Too Many Meds

Dylanc1500
1 hour ago, Urishima said:

The main issue and money burner is bureaucracy, and there is no bigger bureaucracy than government.

Time is money, and in these cases, time is also the difference between life and death.

21 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I take vitamins :D 

What for if you don't mind my asking?

6 minutes ago, AUniqueName said:

What for if you don't mind my asking?

for life

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

for life

throwing-money-gif.gif

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

for life

You take the spongebob vitamins don't you? Lol

jk

22 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

for life

Do you have any specific, doctor noted deficiencies? Because in Canada and the US, Vitamins are not regulated (at least, not beyond basic "it won't kill you" regulations) - meaning that Vitamin D capsule you took may not even contain any traces of Vitamin D at all. Same goes for Multi-vits and pretty much anything sold in a Nutrition store.

Furthermore, even if they did contain the active ingredients, studies have shown there's basically no reason for a normal healthy person to take vitamin supplements.

tl;dr:

For most people, Vitamins are glorified expensive pee.

Hopefully you're taking them at the suggestion of a doctor though, since there are specific scenarios where some supplements are beneficial.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

50 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Do you have any specific, doctor noted deficiencies? Because in Canada and the US, Vitamins are not regulated (at least, not beyond basic "it won't kill you" regulations) - meaning that Vitamin D capsule you took may not even contain any traces of Vitamin D at all. Same goes for Multi-vits and pretty much anything sold in a Nutrition store.

Furthermore, even if they did contain the active ingredients, studies have shown there's basically no reason for a normal healthy person to take vitamin supplements.

tl;dr:

For most people, Vitamins are glorified expensive pee.

Hopefully you're taking them at the suggestion of a doctor though, since there are specific scenarios where some supplements are beneficial.

I know that I get all my vitamins through a pharmacy. However there are some vitamins such as D2 and K3 due to being synthetic require a prescription.

Glorified pee and kidney stones to go with it.

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I know that I get all my vitamins through a pharmacy. However there are some vitamins such as D2 and K3 due to being synthetic require a prescription.

Glorified pee and kidney stones to go with it.

Buying Vitamins from a pharmacy doesn't make them more legit, unless they are prescription drugs. Non-prescription Vitamins that you buy at the Pharmacy are the same ones you buy at WalMart, the grocery store, or a Nutrition store like GNC or Nutrition House.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

-

Thats the Western Medicinal Way, now add to all that the "medicinal" weed movement which is pretty much a joke anyways. Go see a pro weed doctor once and get a script, that is lame.

21 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Buying Vitamins from a pharmacy doesn't make them more legit, unless they are prescription drugs. Non-prescription Vitamins that you buy at the Pharmacy are the same ones you buy at WalMart, the grocery store, or a Nutrition store like GNC or Nutrition House.

What I was getting at is that their are some vitamins that require a prescription.

21 minutes ago, yathis said:

Thats the Western Medicinal Way, now add to all that the "medicinal" weed movement which is pretty much a joke anyways. Go see a pro weed doctor once and get a script, that is lame.

People shouldn't be looking at Medicine as "western vs natural" or "western vs eastern".

There's only one kind of Medicine: Evidence Based Medicine. Anything else is quackery.

There are quite a few "natural" remedies that work. But those remedies are usually distilled down to their active components by pharmaceutical companies. That's the whole point of medicines or pills: Just get the active component - tweak the potency - have a more effective medicine

But basically, as long as evidence supports the effectiveness of a medicine or a "natural" remedy, then it's all good.

But bullshit like Homeopathy needs to die in a giant hole. That shit kills people literally every year through ignorance and neglect.

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

People shouldn't be looking at Medicine as "western vs natural" or "western vs eastern".

There's only one kind of Medicine: Evidence Based Medicine. Anything else is quackery.

There are quite a few "natural" remedies that work. But those remedies are usually distilled down to their active components by pharmaceutical companies. That's the whole point of medicines or pills: Just get the active component - tweak the potency - have a more effective medicine

But basically, as long as evidence supports the effectiveness of a medicine or a "natural" remedy, then it's all good.

But bullshit like Homeopathy needs to die in a giant hole. That shit kills people literally every year through ignorance and neglect.

