AMD Ryzen Overclocking Explored

LinusTech

AMD Ryzen 7 overclocking discussion and guidelines. Get the most performance out of your CPU!

Buy Ryzen 7 gear on Amazon: 
Ryzen 7 1700X: http://geni.us/Wkzu
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero: http://geni.us/we81O

Buy Ryzen 7 gear on Newegg:
Ryzen 7 1700X: http://geni.us/Sncoib
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero: http://geni.us/MkSgRKC

First :)

BTW, are you going to be reviewing the Masterkeys Pro lineup? @LinusTech

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

FIRST!

@kelvinhall05 U stole it lmao

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

FIST!

hand-with-fist.jpg

Too bad this was filmed before the BIOS update that is going around at the moment on the ASUS board.

Jay was able to run RAM at 3200MHz after new BIOS update instead of the max 2933MHz he and many other reviewers hit before.

awesome video as always 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

24 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

awesome video as always 

yes

ugh almost a deal breaker for me... wish 6900k would come down a bit more so i can swap my xeon out

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Good that you did this video. However, I think a few things deserve to be reconsidered:

- Taking AMD's claim about OC potential at face value. I guess testing the 1700 as well would increase the time you spend in making this video substantially, but so far the available evidence doesn't support the claim of reduced OC potential. Hence, there could be even higher value at hand by going with the 1700.

- The elephant in the room: the Asus board. All available reviews so far have more problems with eh Crosshair VI than with other boards. In this video, it's always assumed that OC stability or fast RAM compatibility is limited by the platform itself, but reviewers have been hitting 3200MHz with other boards practically from day 1.

Honestly, until Asus sort its BIOS out, these results should be taken as a lower bound. It's not too bad either, since they at least got 4.0 which is not far from the upper bound so far, and it's mostly RAM OC that is left on the table.

Don't get me wrong, i know that there is a lot of effort involved with this kind of video and that earned a "like" from me.

But judging by the Date in Windows 10, this Video is horribly outdated. The Bios Updates are coming in by the day, updates for games have been released in the last week - the situation is totally different. A lot of people reported that 1,48 VCore is okay, especially considering the 20°C offset, the last few days reports of 3200 MHz Memory came raining in, even some 3400 MHz results...and so on. A lot of the recent reports actually report performance pretty much on par with the i7-7700K.

Dota 2 actually has had some 20-30% improvement with the patch, that came out 4 days ago (and since it is Source 2 based, the same as CS:Go, this would potentially put Ryzen even ahead of the i7 in this particular game engine)

I do hope, you will bench Ryzen frequently. And even if Scrapyard Wars is going to be huge and very time consuming, i hope you'll find the time to do that properly...and make an exception for ryzen videos and put them out as fast as possible.

But as i said, nice video, regardless of my critique ;)

Edit: Almost forgot, most of the Benches that have considerably different values, have been done on the MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium

Good news everyone...!

Did anyone notice how in one of the test the normal stock setting 1700x beat the OC 1700x ?

it looks like the 1700x is just an underclocked 1800x.

not the first time i see the same preference when u set them both to the same clock speed.

as for the Ram OC i think Jay2c did a similar OC on one of his videos and got his ram to 3.2ghz or was it 2.9ghz

@LinusTech I have been running my 1700x with Corsair LED DDR4 @ 2933 with no issues and made very little change.  I have yet to overclock my 1700x or my GTX1070.  I was wanting to make sure everything was stable.  Screenshots of my bios settings and build pics are on my public facebook page, check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/worxbydre/

System specs:

Define R5 Case

AMD Ryzen 1700x
Corsair Vengeance LED @ 2933mhz
Asus Prime x370 - Pro on 0511 bios
PNY XLR8 8GB GTX1070
Samsung EVO 500gb SSD
Corsair RM750x PSU
Corsair white LED SP120s
EKWB everything... Cpu block, gpu full cover block, 240 and 120 rads, fittings, white fluid, and pump/res combo.
Primochill 5/8 OD 3/8 ID Clear tubing

System video - 

My public facebook workpage with screen shots, build pics, other projects, and car stuffs- 

www.facebook.com/worxbydre

R7 5800x -:- Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming -:- EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX3080 -:- EVGA 850 GA -:- 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo  -:- Asus TUF GT501

21 hours ago, WereCat said:

FIST!

hand-with-fist.jpg

Too bad this was filmed before the BIOS update that is going around at the moment on the ASUS board.

Jay was able to run RAM at 3200MHz after new BIOS update instead of the max 2933MHz he and many other reviewers hit before.

When I say anger, you say...

Yes very sad, a sad puppy day.

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:16 AM, David89 said:

Don't get me wrong, i know that there is a lot of effort involved with this kind of video and that earned a "like" from me.

But judging by the Date in Windows 10, this Video is horribly outdated. The Bios Updates are coming in by the day, updates for games have been released in the last week - the situation is totally different. A lot of people reported that 1,48 VCore is okay, especially considering the 20°C offset, the last few days reports of 3200 MHz Memory came raining in, even some 3400 MHz results...and so on. A lot of the recent reports actually report performance pretty much on par with the i7-7700K.

Dota 2 actually has had some 20-30% improvement with the patch, that came out 4 days ago (and since it is Source 2 based, the same as CS:Go, this would potentially put Ryzen even ahead of the i7 in this particular game engine)

I do hope, you will bench Ryzen frequently. And even if Scrapyard Wars is going to be huge and very time consuming, i hope you'll find the time to do that properly...and make an exception for ryzen videos and put them out as fast as possible.

But as i said, nice video, regardless of my critique ;)

Edit: Almost forgot, most of the Benches that have considerably different values, have been done on the MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium

Not sure why everyone is saying great guide. As you have spotted and probably as all other C6H owners know this video is horribly outdated because of the rate of BIOS improvements coming out. We are now on 1002 and it is much better than 0902 (3 updates ago). I think Linus dropped the ball here, I know its work but Linus could have prioritised a new platform launch better and got this out faster. Or and this is probably the better option, they could have been doing this now and released the video early April after motherboard BIOS' had had more time to mature. I watched this video hoping to learn something new from a pro like Linus only to realise it was old news and my system was already running better than his :/ If your video is outdated on the day you upload it then in future surely you should probably kill the video and redo it.

On top of that it wasn't very in depth either, I was hoping he was going to go in to custom p states on the C6H as that is 1 thing I haven't got sorted yet.

Custom P-States would not have been available in such an early Bios - AFAIK. (still waiting for R5 to buy in to Ryzen...)

Good news everyone...!

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

No they are there on my crosshair I just haven't gotten them to behave yet xD

Yeah, but considering the date the video was filmed, i remember others saying that it wasn't there in early versions of the bios...could be wrong though :/

Good news everyone...!

Just now, David89 said:

Yeah, but considering the date the video was filmed, i remember others saying that it wasn't there in early versions of the bios...could be wrong though :/

I've been on 0902 too it was there I just didn't try it until I was happy with my basic overclock

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, i have almost the exact setup in the video and im new to overclocking. Im having trouble seeing all the setting Linus uses. Would there be good screenshots or setting list i could use im my bios? I would really like to be able to run my rams at better pottential. It would help me alot, thanks!

Setup:

Ryzen 1700x

Asus croshair hero VI

16gb DDR4 TridentZ RGB 3200Mz

EVGA GTX1070 SC 

Corsair RM850x psu

Crutial SSD 500gb

Samsung SSD evo 860 500gb

Seagate firecuda 2tb sshd hybrid drive

Fractal design Define R6

Custom EKWB CPU & GPU ridgid tubing water loop.

Screenshot_20200115-030754_Gallery.jpg