About asking for help, don't you miss something.

stratege1401

Hello all.

From time to time, my brain fart !!! A LOT !!! So I have an urge to share my thought. 

OK, i am newbie here and i don't know the way to deal with this ???  ( joking of course !!! )

I have hard time answering people questions when they simply don't give all the info needed !!!

The last two day's, i have run in several cries in the night for help like:

" Cpu is an i7 6700 non k. This my first time building a pc.i have installed only the Cpu the ram and the Cpu cooler. I turn on the system for the first time and the bios menu pops up and the Cpu is running at 4 ghz, is that normal?

followed by:

I just found out a new problem. It shows that I have 8 gb ram instead of 16 gb "

Pretty funny, but the guy is a newbe, so i understant he need help.

OK, i know, i have a really good Chrystal ball but unfortunately i run out of batteries ...

HOW CAN WE HELP WITHOUT AT LEAST THE MOBO MODEL ....

Other exemple:

"I have OC my 1080, and it show artifact ...."

Well, same here. No info about brand, model ... just 1080 ... so i guess it is not amd (or could it be ), that you did OverCrashing by soldering new power cable to the 1080 and inject more power for about 10 times the factory setting, that it heated so much it is possible to fry eggs on it ....

HOPE YOU SEE MY POINT HERE...

So please, tell me i am not DON QUICHOTTE trying to overcome some kind of stupid endless quest ....

ARGGGGHHHHHH, i fell good now !!!

MY POINT: the more infos, the better help.

Simple rules:

- If it works, dont update it.

- You don't know how, just do it, you will learn.

- Test, restest, test again, and maybe it will do it.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=919931

If you need more info, you ask for more info. You can't expect everyone to spill all the info all over their thread, because if they truly mentioned everything the thread would be way too long.

Instead of feeling frustration, why not just ask the OP for more info if you feel like that would help you better solve his issue?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You don't need the mobo model to diagnose the first problem lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I don't agree.

You cry for help, you provide the info.

I am not going to fics every words or intel's out of their mouth, loosing a message simply to be nice and ask, ...bla bla bla what is the mobe model yo have ....  and waiste my time for the anwser...

a initial threat like:

" my asus x99-deluxe II with bios 1022 if failing post with my new I7-6800K, including new M.2 ....."  instaed of " ... my new mobo fail with my new cpu, HELLLLLL¨ppppp "

This is simple, fast, accurate !!

And me, and other helper won't loose any of their precious time ...

Simple rules:

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

You don't need the mobo model to diagnose the first problem lol

You completely miss the point here !!!

and if you refer to the first example, the guy put the ram in single channel mode ... witch the mobo model help to understand ...

Simple rules:

1 minute ago, stratege1401 said:

You completely miss the point here !!!

and if you refer to the first example, the guy put the ram in single channel mode ... witch the mobo model help to understand ...

You learn to deal with it. Many times I post a question and put what info I think is useful or I simply just don't know what to put. Yes, his post could of been made simplier but he is obviously a kid or English isn't his first language. You ask for more info or you give him an option like "This could be an issue (describe how to fix) and could certify this by knowing what motherboard you own"

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

People are just not aware of what matters and what doesn't when asking for help because this is not their field of interest particularly, we just gotta be patient because those are the ones that matter most.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

25 minutes ago, stratege1401 said:

I don't agree.

You cry for help, you provide the info.

I am not going to fics every words or intel's out of their mouth, loosing a message simply to be nice and ask, ...bla bla bla what is the mobe model yo have ....  and waiste my time for the anwser...

a initial threat like:

" my asus x99-deluxe II with bios 1022 if failing post with my new I7-6800K, including new M.2 ....."  instaed of " ... my new mobo fail with my new cpu, HELLLLLL¨ppppp "

This is simple, fast, accurate !!

And me, and other helper won't loose any of their precious time ...

It's funny how you are somewhat willing to help people online and expect no money for it, but don't want to waste your time with asking questions.

Some people don't know a lot about PC's and don't know what to mention.

From spending a bit of time on this forum, I have found out that threads with a little amount of info get more replies than full paragraph or more threads get.

While I don't think people making posts like "halp, my pc is not working!!!" are good, I also think having to ask for clarification is a thing that will always be present for a reason: the OP doesn't always know what is important to mention, because than he might actually have been able to solve it on his own.

