Valve consults Total Biscuit & Jim Sterling

Guest Kloaked
Go to solution Solved by XenosTech,
3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Random question: which library layout do you personally use?

Think mine is default... I have to check when I get home from work

Did the way I typed that title make me look special? 

Guess I'm not allowed to make a joke

Yeah so supposedly, Valve consulted Totalbiscuit and Jim Sterling, two knuckleheads of internet personalities on the direction of Steam features. More specifically about Steam curation, indie games, and so on.

Valve has now consulted both Totalbiscuit and Jim Sterling regarding the future of Steam, discussing Steam Curation, scam games and future features for the platform.

On the topic of "scam game" studios, developers who pump low-quality content on Steam en masse, Jim Starling has stated that he was "pleased with what I (he) heard. Quite pleased indeed" with Totalbiscuit stating that "Scam games days are hopefully numbered". 

I wonder if any AAA developers are thrown into the "scam game" studios /kappa

It looks like Steam will also be changing the role of Steam Curators, giving small Curators more power within the system and more features/tools so that they can provide a better service to their followers. Below is what Totalbiscuit had to say on the topic. 

"Amongst other things small curators should be getting a big boost in usefulness. New features, incentives, tools to make their job better."

Well with the "more power and tools" that YouTube wanted to give certain people on YouTube a while back, this puts me in an odd position. Even though I don't care about Totalbiscuit or Jim Sterling anymore as I've outgrown them, and John can be an asshole to his fans a majority of the time, I wonder what these "tools" are. Are they going to be able to essentially blacklist a certain game simply because they didn't like it?

Anything works better than what Steam currently has I guess?

Special as in the Special Olympics.

So basically Valve is turnings Steam into Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare? A sarcastic British dude is now going to determine the menu you're offered. 

Although, I do wonder what tools a curator can have. Aren't curators meant to "just" recommend games?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Just now, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Whats the matter @Kloaked what game did they shit on that you liked ?

Wasn't the games. Even when I followed TB I knew we had different tastes so I took his opinion with a grain of salt - I mainly watched him for his port reports. Jim, didn't really ever care for with how he talks and call me judgmental, but he looks douchy.

The reason I don't care for TB anymore is how he treats his fans all of the time. Even before he got treatments for his cancer (I say this because his treatments did not cause this) he had no respect for anyone with a dissenting opinion than him. More often than not, he would treat his fanbase like children by posting Soundcloud voice uploads to speak his disdain for people who find his guests annoying. More specifically in that instance, he had a transgender on his show who had a shitty mic and sounded annoying as hell, but when someone said something about it he took it as bigotry and transphobia and lashed out on Twitter and Soundcloud at the subreddit.

He's done shit like that countless times and I got tired of it after the election. He basically gave me the "fuck you" since we have differing political opinions, even though I've been watching him for years knowing he's more liberal/progressive/whatever than I find ideal.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Wasn't the games. Even when I followed TB I knew we had different tastes so I took his opinion with a grain of salt - I mainly watched him for his port reports. Jim, didn't really ever care for with how he talks and call me judgmental, but he looks douchy.

The reason I don't care for TB anymore is how he treats his fans all of the time. Even before he got treatments for his cancer (I say this because his treatments did not cause this) he had no respect for anyone with a dissenting opinion than him. More often than not, he would treat his fanbase like children by posting Soundcloud voice uploads to speak his disdain for people who find his guests annoying. More specifically in that instance, he had a transgender on his show who had a shitty mic and sounded annoying as hell, but when someone said something about it he took it as bigotry and transphobia and lashed out on Twitter and Soundcloud at the subreddit.

He's done shit like that countless times and I got tired of it after the election. He basically gave me the "fuck you" since we have differing political opinions, even though I've been watching him for years knowing he's more liberal/progressive/whatever than I find ideal.

In other words, he went full retard SJW and so did Jim for that matter. And yes it made both insuffereable enough that I stopped watching them because I couldn't get the shit taste out of my mouth even when they were objectively talking about useful, unrelated topics.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

In other words, he went full retard SJW and so did Jim for that matter. And yes it made both insuffereable enough that I stopped watching them because I couldn't get the shit taste out of my mouth even when they were objectively talking about useful, unrelated topics.

Also honor mention should go to Jesse Cox than in typical fashion, greatly upstaged Bain himself with his "I am your problem" reaction to the Spencer sucker punch.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Oh, so the both of you don't like them cause they don't share your political views and you don't like their social agenda. I see , this has everything to do with Valve,steam features and the new green light system. I understand.

No, SJWs is not just about their political views: I actually am friends with people who support a lot of the political ideas the progressives support and that I oppose. 

