairly certain that it was confirmed a while ago that it would be more powerful than the PS4 Pro by s significant amount.

1 minute ago, mattebad said:

"4k", I don't even understand how they can market these things as 4k gaming and get away with it. I don't think a single PS4 game plays at 4k, but rather just uses reprojection and tiled rendering, and even then the resolution doesn't hit 4k but somewhere slightly below it. Usually 1440p or inbetweent 1440p and 4k

Interested to see how Scorpio goes but I expect the result to stay the same, Xbox just doesn't have a reason for anyone to buy it anymore? What exciting exclusives are there over Ps4? Practically none outside Gears, Halo, and Forza which all recently have not done very well aside from Halo 5's multiplayer. I've been thinking about heading back to my sony roots for a while (had a ps1, and ps2 fat/slim) but again, it would only be for the exclusives. And right now I'm waiting to see if sony makes a move like Microsoft to push for game everywhere for PC as well. The only thing that turns me off from buying a console is having to pay fucking $10 a month to actually play the damn games because they have bullshit drm checks and can't run without being online.

I'm interested to see where Scorpio goes, but things don't look good for Microsoft int erms of consoles not because of hardware, but because of pull to buying an xbox over a ps4

to be fair TLOU rematered is rendered at full 4k + HDR. just search "native 4k" on this page

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

i would assume Scorpio will have Forza 7 has the leading 4k title. but i have some suspicions that FM7 will come to PC via Xbox play anywhere

also the DRM check bit is false. you can play any game you want without paying for Xbox Gold. you can't play online tho 

So pretty much extra GPU power will be used to output higher resolution, upscaled 4K at times, along with ~30fps and lower settings as usual.

4K is pretty much marketing for console really, you know, extra large number in resolution stamp, justifying that 4K TV, easy to market it. Hard to market 60fps heh.

Seriously, no point going over from 1080p if you're going to have ~30fps again and also use extra GPU power that won't boost visual quality, or even fps for that matter though. 1080p high > 4k med/low. Playing 4k game and being under 60fps just seems lame in general.

But I know, marketing comes into play so yeah.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, Doobeedoo said:

So pretty much extra GPU power will be used to output higher resolution, upscaled 4K at times, along with ~30fps and lower settings as usual.

4K is pretty much marketing for console really, you know, extra large number in resolution stamp, justifying that 4K TV, easy to market it. Hard to market 60fps heh.

Seriously, no point going over from 1080p if you're going to have ~30fps again and also use extra GPU power that won't boost visual quality, or even fps for that matter though. 1080p high > 4k med/low. Playing 4k game and being under 60fps just seems lame in general.

But I know, marketing comes into play so yeah.

i actually think 4k makes more sense for consumers on the console market, 4k TV's are much more common than 4k monitors, and much easier to purchase.  Now that I think about it, 4k is a better sale on consoles than on PC games, they are late to that train.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

I am hoping to see it use a Zen&Vega APU, but expecting to see a Zen&Polaris APU. reminder it is confirmed to be over 6 Tflops of compute power, while the PS4 Pro is 4.12 Tflops

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

No matter how powerful it will actually be, it will never beat the PC.

I'm betting that the marketed 6TFlops includes both the GPU and the CPU.

21 minutes ago, VicBar said:

i actually think 4k makes more sense for consumers on the console market, 4k TV's are much more common than 4k monitors, and much easier to purchase.  Now that I think about it, 4k is a better sale on consoles than on PC games, they are late to that train.

It makes no sense, but it's easier to market.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

6 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

It makes no sense, but it's easier to market.

What do you mean?

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

[OLD]

42 minutes ago, Inkz said:

I am fairly certain that it was confirmed a while ago that it would be more powerful than the PS4 Pro by s significant amount.

I think it was like 6TF according to MS, and the pro is what 3 or something?

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

31 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I am hoping to see it use a Zen&Vega APU, but expecting to see a Zen&Polaris APU. reminder it is confirmed to be over 6 Tflops of compute power, while the PS4 Pro is 4.12 Tflops

I recall hearing that Zen isn't ready for custom implementations until 2018, so it's probably not gonna be in the Scorpio either (more likely Vega based with Jaguar cores). However, maybe that's wrong or Microsoft is paying enough to make some sort of exception and AMD will be able to do some hack job and stitch something together but I kinda think it'll be Jaguar cores so that the Xbox is the same for developers except massively increased GPU power. I'll be pleasantly surprised if AMD manages a Zen + Vega custom chip (maybe it's an off-the-shelf Raven Ridge APU instead?).

2 minutes ago, VicBar said:

What do you mean?

Things like resolution are easy to market, but it makes no sense from the perspective of the gamer, since the machine isn't powerful enough, so most games don't run at 4k, but at some weird resolution around 1440p and still run at 30FPS. FPS>resolution

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

11 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Things like resolution are easy to market, but it makes no sense from the perspective of the gamer, since the machine isn't powerful enough, so most games don't run at 4k, but at some weird resolution around 1440p and still run at 30FPS. FPS>resolution

Agreed, but from the display perspective it make more sense to have 4k gaming on your TV, because they are sold more than on a PC gaming Rig when Steam has show that the vast majority of gamers play at 1080p.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

[OLD]