How can I turn a server on over LAN and then start remote managing the server over LAN again (not needing to actually touch the server)

I have a HP Proliant DL580 G5, which I want to be able to turn on over LAN and then control the server again without touching the server, as it currently is in the loft. I also need it to run windows server due to some of the programmes running off it only supporting windows server, so how would I do this, the server has iLO2 (integrated lights-out 2) what ever that is if it helps. so how would I do this, thanks 

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Yea, the server has Integrated Lights-Out 2 which is for managing the server remotely. You can power it on and off there as well. I believe you can get console redirection in that as well so you do not need to connect a display. You could also use Wake-On-LAN, if you enable that feature in the BIOS.

As for managing the operating system - for Windows use RDP or PowerShell, for Linux use SSH.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Just now, jj9987 said:

Yea, the server has Integrated Lights-Out 2 which is for managing the server remotely. You can power it on and off there as well. I believe you can get console redirection in that as well so you do not need to connect a display.

As for managing the operating system - for Windows use RDP or PowerShell, for Linux use SSH.

and how would I set all of that up???

And more, several more

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

Usually the server has a dedicated RJ45 port, that connects to the existing network. You need another PC that is also connected to that same network and then just browse to the management port's IP with an internet browser. 

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Just now, jj9987 said:

Usually the server has a dedicated RJ45 port, that connects to the existing network. You need another PC that is also connected to that same network and then just browse to the management port's IP with an internet browser. 

aye alright yep, I will start setting that up now then, I think.

And more, several more

17 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

If you want to do it automatically, you would probably have to do some scripting. Else you just have to go to the iLO2 web panel (so look up the IP in your router or something similar), login (the login should be on a sticker somewhere on the server) and then somewhere in the webpanel there is the option to boot the server.

Just now, CptCarbonat said:

If you want to do it automatically, you would probably have to do some scripting. Else you just have to go to the iLO2 web panel (so look up the IP in your router or something similar), login (the login should be on a sticker somewhere on the server) and then somewhere in the webpanel there is the option to boot the server.

ok thanks, so that turns the server on, so that's half the battle what do I use for actually controlling it?

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

what do I use for actually controlling it?

Well there are several options for doing that. Like said before, you can use RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) on Windows and if you use Linux you can use VNC. Using RDP or VNC will give you full access to the GUI of the server. If you don't need access to the GUI you can also use powershell for remote access on windows and SSH on Linux.

On the rear of your server, do you multiple NICs with one having a wrench or the iLO acronym?

During bootup I imagine you will be prompted to press a key to enter into the iLO configuration. Ideally you will want to set it for DHCP just to make sure it's working.

I've only ever dealt with iDRAC and IPMI, does iLO require licensing? 

Besides IPMI/iLo you can just use wake on lan (WOL). Boot into bios and just navigate around until you see an option to wake the computer up with a magic packet. Then install windows and edit that same NIC and make sure within the driver properties that WOL is enabled. At this point you can either send a WOL from your router, or download some software for your desktop to send a WOL packet.

According to google, this setting is found in your bios under "server availability"

42 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

On the rear of your server, do you multiple NICs with one having a wrench or the iLO acronym?

During bootup I imagine you will be prompted to press a key to enter into the iLO configuration. Ideally you will want to set it for DHCP just to make sure it's working.

I've only ever dealt with iDRAC and IPMI, does iLO require licensing? 

Besides IPMI/iLo you can just use wake on lan (WOL). Boot into bios and just navigate around until you see an option to wake the computer up with a magic packet. Then install windows and edit that same NIC and make sure within the driver properties that WOL is enabled. At this point you can either send a WOL from your router, or download some software for your desktop to send a WOL packet.

According to google, this setting is found in your bios under "server availability"

having some power issues, as I keep on having small power cuts (which lasts 5s max), so I can't do anything with it at the moment with it, thanks. just googled iLO yea it does, dunno the cost, but it's server crap so a lot probably, so yea, I will need to play about with WOL probably till I get it to work.

And more, several more

2 hours ago, grimreeper132 said:

having some power issues, as I keep on having small power cuts (which lasts 5s max), so I can't do anything with it at the moment with it, thanks. just googled iLO yea it does, dunno the cost, but it's server crap so a lot probably, so yea, I will need to play about with WOL probably till I get it to work.

if the power is going out like that, id probably get a ups, it would solve those problems.

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

if the power is going out like that, id probably get a ups, it would solve those problems.

it's normally a very rare occasion, e.g. once every year or two, but there was just several last night, also UPS's are expensive.