I would love to see a natural way to correct inherited genetic mutation. I have had people tell me before that I should smoke weed because "it's natural." However any "benefits" would be counteracted by irritation and restriction caused by it. It would kill me before it would help me. Heck I was put on Marinol as a appetite stimulant and it did absolutely nothing.

4 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I would love to see a natural way to correct inherited genetic mutation. I have had people tell me before that I should smoke weed because "it's natural." However any "benefits" would be counteracted by irritation and restriction caused by it. It would kill me before it would help me. Heck I was put on Marinol as a appetite stimulant and it did absolutely nothing.

Well that's a case of people being morons, and not applying "Evidence based Medicine".

Marijuana definitely has medical applications. But they are specific applications.

People that think marijuana is some cure-all are just as stupid as the same people that believed in "tonic water" or "arsenic" to cure diseases.

There may well be a natural way to correct a genetic mutation. Or maybe not. Only evidence will tell us one way or the other.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Well that's a case of people being morons, and not applying "Evidence based Medicine".

Marijuana definitely has medical applications. But they are specific applications.

People that think marijuana is some cure-all are just as stupid as the same people that believed in "tonic water" or "arsenic" to cure diseases.

There may well be a natural way to correct a genetic mutation. Or maybe not. Only evidence will tell us one way or the other.

Isn't it just THC within marijuana that has any medicinal uses? As far as I'm aware it is the only chemical from it that has any use. Which has now been synthesized, so I would think that it makes marijuana kind of pointless.

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Isn't it just THC within marijuana that has any medicinal uses? As far as I'm aware it is the only chemical from it that has any use. Which has now been synthesized, so I would think that it makes marijuana kind of pointless.

Incorrect. Marijuana has two important "ingredients":

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - this is what gets you high a.f. - higher percentage = bigger high

Cannabinoid (CBD) - this component is what most medicinal strains are cultivated for. It has the stress relieving (and to some extend pain releiving) effects, among other things.

Eg: People that suffer from seizures, take high CBD marijuana.

They even grow strains with a high CBD, and low THC - so low that you don't even get stoned from it.

And yes, it can be synthesized, but there's very little research being done in general, so we cannot say how effective the synthesized version is compared to the natural version. Furthermore, the way you consume the marijuana has an impact on the experience - eating edibles or swallowing a pill vs inhaling, etc.

8 hours ago, Urishima said:

The main issue and money burner is bureaucracy, and there is no bigger bureaucracy than government.

Bureaucracy costs tend to be higher in private systems

I was also born with Cystic Fibrosis and take the following (I'm 17);

Intraconazole (twice a day, morning and night).

Vitamin A tablet (once a day, morning) .

Azithromycin tablet and 3x Prednisolone tablets (alternate days).

Dornase (morning) and Colomycin (night). 

Blue & Purple inhalers (twice a day, sorry for not knowing the exact names, haha).

I also do physio myself with something named an "Accapella" twice a day. 

EDIT: Forgot to add Monetlukast tablet to the list, I take this before bed.

1 hour ago, Celios said:

I was also born with Cystic Fibrosis and take the following (I'm 17);

Intraconazole (twice a day, morning and night).

Vitamin A tablet (once a day, morning) .

Azithromycin tablet and 3x Prednisolone tablets (alternate days).

Dornase (morning) and Colomycin (night). 

Blue & Purple inhalers (twice a day, sorry for not knowing the exact names, haha).

I also do physio myself with something named an "Accapella" twice a day. 

EDIT: Forgot to add Monetlukast tablet to the list, I take this before bed.

Nice to meet someone else that has it. Not to mention on LTT. Are you doing well health wise, if you don't mind me asking?

For me: 

A is the same

Azithromycin Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Dnase/pulmozyme twice a day

I have used Coli while in hospital but I typically use Tobramycin twice a day.

Is it albuterol and advair?

I have like 4 or 5 of those accapellas. Green pickle shaped device? Have they looked at getting you a Vest machine yet?

sorry for asking so many questions lol. I just haven't gotten to really talk to anyone else with CF.

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Nice to meet someone else that has it. Not to mention on LTT. Are you doing well health wise, if you don't mind me asking?

For me: 

A is the same

Azithromycin Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Dnase/pulmozyme twice a day

I have used Coli while in hospital but I typically use Tobramycin twice a day.

