Old Core2Duo Build Help !

Hello, 

I have an old Core 2 Duo with motherboard and PSU with 2 gb ddr2 ram PC and looking to create a home Nas /Server to store videos and photos. I would need at least 1 tb of  secure storage (raid1) or raid 5 multiple drives for about 3-4 Tb storage. What would i need on top of what I already have and how dificult would it be ?

I don't have much server experience :)

Thanks in advance for all the help

5 minutes ago, Flavlus said:

tb of 100% secure storage (raid1) or raid 5

raid doesn't do this, backups do.

Id just install something like openmediavault and use that to manage the drives. You can setup raid in there. Don't use the raid on your motherboard.

6 minutes ago, Flavlus said:

Hello, 

I have an old Core 2 Duo with motherboard and PSU with 2 gb ddr2 ram PC and looking to create a home Nas /Server to store videos and photos. I would need at least 1 tb of 100% secure storage (raid1) or raid 5 multiple drives for about 3-4 Tb storage. What would i need on top of what I already have and how dificult would it be ?

I don't have much server experience :)

Thanks in advance for all the help

Freenas is very easy to use.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

raid doesn't do this, backups do.

Id just install something like openmediavault and use that to manage the drives. You can setup raid in there. Don't use the raid on your motherboard.

Yes raid 5 does. you can lose up to 1 drive and all teh data can be rebuilt. Raid 1 also stores 2 copies on 2 different drive ? 

Just now, Flavlus said:

Yes raid 5 does. you can lose up to 1 drive and all teh data can be rebuilt. Raid 1 also stores 2 copies on 2 different drive ? 

still won't help at all if you have randsomware, delete a file, the house burns down, or the os has a problem and craps over your data. 

You need backups, not raid

Just now, Flavlus said:

raid =/= secure was his point

it's not drive failure, it's drives actually losing power at the same time or power surge that's the issue, making it not 100% secure.

I'd get some RAID cards or SATA cards and run them through PCI-E, probably better than what's onboard on that machine

idk

still won't help at all if you have randsomware, delete a file, the house burns down, or the os has a problem and craps over your data. 

You need backups, not raid

Ok and a backup on second drive helps if your house burns down and if your OS screws something up on one drive what says it wont on the other drive at the same time ?

Just now, Flavlus said:

Ok and a backup on second drive helps if your house burns down and if your OS screws something up on one drive what says it wont on the other drive at the same time ?

offline backups and offsite. Backup to a hdd, store it at friends house or a safe deposit box.

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

raid =/= secure was his point

it's not drive failure, it's drives actually losing power at the same time or power surge that's the issue, making it not 100% secure.

I'd get some RAID cards or SATA cards and run them through PCI-E, probably better than what's onboard on that machine

Nothing in this world is 100% secure so yeah? im not sure what your argument for actual 100% secure is as literally no storage in the world is 

offline backups and offsite. Backup to a hdd, store it at friends house or a safe deposit box.

sounds good .. ill go to my friends house a few times a day to access stuff and make sure its all backed up. Raid 1/5/6 are the only realistic safe storage options for realistic home server/Nas use.

Just now, Flavlus said:

sounds good .. ill go to my friends house a few times a day to access stuff and make sure its all backed up. Raid 1/5/6 are the only realistic safe storage options for realistic home server/Nas use.

no thats not how it works.

you make a backup to a external drive and store it there, then you replace it every month. you don't use that drive when you want data. Use raid when you want more capicity with multiple drives, not data security.

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Do i need a specific raid card ? what should I look for? Are certain onses not compatible (probably will just be 7200 rpm drives in raid 5 ) or 2 1tb in raid 1 and the rest in someting like raid 0 

no thats not how it works.

you make a backup to a external drive and store it there, then you replace it every month. you don't use that drive when you want data. Use raid when you want more capicity with multiple drives, not data security.

a month of data is way to much to lose in terms of a drive faliure 

1 minute ago, Flavlus said:

Do i need a specific raid card ? what should I look for? Are certain onses not compatible (probably will just be 7200 rpm drives in raid 5 ) or 2 1tb in raid 1 and the rest in someting like raid 0 

dont' use a raid card, use software raid with onboard sata. If you need more ports get a hba. any drives will work.

Anything modern will handle Raid5 fine, go for anything. Used server HW is a plus for reliability however

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Anything modern will handle Raid5 fine, go for anything. Used server HW is a plus for reliability however

not really though. Id trust software raid more than a hardware card. The big advantage of hardware raid is speed(won't matter for a home nas) and os support(things like esxi and winserver pre 2012)

25 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

not really though. Id trust software raid more than a hardware card. The big advantage of hardware raid is speed(won't matter for a home nas) and os support(things like esxi and winserver pre 2012)

true, but I'm talking about cheap sata cards off ebay, etc. 

idk

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I will probably be using someting like free nas or something similiar 

I will probably be using someting like free nas or something similiar 

id probably use openmediavault. Its more flexable, runs better on lower spec hardware and has better compatibility due to linux. It also allows more types of raid, so you can mix drive sizes if you want with something like snap raid + merger fs

id probably use openmediavault. Its more flexable, runs better on lower spec hardware and has better compatibility due to linux. It also allows more types of raid, so you can mix drive sizes if you want with something like snap raid + merger fs

+1 for OMV, it's a solid OS.

idk

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

+1 for OMV, it's a solid OS.

does it need a drive or run of usb ?