And more, several more

On 27/03/2017 at 4:12 PM, CptCarbonat said:

Well there are several options for doing that. Like said before, you can use RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) on Windows and if you use Linux you can use VNC. Using RDP or VNC will give you full access to the GUI of the server. If you don't need access to the GUI you can also use powershell for remote access on windows and SSH on Linux.

how do I set up RDP (I'm new to the whole server crap, which I am setting up, in my loft.) (this is a me trying to do this as I type so please respond, but don't be surprised that if you do I have using my immense knowledge of uuuuummmm ...... fuck it, after googling a lot of shit that I have already done it)

And more, several more

On 28.3.2017 at 6:20 PM, grimreeper132 said:

how do I set up RDP (I'm new to the whole server crap, which I am setting up, in my loft.) (this is a me trying to do this as I type so please respond, but don't be surprised that if you do I have using my immense knowledge of uuuuummmm ...... fuck it, after googling a lot of shit that I have already done it)

Depending what operating system you are on it might be a bit different, but this video explains how to enable it in windows 10:

You might also need to port fowared the according port to the server in your router, so you can access it from outside your home network. 

2 hours ago, CptCarbonat said:

Depending what operating system you are on it might be a bit different, but this video explains how to enable it in windows 10:

You might also need to port fowared the according port to the server in your router, so you can access it from outside your home network. 

Thanks. I worked out what I was meant to be doing, but that video helped me work out the simple thing I was doing wrong, I was using the wrong, using the wrong username (long story) so thanks

And more, several more

long stick ? 

nah seriously though, WOL, iPMI and RDP

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, DnFx91 said:

long stick ? 

nah seriously though, WOL, iPMI and RDP

I just need to work out how to use WOL (got RDP working now) any hints, it is my first time :P

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

I just need to work out how to use WOL (got RDP working now) any hints, it is my first time :P

its always flaky for me, you need to go into your BIOS and enable it, usually under PCI config. Then go into adapter properties in windows and enable "wake on magic packet" as windows calls it, and then make sure you know the MAC address of the ethernet port you are using. Then use a WOL packet sender to chuck a magic packet to that mac address. As far as i know, WOL simply sends a devce's own MAC to that device 3 times in a row, triggering a power on over PCIe

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, DnFx91 said:

its always flaky for me, you need to go into your BIOS and enable it, usually under PCI config. Then go into adapter properties in windows and enable "wake on magic packet" as windows calls it, and then make sure you know the MAC address of the ethernet port you are using. Then use a WOL packet sender to chuck a magic packet to that mac address. As far as i know, WOL simply sends a devce's own MAC to that device 3 times in a row, triggering a power on over PCIe

ah ok, right that doesn't sound to hard, what packet sender should I use???

And more, several more

ah ok, right that doesn't sound to hard, what packet sender should I use???

any, i had one on my phone (android) that worked perfectly. Never looked into a PC program for it, seems pointless actually, thinking about it.

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

any, i had one on my phone (android) that worked perfectly. Never looked into a PC program for it, seems pointless actually, thinking about it.

in fact i had that phone rooted, so i set up an automation using macrodroid, so that whenever my phone hooked up to my wifi, as in, when i got home, it would connect, and then send a WOL packet over my LAN to my gaming rig, so it was on and ready to go by the time i got upstairs :D

sick

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

aye well I will be turning it on from a laptop or desktop (I am using the server as a render server for Autodesk Inventor plus other things, so am operating it off of a PC so probably helpful to turn it on from there

And more, several more

aye well I will be turning it on from a laptop or desktop (I am using the server as a render server for Autodesk Inventor plus other things, so am operating it off of a PC so probably helpful to turn it on from there

there must be a PC WOL packet sender.

this is shit terminology does anyone know what a WOL packet sending program is called ??

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

in fact i had that phone rooted, so i set up an automation using macrodroid, so that whenever my phone hooked up to my wifi, as in, when i got home, it would connect, and then send a WOL packet over my LAN to my gaming rig, so it was on and ready to go by the time i got upstairs :D

sick

that is pretty cool actually, temped to do that, but same time no that's effort :P

And more, several more

1 minute ago, DnFx91 said:

there must be a PC WOL packet sender.

this is shit terminology does anyone know what a WOL packet sending program is called ??

I can't see what it is but I think it is that, cause why not, found a couple of possibilities for the programme though 

And more, several more