Example:
OP: My <insert some game> is running at 60fps, but I want more fps for maximum smoothness. How can I make it run at higher fps?"

While the OP could have listed his entire setup, temperatures of his rig, use percentages on his components, etc., this might just be a V-sync being on issue that can be solved in a second. If it is not, at that point it is time to ask these sort of questions.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

It's funny how you are somewhat willing to help people online and expect no money for it, but don't want to waste your time with asking questions.

Some people don't know a lot about PC's and don't know what to mention.

From spending a bit of time on this forum, I have found out that threads with a little amount of info get more replies than full paragraph or more threads get.

While I don't think people making posts like "halp, my pc is not working!!!" are good, I also think having to ask for clarification is a thing that will always be present for a reason: the OP doesn't always know what is important to mention, because than he might actually have been able to solve it on his own.

Example:
OP: My <insert some game> is running at 60fps, but I want more fps for maximum smoothness. How can I make it run at higher fps?"

While the OP could have listed his entire setup, temperatures of his rig, use percentages on his components, etc., this might just be a V-sync being on issue that can be solved in a second. If it is not, at that point it is time to ask these sort of questions.

I do it like you, because i hope to receive some help when i will need it ... or at least i hope so.

At least, in your exemple for the game you write: My <insert some game> is running at 60fps ....  witch means you provide some infos !!!

Simple rules:

I'd personally rather see a very basic description of an error in the OP of a thread asking for help than a wall of text that makes it hard to decipher what's even going on.

You need more information, you ask. That's not hard. 

You don't see car mechanics getting mad when a customer tells them "my car is not starting, please help" when they call in, do ya?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

There are people posting here that shouldn't even be working on a computer with the type of questions they are asking.  Why is my PC not booting with no CPU or memory in it was one yesterday.  

2 minutes ago, juretrn said:

I'd personally rather see a very basic description of an error in the OP of a thread asking for help than a wall of text that makes it hard to decipher what's even going on.

You need more information, you ask. That's not hard. 

You don't see car mechanics getting mad when a customer tells them "my car is not starting, please help" when they call in, do ya?

unloaded or gazoil ???

Yes, i agree. But usually the mechanics will etheir  tow your car or at one time be in physical presence of the broken car.

In forum, we don't ...

Simple rules:

Just now, nizmoz44 said:

There are people posting here that shouldn't even be working on a computer with the type of questions they are asking.  Why is my PC not booting with no CPU or memory in it was one yesterday.  

Some people don't know it, and there is no other way to learn than to ask.

But i am pretty sure this post your talking about should be "elected post of the years" or receive an awards. xD

Simple rules:

Thread cleaned and moved to the off-topic section

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, stratege1401 said:

Some people don't know it, and there is no other way to learn than to ask.

But i am pretty sure this post your talking about should be "elected post of the years" or receive an awards. xD

Very true, but I went back 25 years ago and got educated in doing this type of work. Anyone who is just trying to do it, needs to to more research and learn more about how to do it instead of just jumping in and asking a ton of stupid questions.  Ugh.  Yeah, that post should be post of the year.  Seemed to be a very young kid.

3 minutes ago, nizmoz44 said:

Very true, but I went back 25 years ago and got educated in doing this type of work. Anyone who is just trying to do it, needs to to more research and learn more about how to do it instead of just jumping in and asking a ton of stupid questions.  Ugh.  Yeah, that post should be post of the year.  Seemed to be a very young kid.

Unfortunately, we all been young once !!!   xD :ph34r: 

Simple rules:

15 minutes ago, stratege1401 said:

I do it like you, because i hope to receive some help when i will need it ... or at least i hope so.

At least, in your exemple for the game you write: My <insert some game> is running at 60fps ....  witch means you provide some infos !!!

My example was just an issue described in a very minimal two sentence thread and that is all that is needed 9/10 times. The other 1/10 times, the posters can just ask the OP some more specifics. I don't see what the big deal with that is.

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

My example was just an issue described in a very minimal two sentence thread and that is all that is needed 9/10 times. The other 1/10 times, the posters can just ask the OP some more specifics. I don't see what the big deal with that is.

"sorry, out of paper "...

It was just my brain farting... no big deal, just my input on how to be smarter, faster ... the more, the better ... my little point of view ... :D

Simple rules:

OLE !!!

Simple rules:

1 hour ago, stratege1401 said:

Then don't. It's not like anyone will hold you accountable for not replying to a particular thread...