Kodi.tv Domain Has Been Sized by the ICE

Maximoose
Go to solution Solved by Maximoose,

Solved:

Read above to figure out why. You all are geniuses.

It is an April fools joke, not a funny one though.

9 hours ago, Maximoose said:

Solved:

Read above to figure out why. You all are geniuses.

It is an April fools joke, not a funny one though.

But it can't be an April Fools joke, it isn't funny and sometimes illegal to impersonate the US government.

5 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

A challenge I presume.

Ice enforces the federal law, typically those that regulate immigration, trade, customs, etc, and investigates such crimes as necessary. It is the second largest investigative branch within the US, behind the FBI, of course. 

Copyright Infringement where data is exchanged overseas will probably fall within ICE jurisdiction, even if the suspect is native on domestic lands. (though, export of certain types of software, such as encryption, is also regulated by the US government.)

ICE is responsible for "investigating the illegal movement of people and goods."

Under which they have a Cyber Crimes division which is also responsible for:

• Digital Theft of Intellectual Property

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

32 minutes ago, dizmo said:

ICE is responsible for "investigating the illegal movement of people and goods."

Under which they have a Cyber Crimes division which is also responsible for:

• Digital Theft of Intellectual Property

I'd have figured it is the FBI that investigates the Theft of Intellectual Property within the borders. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

13 hours ago, legacy99 said:

well don't expect to get much love here. We openly dislike people who pirate content, regardless of intent. You have opened a can of worms on yourself by openly admitting you were doing this. 

This comment is ignorant on so many levels.

• Kodi / XBMC is opensource non-profit MediaCentre software, it's no more responsible for piracy than VLC, iTunes or even Windows.
  • the OP isn't looking for "love", he posted something deemed news worthy, nowhere did his post condone piracy.
  • you lack the understanding to talk on behalf of the community, and indeed you seem to lack the capability to gauge the community's opinion on any given topic.
  • April fools day requires more skepticism than usual, you need to verify things beyond just looking at face value.

If its a prank then they changed the DNS record to point to a fake website, doing so will render all sub domains useless which explains why the downloads link and community links are down.

Once they point the DNS back to their main servers (and allow for some propagation time) everything will come back as it was before.

Just RIP anybody whose OS caches the website right now. Remember folks "ipconfig /flushdns".

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/981

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2323

Decide for yourself...

FYI back in 2010 I.C.E did seize a number of domains involved in distribution of pirated and bootlegged materials. Proof

Still think its a prank though, looks like they tried to base it on some kind of reality to make it seem more credible but honestly I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turned out to be true.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/981

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2323

Decide for yourself...

FYI back in 2010 I.C.E did seize a number of domains involved in distribution of pirated and bootlegged materials. Proof

Still think its a prank though, looks like they tried to base it on some kind of reality to make it seem more credible but honestly I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turned out to be true.

As it has been confirmed that it is an April Fools it has been moved from TNR Section.

-Moved to Off Topic-

does koditv actively remove third parties that are pirating?

if no then the seizure of the central host is best way to stop the pirates

if koditv proves the bad parties are removed then they maybe restored to service. 

20 hours ago, legacy99 said:

We openly dislike people who pirate content, regardless of intent. You have opened a can of worms on yourself by openly admitting you were doing this. 

What? That's very closed minded.

No can of worms were opened either.......

On 4/1/2017 at 7:53 PM, bcguru9384 said:

does koditv actively remove third parties that are pirating?

if no then the seizure of the central host is best way to stop the pirates

if koditv proves the bad parties are removed then they maybe restored to service. 

