So Long Dear Console. We Knew You Well.

Punished07

This article originally came from the December 2013 issue of Popular Science magazine. It states things that Linus has been saying for a long time now. Even to the point of the Nvidia Shield as ,essentially, a console replacement.

http://www.popsci.com/bown/2013/depth/so-long-dear-console-we-knew-you-well

Forty-one years ago, Magnavox introduced the first cartridge-based console, the Odyssey. Seven generations later, the boxes have become fixtures in our entertainment centers. What’s not to love? Consoles represent the pinnacle of electronic engineering (the PlayStation 4’s graphics processor, for example, can perform 1.8 trillion operations per second). Yet despite that, it’s been a rough couple of years for console gaming. Sales and rentals  of disc-based games, like the ones that are core to the Xbox and PlayStation ecosystems, dropped by 21 percent last year. The console won’t be far behind.

The issue isn’t that gamers have suddenly stopped playing; they’re just getting their games in different ways. Virtual shops, such as Steam, have made it easy to download titles without relying on brick-and-mortar stores. (Digital downloads spiked 16 percent in 2012.) And cloud services such as OnLive stream games directly over the Internet. As a result, developers no longer need to choose between the Sony and Microsoft ecosystems or spend time coding titles for both platforms. Games can now be console agnostic. 

Beyond that, what passes for a console is also changing. The Razer Edge Pro, a Windows 8 tablet, can download and render console-quality titles, such as Dishonored and The Elder Scrolls V: SkyrimThe Nvidia Shield, an Android-based handheld, can stream PC games. Both devices have powerful enough graphics engines—the Shield’s chipset can handle nearly a trillion operations per second—to drive an image on an HDTV over HDMI and do so with little sacrifice in quality. 

In this democratized gaming world, where consumers have more places to get games and more ways to play them, consoles can’t compete. Right now, a couple of people in a basement can release a game instantly in the Google Play store and make a solid profit charging a few bucks per download. And it won’t stop at small start-up vendors. If tablets can play blockbuster games, big-name developers can cut themselves off from Sony and Microsoft too. Consoles are going the way of CD players—and for better or worse, the eighth generation will likely be our last. —Colin Lecher

CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: MSI 970A-G46 RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 GPU: EVGA 560ti SLI Case: Corsair 300R Cooler: Corsair H60 - push pull CM Excaliber SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB HDD: 1TB Hitachi, 4TB Seagate PSU: Corsair TX650V2

I don't know about you, but it's currently November 2013, Time Traveler :P

I get the hard copy of the magazine in the mail so it comes out early i guess.

CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: MSI 970A-G46 RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 GPU: EVGA 560ti SLI Case: Corsair 300R Cooler: Corsair H60 - push pull CM Excaliber SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB HDD: 1TB Hitachi, 4TB Seagate PSU: Corsair TX650V2

I get the hard copy of the magazine in the mail so it comes out early i guess.

Well that's weird.

OT: It's great that more and more people are seeing what we've(Linus and others) have been saying for a while now. Really makes me wonder where we will be in a couple years with the Steam Machines released.

we really need an "open" alternative like gamestream

i know Steam has one but it only works with their games

lets hope for one

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I <3 consoles

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Consoles won't be going anywhere unless the Steam Box comes out and shakes things up like I'm hoping it will. Shield is cool and all but the point remains that you need a gaming PC with an Nvidia card in it. The average CoD player has no idea wtf Nvidia Shield is (or for starters, who Nvidia is and what they make) and I'd doubt they'd want it if they knew what it was.

Everyone is lining up to get their PS4 and XB1 not this. 

Like I said, Shield is cool but it was designed to fill a niche market that Linus and a few here happen to be a part of. It doesn't help that this is Nvidia's proprietary technology too and they're not sharing it with AMD. 

EDIT: And cloud gaming isn't going to be gaining traction until fiber is mainstream and affordable for the average Joe. I doubt that will be happening here in America considering how money hungry these companies are.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

If the current generation of consoles does last a decade+ then this will very likely be the last generation of consoles. Although, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Nintendo release a new console in 5 or 6 years and then go the way of Sega.

