[US - Newegg] MSI Gaming Laptop GTX 1050 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD $769

mvitkun

62Bj0NA.png

The MSI GL62M 7RD-058 is $769 currently, the promo code NAFCRPTF01 gives a $30 discount and expires in approx. an hour and a half as of publishing this post, no idea whether it'll go back up to the $800-$1000 price point it was at before or whether the drop to $799 was a permanent one.

Spoiler

qaOWCXJ.png

Usually at this price point you'll either get discrete graphics (940mx - 1060) and the option of either a 1TB HDD or 128-512GB SSD OR an iGPU with an SSD and HDD, AFAIK you typically won't get the trifecta of an SSD, HDD, and worthwhile discrete graphics until you go past the $1000 price bracket.

Specs are as follows:

• 15.6" 1080p display
  • GTX 1050 w/ 2GB VRAM (comparable to GTX 960 desktop or gtx 970m)
  • i7 7300HQ (4c/8t)
  • 128GB SSD
  • 1TB HDD 
  • 8GB RAM

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Not bad, but isn't the mobile versions of GPUs pretty much the same as the desktop GPUs this gen?
So couldn't you just say the 1050 is equivalent to the 1050? Lol.

But yeah, this is a really great deal.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

22 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Not bad, but isn't the mobile versions of GPUs pretty much the same as the desktop GPUs?
So couldn't you just say the 1050 is equivalent to the 1050? Lol.

Initially only had the 970m bit to add clarity as to how it compares in performance to similar deals (sub $1k laptops w/ GPU, SSD, & HDD), decided to tack on the 960 desktop part just to remind people that the performance jump between the lower end SKUs was significant enough to warrant buying current gen x50 over last gen x60. This hasn't always been the case.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

42 minutes ago, mvitkun said:

Initially only had the 970m bit to add clarity as to how it compares in performance to similar deals (sub $1k laptops w/ GPU, SSD, & HDD), decided to tack on the 960 desktop part just to remind people that the performance jump between the lower end SKUs was significant enough to warrant buying current gen x50 over last gen x60. This hasn't always been the case.

Good point, though I'd hope they'd know it would be a huge jump considering it's pretty much the desktop GPUs.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.