SLI worth it? gtx 1070

Light-Yagami

Hello

Long story short. I own a gtx 1070. I'm playing at 1440p. I want more power.

All SLI vids on youtube are at this point at least half a year old.

I want to know if SLI support got any better, what can I expect (scaling wise). Is it any good in the long run?

I know everythig there is to find on youtube about this, just want to hear your opinion. I know all the cons. 

Your answers are always appriciated. Cheers

It seems to be that SLI support is going down not up when it comes to Nvidia cards especially. Sell your 1070 and get a 1080ti.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

The way I've always understood it, SLI can be good, but it also can have glitches.

Much easier to have 1 more powerful card than using 2 in SLI, I've personally never used SLI but based on every tech video I've seen,

most people say some games wont even run with SLI enabled making them disable 1 card just to play a game, some games will stutter randomly, and others will

run flawlessly.

But most tech videos about this subject say, just buy 1 more powerful card it'll save you some possible headaches.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

1 minute ago, SorcierX said:

The way I've always understood it, SLI can be good, but it also can have glitches.

Much easier to have 1 more powerful card than using 2 in SLI, I've personally never used SLI but based on every tech video I've seen,

most people say some games wont even run with SLI enabled making them disable 1 card just to play a game, some games will stutter randomly, and others will

run flawlessly.

But most tech videos about this subject say, just buy 1 more powerful card it'll save you some possible headaches.

But a GTX 1070 Strix 8G IS powerful. Why am I getting that feeling like it's some middle range 1080p card, fcking hell m8. Here in europe a gtx 1080 is like a $850, do you know how expensive that is?!! My 1070 was sth like $600.. If i get another one tho, preformance should in the most cases be around a single Titan xp, little higher in most cases. And extra CUDA acceleration in contend creation sure is good right? I just want to max out that son of a bitch AC creed syndicate. 

What frames on average "FPS" are you hitting in games with your GTX 1070 at 1440p. Im curious?

Its a good benchmarks if myself or anyone else wants to buy a GTX 1080 or higher :)

I think you're over estimating the power of your 1070 by a bit. A 1070 is about equal to a 980Ti, this being said, SLI 1070 is nowhere near a TitanXP.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

If you want to max out a single game, I'd do research for what people are using to play that single game to see what kind of fps you can get with a certain setup.

Also, like said, some games don't actually like / care about SLI so check to make sure the 1 game you're trying to max cares and can utilize SLI if you decide to go that route.

AsRock X99 Taichi MB // Intel Core i7-6800k Overclocked @ 4.0GHZ // Noctua NH-U14S Cooler // Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 // EVGA GeForce 980Ti SC+ // Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD // 2TB WD Gold HDD // Corsair RM850 PSU // Corsair Obsidian Series 750D // Asus VG248QE 144Hz

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 // Intel Core i5-3570k Overclocked @ 4.2GHZ // Noctua NH-L9x65 Cooler // Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 // EVGA GeForce 960 // 250 GB WD Blue HDD // EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80+ GOLD // Corsair Carbide Series 100R

3 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

I think you're over estimating the power of your 1070 by a bit. A 1070 is about equal to a 980Ti, this being said, SLI 1070 is nowhere near a TitanXP.

If you want to max out a single game, I'd do research for what people are using to play that single game to see what kind of fps you can get with a certain setup.

Also, like said, some games don't actually like / care about SLI so check to make sure the 1 game you're trying to max cares and can utilize SLI if you decide to go that route.

SLI 1070 > Titan with perfect to near perfect scaling. Has been proven time and again already. 

Sli 1070 is a beast. I have only one game at this moment that is not supported, and that is gears 4. Running dual strix 1070 personally coming from dual 970 with hard locked OC. With the 1070 I don't put any work into the OC and they scream. 

IMG_5538.JPG

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

1 minute ago, IceCold008 said:

What frames on average "FPS" are you hitting in games with your GTX 1070 at 1440p. Im curious?

Its a good benchmarks if myself or anyone else wants to buy a GTX 1080 or higher :)

When playing Call of Duty BO1 from 2010, it caps at 200 because I have it set that way, it's sitting around 60% tho.

In AC syndicate, with shadows lowered and fxaa only I'm getting consistent 60fps for the most part, but max out everything and we're talking high 30s. Quantum Break is high 80s maxed out, Infinite Warfare from 80-110 maxed out (not sure, haven't played it for a while now).. Doom plays really good as well, maxed out above 100fps for the most part. Basically the only game that got me below that 60fps was AC syndicate. Everything else is very close to or above 100fps maxed out. So it's not like I have any issues runing anything. I should mention that is paired with 6700k OCed to 4.5ghz and GPU to 2050-2075mhz. 

