How to deal with extreme cold

xDylanio

Well this morning I had trouble getting out of bed. It was really cold. Extremely, some would say. So what I did was, turn on my pc and put it under load. The top radiator exhausted a ton of heat and my room got hotter. I love it.  Have any of you guys tried this?

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

Full List : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sPgN8d

Currently my streaming computer is a dual E5-2670 workstation (because it's the only machine with which my capture card will initialize properly every time). Even at idle it kicks out a fair amount of heat. But what also helps is wearing more sweaters while doing the stream, because I'm not as comfortable in front of a camera so while talking and trying not to slip up, I get a bit hot under the collar. Warms me right up. Sometimes gets bad enough that I have to open a window and put a box fan blowing into my room xD

The six monitors dumping 30W each into my bedroom help as well, I suppose :P

29 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

Currently my streaming computer is a dual E5-2670 workstation (because it's the only machine with which my capture card will initialize properly every time). Even at idle it kicks out a fair amount of heat. But what also helps is wearing more sweaters while doing the stream, because I'm not as comfortable in front of a camera so while talking and trying not to slip up, I get a bit hot under the collar. Warms me right up. Sometimes gets bad enough that I have to open a window and put a box fan blowing into my room xD

The six monitors dumping 30W each into my bedroom help as well, I suppose :P

? hot under the collar, i imagine you with a second degree burn all over your neck. But six monitors, wow that's quite a lot

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

11 minutes ago, xDylanio said:

? hot under the collar, i imagine you with a second degree burn all over your neck. But six monitors, wow that's quite a lot

quick back-of-the-napkin math puts total idle heat output of my stuff at about 300W, when using both machines and ALL of my monitors. That'd be a pretty lackluster spaceheater :P but it warms the place up eventually.

I have a programmable thermostat... the heat turns on before I wake up in the morning, then shuts off while I'm out at work, then turns itself back on before I get home.

Seriously, if you wake up freezing in the morning, just turn the heat up lol

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@ the OP. Back when i lived with my dad there were times where i did this to make the bedroom feel a bit warmer.  Most of the time the temp didn't change overall, but it did take the "chill" out of the air.  A Humidifier has a similar effect of making it "feel" warmer.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I have a programmable thermostat... the heat turns on before I wake up in the morning, then shuts off while I'm out at work, then turns itself back on before I get home.

I do the same.  The thermostat is turns the heat up about 4 degrees 15 minutes before my alarm goes off and it drops it back down about 15 minutes after my alarm goes off.

Most of the time i wake up before the alarm goes off because i'm too hot. 

7 hours ago, xDylanio said:

Well this morning I had trouble getting out of bed. It was really cold. Extremely, some would say. So what I did was, turn on my pc and put it under load. The top radiator exhausted a ton of heat and my room got hotter. I love it.  Have any of you guys tried this?

Luck for me in the Winter any way I live in the warmest room of the house. Like I said, great in the Winter, Sometimes Ive been known to open my windows. But in the summer it sucks. 

My mama always said "What works outside to keep you warm, works just as good inside." :P

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Helly Hanson coats with the balled up fluffy shit on the inside is the best coat, add in a thick hoody and some warm gloves and you are good for artic coldness. There are heated coats for sale that are fucking expensive, but you can actually build your own for pretty cheap. All it is is carbon tape

http://www.carbonheater.us/

Or you use sew in some Chromium wire from places that sell vaping products, Fasttech.com is one source. Measure the resistance of the length of wire you want to use in the clothing and use P=VA and V=IR to calculate the wattage you want. You would be good for -50C very easily, but remember to wear a wind breaker and if you have a gut then you need a draw string on the bottom of the coats.

I have a Carhartt coat with the fluffy balled up stuff on the inside with a heavy fabric on the outside and 3 pockets, its great but the only issue is I got a gut so the wind gets up under it.

I have also found a fucking warm toque from Crappytire, its fucking thick as can be and is great for the really cold weather.

For pants, use ski gear or again use Helly Hanson.

Their SoftPile lineup is warm.

I got some heated boots from Salvation Army when Marks Work Warehouse donated them, they are a bit narrow for my flat feet. Not sure if they were defective or returns. Every year Sally Ann gives away coats, and every year I look to see what I can get even though I can pay for my own coat. My Carhartt coat was $250cdn. Best damn coat I have ever owned. I am looking for a summer coat now. The issue I have with all coats is the zipper, Columbia has crappy Zippers, Carhartt has the best and always go with metal zippers ALWAYS!

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Gonna get me one of those. The thermostat in my bedroom is being a bitch anyway, so I might as well swap them all out. Good for saving on the heating bill. Since I only have 3 in my apartment, I can get one with a fancy tablet to control and program them all from the comfort of my chair.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Is it the Nest or Honeywell? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

latest?cb=20160409020502

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

13 hours ago, xDylanio said:

Don't worry, I have to deal with it every day because CANADA

2 hours ago, xDylanio said:

I live in south texas

Could be worse. You could live here in Michigan. One day its clear, sunny and 60 degrees. The next day is 30 degrees and snow. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

58 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Don't worry, I have to deal with it every day because CANADA

Well atleast it comes with snow. I don't think it's snowed in my city, since i was in elementary around 3rd grade or so. Im in 8th now. 

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

53 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Could be worse. You could live here in Michigan. One day its clear, sunny and 60 degrees. The next day is 30 degrees and snow. 

That's basically my city. There's actual memes about how bipolar the weather is. One early morning it can be nice and cloudy, and once I'm out from school there can be a dust storm

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

4 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Live in Arizona

Why on earth would I want to live in a land locked state, if I were to move I'd want to live close to the ocean. I never understood snow birds going to landlocked states, always thought it was because of golf.

9 hours ago, yathis said:

Why on earth would I want to live in a land locked state, if I were to move I'd want to live close to the ocean. I never understood snow birds going to landlocked states, always thought it was because of golf.

I think it's because of how small the community are there. Maybe it's more peaceful there

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

16 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Come to upstate New York, it will be snowing one day, 65 degrees with 80mph wind the next, and then plunge back down to under 20 degrees for a few days.

`

6 hours ago, xDylanio said:

I think it's because of how small the community are there. Maybe it's more peaceful there

Maybe a lower crime rate, or perhaps cheaper houses and land. I still dont understand it, I'd rather live in a smaller house on the ocean then the squeltering heat of a landlocked place in a mansion. But thats what people want, huge houses with rooms they never use.