Is it albuterol and advair?

I have like 4 or 5 of those accapellas. Green pickle shaped device? Have they looked at getting you a Vest machine yet?

sorry for asking so many questions lol. I just haven't gotten to really talk to anyone else with CF.

My health is doing good at the moment. I have recently had to move to a different hospital than the one I have grown up with and born in, due to me becoming an adult (18 in July). Problem is, I have to travel a pretty long distance (2+ hours) to get to this "adult" hospital, whereas I would only have to travel for 30 minutes to get the original one. They said it's because they don't have the funding to train nurses to deal with adults at the original hospital, so they only have nurses that are qualified to deal with "children" who have Cystic Fibrosis (even though it's basically the same thing).

In my original hospital I used to have to stay in 2 times a year for 2 weeks at a time for IVs, even if I wasn't ill. My doctor thought it was a good way of keeping me well and making sure I didn't get any seasonal coughs or colds. In the new hospital however, my doctor thinks this practice is a waste of money and takes up too much time that could be spent doing other productive things in my life, he thinks I should only go in when needed. So, not much I can say about that.

The names of my inhaler are Seretide (purple) and Salbutamol (blue).

And yeah, those are the Accapellas, they break really easily so I keep a stash of them too, haha. And no, I have not been offered the vest, I think that's more of a US thing, I haven't seen many people with those in the UK yet, same goes for that new tablet that apparently helps with a lot of things. NHS funding is a bit "meh" at the moment.

How are you doing? And do you mind if I ask how old you are?

3 hours ago, Celios said:

My health is doing good at the moment. I have recently had to move to a different hospital than the one I have grown up with and born in, due to me becoming an adult (18 in July). Problem is, I have to travel a pretty long distance (2+ hours) to get to this "adult" hospital, whereas I would only have to travel for 30 minutes to get the original one. They said it's because they don't have the funding to train nurses to deal with adults at the original hospital, so they only have nurses that are qualified to deal with "children" who have Cystic Fibrosis (even though it's basically the same thing).

In my original hospital I used to have to stay in 2 times a year for 2 weeks at a time for IVs, even if I wasn't ill. My doctor thought it was a good way of keeping me well and making sure I didn't get any seasonal coughs or colds. In the new hospital however, my doctor thinks this practice is a waste of money and takes up too much time that could be spent doing other productive things in my life, he thinks I should only go in when needed. So, not much I can say about that.

The names of my inhaler are Seretide (purple) and Salbutamol (blue).

And yeah, those are the Accapellas, they break really easily so I keep a stash of them too, haha. And no, I have not been offered the vest, I think that's more of a US thing, I haven't seen many people with those in the UK yet, same goes for that new tablet that apparently helps with a lot of things. NHS funding is a bit "meh" at the moment.

How are you doing? And do you mind if I ask how old you are?

Good to hear. Ya I went to Childrens Mercy in Kansas City till I turned 21, at that point the executives felt as that was max age that was appropriate. Their reasoning being that they were afraid of "possible relations with nursing staff and residents" do to extended stays." However, the entire CF team there thought it was BS. I understand the traveling issues, Kansas City had the closest CF center and it is 3 Hours away. How large of a Hospital was it?

Ya after I turned 21 I had to transfer to KU Med. It seems to be common place once you become an "adult" the necessity of things suddenly becomes a waste. At Childrens I would go in after I would drop more than 10% below baseline, or at least once a year for two weeks. I have to fight with KU to even admit me unless I go in through the E.R.

Oh, I can honestly say I have yet to hear of those. I'll have to do some research.

I have gone through more than I should lol, I still have the first one I got back in 08 and the plastic has started turning colors, probably wouldn't want to keep them that long haha. Man that really sucks, have you asked about it? Between the vest and IPV machine I have I notice a huge difference before and after treatments. Do you know what the name of the tablet is?

Well I'm in a good place right now in life. Lung function... honestly my FEV1 is at 1.8L or 35% predicted. Positive side is I still take in more air than a Honda! I just turned 23 on the 28th this month.

Edit: Seretide is the same thing as Advair just different names for different markets same exact company makes both. Salbutamol is albuterol and is sold in the U.S. as Ventolin. That's pretty cool, learn something new every day.