This is the first generation of new consoles I am not excited about.  It just feels so different than past launches I went through since day / week one - PSX, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, GC, PS3, Xbox 360... I was excited for those. 

The lack of excitement pretty much boils down to this for me: I see these new consoles working exactly like my gaming rig in terms of patches, day one updates, DLC this, DLC that... same games I can get on Steam for cheaper and run at better rez / consistent frames per second.  I mean, what's the point anymore aside from exclusives (which would make me consider PS4 in the future with new God of War or Uncharted game) and if doesn't work right out of the box (console and games) like they used to?  Even Nintendo whom I always see as that last bastion of old school gaming followed this route with their Wii / Wii U.

I'm glad I jumped into PC gaming fully this year.  I was an avid console gamer - played games on PC here and there - but the shenanigans that went on with these consoles (hardware failures, nickle and diming with DLC / cut content, terrible frame rates and resolutions, ADDITIONAL fee to play online??? etc.) starting with last gen pushed me forward to PC gaming.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Consoles will evolve and change just like every other piece of technology on this planet, they will not become obsolete, just different.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Pretty soon, getting something like an ps4 and XboxOne will be like back in the day getting a gameboy advance, something parents just got their kids to keep them entertained while core gamer's spent more money on hardware to play core games with the best advancements in gaming and computer tech in the available market.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

Consoles will evolve and change just like every other piece of technology on this planet, they will not become obsolete, just different.

Even if they do shift to the mobile market, both Microsoft and Sony have offerings there already. So if that does happen, I could see the current console divisions working on more gamer friendly mobile devices/software.

I don't know about Nintendo, they have the handheld's, but what's the point of the DS with today's cellphones? But they always seem to survive  :lol:

It depends on how you define the world console. Steambox is a console, with the option to have it not be a "console" by using different versions or itterations of SteamOS and the ability to customize it.

If you look at a console as a machine, with a different overlay/system, & games that need to be programmed specifically for it, then yes those most likely will be obsolete.

Microsoft and Sony are far from being done with handling the gaming market in terms of living room technology.

Yes, cloud storage will take over, & very soon, all you will need will be a box, that has what the steambox is.

Game streaming, as said above, will probably take over within 6-7 years every where but America.

I'm kind of wondering why one ISP doesn't just shaft all the others, by providing such insane speeds, at low prices, that everyone uses it.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first generation of new consoles I am not excited about.  It just feels so different than past launches I went through since day / week one - PSX, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, GC, PS3, Xbox 360... I was excited for those. 

The lack of excitement pretty much boils down to this for me: I see these new consoles working exactly like my gaming rig in terms of patches, day one updates, DLC this, DLC that... same games I can get on Steam for cheaper and run at better rez / consistent frames per second.  I mean, what's the point anymore aside from exclusives (which would make me consider PS4 in the future with new God of War or Uncharted game) and if doesn't work right out of the box (console and games) like they used to?  Even Nintendo whom I always see as that last bastion of old school gaming followed this route with their Wii / Wii U.

I'm glad I jumped into PC gaming fully this year.  I was an avid console gamer - played games on PC here and there - but the shenanigans that went on with these consoles (hardware failures, nickle and diming with DLC / cut content, terrible frame rates and resolutions, ADDITIONAL fee to play online??? etc.) starting with last gen pushed me forward to PC gaming.

I share a lot of your sentiments. Those are all really valid points. The only reason I still have consoles is because of exclusives. Otherwise I'd be PC only. I could care less about playing games online with my friends anymore. They all never have time so it doesn't matter. The main reason I'm jazzed for this launch is that this will not only be my first midnight launch, but my first console launch I've ever attended. That alone is enough excitement. It seems like gaming is going through a wonderful renaissance right now too so that only adds to how I feel about this new gen.

Spec wise, they're definitely underwhelming. I was expecting a bit better.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I think there will always be a console like device under many peoples televisions. 

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

It's not all that bad except when it tries to compete with pcs and other various boxes that do the same thing for less.

Seriously though, can't deny that magic of PS1, PS2 & PS3

When PS3 stopped playing games right out the box and then some YLOD happened they are dead to me.