It's an open source platform where anyone can create plugins and repositories. They have stated it's against the ideology of open source for them to block people from doing whatever they want with their open source code and but regardless they don't approve of the piracy. It's simply an open source media center software that just so happens to be used for piracy. It's no different than someone using VLC to watch pirated content.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

It's an open source platform where anyone can create plugins and repositories. They have stated it's against the ideology of open source for them to block people from doing whatever they want with their open source code and but regardless they don't approve of the piracy. It's simply an open source media center software that just so happens to be used for piracy. It's no different than someone using VLC to watch pirated content.

they still have responsibilities open source or not.

linux is open source and it actively has its community patching flaws or leaks

koditv needs to do the same for letting these "pirates" run app under koditv means an avenue that terrorist organizations may and will exploit.

how would you feel ten years from now to know that koditv had inadvertently helped finance ISIS buy the biobomb that kills your loved ones...

yes this far fetched idea but did not google grow from a webpage with ad revenue to what it is today

Just now, bcguru9384 said:

they still have responsibilities open source or not.

linux is open source and it actively has its community patching flaws or leaks

koditv needs to do the same for letting these "pirates" run app under koditv means an avenue that terrorist organizations may and will exploit.

how would you feel ten years from now to know that koditv had inadvertently helped finance ISIS buy the biobomb that kills your loved ones...

yes this far fetched idea but did not google grow from a webpage with ad revenue to what it is today

Patching isn't the same thing as actively blocking. The appropriate equivalence would be the Linux Foundation stopping some developers from making their own Distro.

Have you ever used Kodi? You install a plugin/repository which then lets you browse videos in the Kodi app, which are then streamed to your machine once played.

Also, why the hell would I ever imagine Kodi leading to terrorism? That's the biggest farce I've read in the past the weak.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Patching isn't the same thing as actively blocking. The appropriate equivalence would be the Linux Foundation stopping some developers from making their own Distro.

Have you ever used Kodi? You install a plugin/repository which then lets you browse videos in the Kodi app, which are then streamed to your machine once played.

Also, why the hell would I ever imagine Kodi leading to terrorism? That's the biggest farce I've read in the past the weak.

i did say far fetched

not that it was fact

point is their new copyright codes being released this year that will help remedy illegal video and audio streams

just pay for netflix or hulu or amazon video

you never know what maybe added to that video stream your receiving

not just picture and sound but also has data streams 

3 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

point is their new copyright codes being released this year that will help remedy illegal video and audio streams

Care to elaborate on what codes?

Also @bcguru9384, Kodi can't legally stop people from modifying their code due to their open source license.

no i do not

just remember guru warned you stay away from sites and apps with free vids

most companies and broadcasters have apps for this. use them not pirates site 

msnnews has article that says hackers are able to send commands to your smart tv thru the antenna rf waves that allow them take over your tv webbrowser and house network

soooo

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Also @bcguru9384, Kodi can't legally stop people from modifying their code due to their open source license.

yes they can 

otherwise why am i not allowed to alter apps on google OS as it also runs under gnu policy

Just now, bcguru9384 said:

yes they can 

otherwise why am i not allowed to alter apps on google OS as it also runs under gnu policy

That's not how that works. The source code is provided which you can use to alter, build, and compile your own software base. Also the apps themselves aren't necessarily under the same license.

besides koditv prank used trademarked and copyrighted images without permission

they could be shutdown or fined for that alone

do you remember the FBI warning in all vhs dvd bluray discs

x#years in prison and or 25000 dollar fine for illegal unauthorized copying and or distribution

i do believe that video streaming falls under distribution

1 minute ago, bcguru9384 said:

yes they can 

because (I'm assuming ChromeOS Apps) they are copyrighted and on write-protected media. however, while ChromeOS uses some code under the GNU licence, and is forced to release binaries for the OS's components under that, not all OS components are open source

7 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

no i do not

just remember guru warned you stay away from sites and apps with free vids

most companies and broadcasters have apps for this. use them not pirates site 

msnnews has article that says hackers are able to send commands to your smart tv thru the antenna rf waves that allow them take over your tv webbrowser and house network

soooo

That's a totally different fucking thing, not integral to this conversation.. You say all of this being in NA but here in AU it's up to $30/mo for access to some shows and they're in 480p locked on some devices and 720p on others. 

idk

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

That's not how that works. The source code is provided which you can use to alter, build, and compile your own software base. Also the apps themselves aren't necessarily under the same license.

but koditv is "hosting" the 3rd parties as you stated by allowing those plugins run under or in their parent app