How cool is it they featured SETI@home in a recent video?

In one recent video about the MSI trident 3 Linus actually briefly talked about SETI@home!

at around 2:58 you can see the SETI wallpaper. I love that they actually included this although it might not be a meaningful benchmark for anyone. However getting the word out there is the most important thing and I love that they use their position to inform people about it. Even just this few second snippet might get people interested. 

Maybe they could also do a new tech quickie video about distributed computing. 

What do you people think about this?

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I know I'm one of the people that got interested by the short clip :) 

It's not often that I can do stuff shown in a LTT video but this one got me. So I installed BOINC manager and joined SETI@Home. Quick change of some settings to give my full CPU (i7-4770k@4.2 GHz at this point) and GPU(GTX 760 with 3xWindforce cooler) power to the cause and soon enough fans on my CPU cooler (some shady-ass brand which I overpaid -.-) were going nuts. After installing the Open Hardware Monitor I checked the CPU temperatures and, lo and behold, CPU package was at a scorching 100+ °C. So lowering the frequency back to stock 3.5 GHz did the job and the temperature dipped below 80 °C (which I was still a bit sceptical about but as the CPU wasn't thermally throttled anymore I let it go to work). After about 24 hours on the job and the temperature being stable at just below 76-77 °C I decided to go over my case (NZXT Phantom) fan configuration. As soon as I mapped every fans direction of air flow i noticed that one of the CPUs cooler fans and the back exhaust fan were fighting for air with the large fan on top of the case also exhausting from about the same space. After changing the direction of the back case fan and switching the top exhaust fan to the middle-of-the-case mounting point as to induce the air flow from the back through the CPU cooler and over the motherboard to the empty space inside the case and exhausted up from the middle of the case, the temperature of the CPU package dropped by about 8 °C to high 60s and low 70s. While all of these was going on I also locally sourced a used Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler to get the temperature even lower and re-enable overclocking even at 100% CPU usage. And this is about where the story ends. Tommorow I'm picking up the new/used CPU cooler. I'm hoping for a drastic change as I have a bad feeling that the current cooler is even worse than the stock one.

All-in-all the aforementioned video helped me realize the flaws in my configuration and gave me the urge to upgrade it at least where I can afford to :P

Nice work! @JKKDev

i also had a 760 crunching for seti for some time. I paired it with a low powered Celeron. This can't supply the GPU sufficiently for Folding@Home but it works very well for SETI and other BOINC GPU projects. Finishes one WU in like 20mins :D 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

A good start.

What be sweet, is if they mention the upcoming BOINC Pentathlon.  The more, the merrier.

The 8th one is incoming!

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/start.php?&lang=en

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

It was great to see. That said i am sad i have to put folding on hold for now. Power bill got a little crazy. 

9 hours ago, manikyath said:

you do know that this is a thing right:

That thing is stupid and outdated

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

That thing is stupid and outdated

is it? it's probably not as outdated as you think.

It's just outdated on the CPU and GPU front. And the rest is stupid as always.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

...aesthetics...

Crap looks!  As long as the machine does the job.  Aesthetics nuts would have a heart attack if they saw my 24/7 F@H/BOINC rig.  Butt old 1090T on a Sabertooth board with ghetto rigged Corsair coolers held in with zip ties (with measly 4GB RAM too).  :P  Darn thing does F@H and BOINC all day, every day. 

I'm surprised the H50 still alive in it, considering the PSU died in glorious fashion last year.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

...aesthetics...

Crap looks!  As long as the machine does the job.  Aesthetics nuts would have a heart attack if they saw my 24/7 F@H/BOINC rig.  Butt old 1090T on a Sabertooth board with ghetto rigged Corsair coolers held in with zip ties (with measly 4GB RAM too).  :P  Darn thing does F@H and BOINC all day, every day. 

I'm surprised the H50 still alive in it, considering the PSU died in glorious fashion last year.

Reminds me of my sistem with rattling PSU fan. It works, but every blue moon (twice a week or once per semester) it starts to rattle very loudly. Decided to give up and throw the ing in the garbage, using a case fan strapped to the PSU via duck tape as a an alternative.

Or my top mounted TFX PSU in an ATX case (#SATA cable is streteched). WIth an IDE Molex HD passing through an IDE-Sata converter, mind you.

Ah... so gr8.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

9 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Reminds me of my sistem with rattling PSU fan. It works, but every blue moon (twice a week or once per semester) it starts to rattle very loudly. Decided to give up and throw the ing in the garbage, using a case fan strapped to the PSU via duck tape as a an alternative.

Or my top mounted TFX PSU in an ATX case (#SATA cable is streteched). WIth an IDE Molex HD passing through an IDE-Sata converter, mind you.

Ah... so gr8.

Hehe, this little folder rig been through a lot.  All parts shoved in an old NZXT Apollo case.

The computer going to have a part switch out soon.  Shoving a Sandybridge-E in there later on.  Shall be fun to mess with a Sandy again.