By saying SJW we are actually going a step beyond that: it implies that not only you have progressive ideas but that you actually talk about them constantly, miscontrue and misrepresent people's harmless statements and actions to fit into their personal politics (see the example Kloaked provided about people complaining about a shitty audio issue and intentionally misconstruing that as transphobia) and shutting oneself off to opinions and dissent, attacking anyone who disagrees with your views, even respectfully, with personal attacks ("Sexist!" "Racist!" "Islamophobic!" etc.) 

Relevant to this example: I followed and watched Bain's content for his input on games and podcast about games. He started to make those about identity politics. I followed Serling for the same reasons, he came out and started to talk about sexism in dead or alive, etc. You see the point: While Bain was once firmly proponent of Gamergate he got derailed by the Anti Trumper narrative and it seems like it got to him, big time and now it's basically on the same side most of the gaming industry is but not only that but pushing it to his audience.

Sterling was also silent pretending he was impartial even though he had a professional and personal relation to Quinn and then, he started spilling politics into his content too.

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Oh, so the both of you don't like them cause they don't share your political views and you don't like their social agenda. I see , this has everything to do with Valve,steam features and the new green light system. I understand.

No, it was that he was being a dick about it. I don't care about someone's political opinion being different than mine as much as other people do. While I'm very conservative by definition, I am open to ideas. What I am not open to is someone demonizing me for believing differently than they do and not offer any substance to back up what they say.

Because he acted that way, I don't like the idea of him having more curation control than before whatever that means. He may look like he's for the usual gamer on the surface, but John is an asshole and I would not want him deciding the direction of Steam curation.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

So Valve wants to put their decision making in the hands of 2 bitter, sassy, asshole British critics.

What the fuck is this a reality tv show?

We're quite good at it. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

I don't get your issues at all, at least Valve/Steam is trying something different and asking the people what they think, now if those 2 people got popular made by you, you then only have yourself to blame.

Would you rather prefer if Valve/Steam just does their own thing without asking for any opinions and then you can "hate" Valve all you want.

And if you think about it, your "issues" are just first worlds problems after all.

20 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

What does this have to do with Valve and the consulting ?

You asked, I just replied:

41 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

As I said earlier I honestly cannot separate their work from their politics because they choose not to. So if they make it about it and I disagree, I no longer care about what they do and do assume they'll bring up that to Valve I cannot trust they'll leave that out.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Marcel Kipka said:

I don't get your issues at all, at least Valve/Steam is trying something different and asking the people what they think, now if those 2 people got popular made by you, you then only have yourself to blame.

Would you rather prefer if Valve/Steam just does their own thing without asking for any opinions and then you can "hate" Valve all you want.

And if you think about it, your "issues" are just first worlds problems after all.

Yes I would rather that Valve, for a change, took some fucking initiative and actually did something themselves to improve things because when their approach of "let users police themselves" didn't work they didn't choose to actually hire some fucking people to control things, they just want advice on even more external people on how to solve their hands off attitude towards policing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Yes I would rather that Valve, for a chance, took some fucking initiative and actually did something themselves to improve things because when their approach of "let users police themselves" didn't work they didn't choose to actually hire some fucking people to control things, they just want advice on even more external people on how to solve their hands off attitude towards policing.

It's not like they don't know what the consumers want. They can go on any Steam review or forum thread and find out, granted that they filter out all the memes.

should be interesting... Need to wait for more info. Can't say anything for now.

Although one thing I love about steam is that we don't have Valve people deciding subjectively what is or isn't good enough. Users are able to research for themselves and decide what to buy. So trends happen and Games tend organically rise up or fall down...

Great two people who have no idea about gaming, are asked about gaming.

What could possible go wrong? (Sarcasm)

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

This wasn't a blog. I was offering my point of view on the subject as per the rules of the tech news section. If you don't like it, keep your garbage comments to yourself, kiddo.

lol sometimes people forget that's a requirement for the news section... Well I don't even look on steam for games anymore... If it happens to be a steam game on sale on humblebundle or indigala so be it but I rarely look at steams front page... I think mine is set to show the library by default

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

3 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

lol sometimes people forget that's a requirement for the news section... Well I don't even look on steam for games anymore... If it happens to be a steam game on sale on humblebundle or indigala so be it but I rarely look at steams front page... I think mine is set to show the library by default

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

I like the grid layout personally but every time I change it, Valve puts out an update for Steam and it resets the layout. I am too lazy to keep changing it back.

Just now, Kloaked said:

I like the grid layout personally but every time I change it, Valve puts out an update for Steam and it resets the layout. I am too lazy to keep changing it back.

I feel ya there as long as I don't get the front page I'm good

Just now, XenosTech said:

I feel ya there as long as I don't get the front page I'm good

You mean you don't like seeing overrated rehashed games constantly on the front page? :P

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

You mean you don't like seeing overrated rehashed games constantly on the front page? :P

Yeah lol I mean it did show me one interesting game with is WARMODE

Screenshot_24.thumb.jpg.b089fb3100592428574031c5552ca310.jpg

That's how it looks