The thing is 1440p resolution is a powerful resolution to run at. And if your running the lastest AAA games at max settings. Your going to need the raw power to push them frames. 

Plus Light-Yagami does not say what FPS he was getting in games which disappoint himself. 

If hes hitting over 80+ on the most demanding games then i think its fine with his 1070. But then again if hes hitting low 30's then i can understand why hes abit pissed. lol

1 minute ago, Light-Yagami said:

When playing Call of Duty BO1 from 2010, it caps at 200 because I have it set that way, it's sitting around 60% tho.

In AC syndicate, with shadows lowered and fxaa only I'm getting consistent 60fps for the most part, but max out everything and we're talking high 30s. Quantum Break is high 80s maxed out, Infinite Warfare from 80-110 maxed out (not sure, haven't played it for a while now).. Doom plays really good as well, maxed out above 100fps for the most part. Basically the only game that got me below that 60fps was AC syndicate. Everything else is very close to or above 100fps maxed out. So it's not like I have any issues runing anything. I should mention that is paired with 6700k OCed to 4.5ghz and GPU to 2050-2075mhz. 

Keep in mind Infinite Warfare is frame capped at 91 for multiplayer and 125 for campaign unless it's changed recently. 

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

3 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Just seen your comment. And thanks for them stats comes in useful for me if i want to get my 1080ti and a 1440p monitor :)

6 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

since they're build on the same architecture, 2 gtx 1070s have 3840 cuda cores compared to 3584 on titan xp. They also run much higher clock speeds. If scaling was perfect, gtx 1070 sli would beat titan xp easy. Since scaling isn't linear, the gap closes and you only get a few extra % or preformance out of them. They are faster in CUDA acceleration as well. In games that don't like SLI, this ofcourse fails. Check this video out: You didn't burst my bubble m8, I know my shit.

5 minutes ago, reptileexperts said:

Keep in mind Infinite Warfare is frame capped at 91 for multiplayer and 125 for campaign unless it's changed recently. 

I was stating Campaign stats.. It's heavier to run than Multiplayer.. I didn't know it's capped. Can't you unlock it in game console??

You're correct, I was mis-informed. This being said, results also vary from game to game. Some games 1070 SLI will beat Titan XP, some games it won't.

ATM im still using a pair of 670 in SLI. Apart from the last few years AAA games "got a backlog not played yet". I've had no issues with SLI what so ever APART from one game. That was Planetside 2. It ran faster with SLI turned off. 

So from my experience for OLDER Games which are like from 3 years ago plus. I can say SLI is good. Most games ive played the scaling is good and ive hit good FPS over one of my 670's. 

Now saying that the newer games i CANT comment on. Ive got a backlog waiting for the 1080ti benchmarks first hehe

4 minutes ago, SorcierX said:

You're correct, I was mis-informed. This being said, results also vary from game to game. Some games 1070 SLI will beat Titan XP, some games it won't.

Yeah, like I said. And like the guy in the video said. And the other dude who also commented on this topic. We all get it scaling issues. Welcome aboard! On a serious note, raw preformance is better with 1070 SLI. That is a fact. Thanks for acknowledging your mis-informed opinion. Most people don't. Cheers for that.

23 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Yeah, like I said. And like the guy in the video said. And the other dude who also commented on this topic. We all get it scaling issues. Welcome aboard! On a serious note, raw preformance is better with 1070 SLI. That is a fact. Thanks for acknowledging your mis-informed opinion. Most people don't. Cheers for that.

I don't know why you are being so rude about this. But to answer your question, you want more power? Sell your 1070 and buy a 1080ti. Even though 1070 is a little better than the titan XP, the 1080ti is also supposed to be a little faster than the Titan XP. Even though you have done research on SLI, and I'm not doubting your research, a single card is almost always better. I own 2 980ti's in SLI and I'm selling both to grab a 1080ti.

sry quoting myself from another topic

been through the same deal - sli means problems

- 1080 sli, 1080 ti sli or titan xp sli maybe if you want 4k 60fps+ for couple years in supported titles not all games.

i have run 1070 sli and it proved to be more problem than gain so sold them and got myself a 1080 and ryzen 1700 and asus b350a matx board in the remaining money

so if you want more power less problems sell the 1070 and go for 1080, titan xp or wait for 1080ti.