16 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Im terribly sorry to hear that. I'm glad to hear that you are well enough to ween of the opioids. Have they mentioned disc replacement at all?

Honestly I think staying busy doing things you love and working full time getting to travel has helped a lot. Keeps you from starting to overthink things. Plus I have learned that you can't worry about things that are out of your control. It is greatly appreciated though, so thank you.

Luckily its not so bad as that disc replacement is anything I would consider heavily. 

Good advice to live by, I'll have to think on that.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

Luckily its not so bad as that disc replacement is anything I would consider heavily. 

Good advice to live by, I'll have to think on that.

Well, that's good to hear. I know there are always risks involved so the less need for going into surgery the better.

My Great-Grandmother is the one who taught me that, so I would say I have her to thank for that.

7 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Good to hear. Ya I went to Childrens Mercy in Kansas City till I turned 21, at that point the executives felt as that was max age that was appropriate. Their reasoning being that they were afraid of "possible relations with nursing staff and residents" do to extended stays." However, the entire CF team there thought it was BS. I understand the traveling issues, Kansas City had the closest CF center and it is 3 Hours away. How large of a Hospital was it?

Ya after I turned 21 I had to transfer to KU Med. It seems to be common place once you become an "adult" the necessity of things suddenly becomes a waste. At Childrens I would go in after I would drop more than 10% below baseline, or at least once a year for two weeks. I have to fight with KU to even admit me unless I go in through the E.R.

Oh, I can honestly say I have yet to hear of those. I'll have to do some research.

I have gone through more than I should lol, I still have the first one I got back in 08 and the plastic has started turning colors, probably wouldn't want to keep them that long haha. Man that really sucks, have you asked about it? Between the vest and IPV machine I have I notice a huge difference before and after treatments. Do you know what the name of the tablet is?

Well I'm in a good place right now in life. Lung function... honestly my FEV1 is at 1.8L or 35% predicted. Positive side is I still take in more air than a Honda! I just turned 23 on the 28th this month.

Edit: Seretide is the same thing as Advair just different names for different markets same exact company makes both. Salbutamol is albuterol and is sold in the U.S. as Ventolin. That's pretty cool, learn something new every day.

Glad to hear you're doing okay!

My old hospital was very tiny, only had 2 floors. The ward itself didn't even feel like a hospital to me, I kinda liked going there every once in a while for a stay, it was like a little vacataion, haha. They had WiFi and there was also a Blockbuster 5 minutes down the road so I would rent DVDs (that Blockbuster shutdown 2 years ago though, rest in peace) and never get too bored.

It is also a pain if I want to get admitted for IVs to this new hospital, in fact, it's a pain to even get hold of them. I was trying to contact the CF nurse about something rather important the other day and it took 6 hours (no exaggeration) of being hung up on and people telling me I would get a call back shortly. I never got a call back "shortly" I got a call back 2 days later, ridiculous. 

And yeah, the Accapellas are a pain, the little metal circle thing inside starts to go rusty after you clean it a few times to as well.

Undortunately not, they haven't offered the vest to me so I've never thought to ask, I will try ask at my next appointment. 

The doxtors and nurses always nag me to do more exercise but I hate sports and things like that.  It's been like this since I was a kid. I know they are trying to help, I guess I need to push myself to become fitter. My lung function is around 52% right now.

The tablet is called "Orkambi" and apparently can do a lot of good but they aren't really giving to anybody due to funding issues. I've always thought why would they make these kind of treatments if they won't bother to help anyone? I guess they just sell them for a lot of money to richer families who can afford t. Not sure if this is an issue only in the UK, do you take it?

On 30.3.2017 at 8:02 PM, Dylanc1500 said:

What meds do you all have to take, if at all?

I throw my prescription note usually in the garbage as long as it not urgent. I don't need medicine cause my body will cure itself. I only take it if it is really urgent but i don't have any problems currently.

22 hours ago, Mug said:

Whilst cancer care isn't an issue in the NHS (we have some of the best cancer care in the world)

I just watched a BBC documentary about the huge problems the NHS is facing because of the problem with diabetes. It might collapse according to the BBC if changes are not made soon to stop the diabetes epidemic.