Replace wifi card

iKatoz
Go to solution Solved by iKatoz,

The new card arrived today and it seems to work well, I confirm that Acer has not implemented WiFi whitelist and if there will be problems in the coming weeks I will update this post.

For now, thank you all

I have an Acer VN7-592G-7303 notebook with a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A wireless network adapter. I have constant problems with it (for example, this) and I want to replace it with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 or any other Intel card. 

Is the Intel card an adequate replacement? There may be compatibility issues?

Since I can not find any information on the Qualcom card I hope someone can help me.

Thanks.

Sorry if my english isn't perfect

Gaming PC

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @3.50GHz Cooling: Corsair H80i Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO RAM: Corsair 16GB @1600MHz PSU: Corsair AX760 SSD:Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD:Western Digital Black 1TB Headset: Logitech G930 Wheel Logitech G27

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5 @2.70GHz Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB RAM: 8GB @1067MHz SSD: Samsung 845 EVO HDD:Western Digital Red 2TB  

It 'should' work, but there's no guarantees. I tried this on my old laptop, but couldn't get it to work unfortunately. I think because I wanted to go from a simple 2.4Ghz one to dual band with Bluetooth...

At least make sure the replacement is the same size, and has the same number of antennas, that Intel one looks taller, I think your Atheros card is half size?

Does you mum know you're here?

Judging from this guide seems that the cards are equal,  but looking on google seems that the Qualcomm card is half size. I think the only way is to open the laptop but the biggest problem is that I can not find any information on the card, I can not even find the laptop on the Acer website.

Gaming PC

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K @3.50GHz Cooling: Corsair H80i Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO RAM: Corsair 16GB @1600MHz PSU: Corsair AX760 SSD:Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD:Western Digital Black 1TB Headset: Logitech G930 Wheel Logitech G27

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5 @2.70GHz Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB RAM: 8GB @1067MHz SSD: Samsung 845 EVO HDD:Western Digital Red 2TB  

Laptop manufactures some times white list cards in their BIOS, only the cards on the White List will work. If you use one not on the list, your computer might not boot. I know Lenovo does this, Im not sure about Acer. Youll need to check in to that before you proceed. Or check to see if they have a supported card list. HP had a list for my sisters computer. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It seems that Acer has never implemented wifi whitelist but I'm not sure because there are no reliable sources.

I opened the laptop and the card is 2.5 / 3 cm long so it seems that it is not half size

Foto 17-03-17, 20 00 12.jpg

Gaming PC

Spoiler

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

The new card arrived today and it seems to work well, I confirm that Acer has not implemented WiFi whitelist and if there will be problems in the coming weeks I will update this post.

For now, thank you all

Gaming PC

Spoiler

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same wifi issue, may I know compatibility issue after replacement?

It works great and I haven't had any problems with the new card

Gaming PC

Spoiler

iMac Mid 2011

Spoiler