the 1070 sli raw, benchmarking, rendering power is incredible for its price but 80% of games have problems because sli user market is really low and its up to developers to support and code for it. nvidia can do all they can to optimize but it wont be worth the trouble if you want to play all AAA games at launch.

unless you are running a 4k - ultrawide 1440p or 1440p with 100hz or up you can go 1070 sli but again a single 1080 will be mostly enough for even 4k 60fps games most of the time.

till dx12 games with proper support for multi gpu releases. its always better to go for the higher single card and i have learned it the hard way going with

r9 380

r9 380 cf

r9 390

r9 390 cf

gtx 1070

gtx 1070 sli

and now happy with my

gtx 1080 and maybe if the price drops good for may add another 1080 to make it sli or just sell my 1080 and get 1080ti if solo 4k performance is comperable to titan xp with lower price.

and good luck

1 minute ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

I don't know why you are being so rude about this. But to answer your question, you want more power? Sell your 1070 and buy a 1080ti. Even though 1070 is a little better than the titan XP, the 1080ti is also supposed to be a little faster than the Titan XP. Even though you have done research on SLI, and I'm not doubting your research, a single card is almost always better. I own 2 980ti's in SLI and I'm selling both to grab a 1080ti.

Well, from what you've answered I clearly see you haven't read the whole thing since I adressed why buying anythig higher than 1070 is a big nono. I had no intention of being rude, I'm sorry if that's how I came across. I wist I could just sell and buy a new card. That would be awesome. It's real world tho and I don't have that kind of money. And here where I live anything higher than 1080 is so expensive that no people buy it and is thus no available for the most part..

5 minutes ago, MCCOPRA said:

sry quoting myself from another topic

and now happy with my

gtx 1080 and maybe if the price drops good for may add another 1080 to make it sli or just sell my 1080 and get 1080ti if solo 4k performance is comperable to titan xp with lower price.

and good luck

So you suggest me to stick with my gtx 1070 and sell it later to buy something better rather to add another 1070.

Just now, Light-Yagami said:

So you suggest me to stick with my gtx 1070 and sell it later to buy something better rather to add another 1070.

what monitor you are running IPS 1440p monitor so that is mostly 60hz(60fps) and i believe to GTX 1070 should be powerful enough to run 60fps+ to that screen.

unless you are video editing rendering using the cuda core count, the second 1070 sli can be more pain to setup use and sell later.

so if you want future proofing start saving - prepare selling the current 1070 and if you can wait wait for AMD VEGA release and than decide to go 1080ti or Vega which both should be powerful enough to run even 4k 60fps monitors later down the road.

1 minute ago, MCCOPRA said:

what monitor you are running IPS 1440p monitor so that is mostly 60hz(60fps) and i believe to GTX 1070 should be powerful enough to run 60fps+ to that screen.

unless you are video editing rendering using the cuda core count, the second 1070 sli can be more pain to setup use and sell later.

so if you want future proofing start saving - prepare selling the current 1070 and if you can wait wait for AMD VEGA release and than decide to go 1080ti or Vega which both should be powerful enough to run even 4k 60fps monitors later down the road.

I have exactly what you said. 1440p 60hz IPS monitor. And my gtx 1070 runs everything above the max refresh rate. I think I'm good for a while. But then again when I switch to sth like 4k, I want a gpu that will preform better than 1070 does at 1440p.. I don't know man.. I guess it's just my OCD kicking in because I don't have the best of the best.. We'll see as the time goes by. I'll get the best of nvidia or AMD when I have the money. 

12 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Well, from what you've answered I clearly see you haven't read the whole thing since I adressed why buying anythig higher than 1070 is a big nono. I had no intention of being rude, I'm sorry if that's how I came across. I wist I could just sell and buy a new card. That would be awesome. It's real world tho and I don't have that kind of money. And here where I live anything higher than 1080 is so expensive that no people buy it and is thus no available for the most part..

If everything is so expensive then why are you even asking about buying something else? Obviously if it's so much money it's not gonna be worth it

If you already have one, id get another. Im prolly gonna get another 1080, card wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Could sell it and get a 1080ti but I doubt that's gonna be enough either. Rather not have to go through the hassle, getting another card is much easier.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

20 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

If you already have one, id get another. Im prolly gonna get another 1080, card wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Could sell it and get a 1080ti but I doubt that's gonna be enough either. Rather not have to go through the hassle, getting another card is much easier.

I'm kinda looking towards 1440p gaming at 100hz+ That is AAA titles like Witcher 3 and AC syndicate. And they scale very good. It's satisfying to finally hear somebody say what I want to hear. I agree that SLI comes with a few downsides, but it's great for the most part..