Ninite.com, I'd like to see f.lux there

Hello,

When I first heard about Ninite, it was 2012.  At this point, I'd be using f.lux quite consistently, I even jailbroke my iPad (as part of payment for a tech job, simple reinstall windows, install programs using ninite etc) to use f.lux!  So when I saw there was a suggestion form, I put in the program.  Well, that was oh, 5 1/2 years ago?  Yeah, so they say "only popular apps" will be added.  Well shit, this program has over 10 million downloads, how much more popular could it get?!

So, ninite is definitely NOT taking the hint.  I'd kindly ask that if you personally like f.lux, that you help it get the exposure it deserves with the help of ninite, and suggest it, or any other app you think they should add.  Also, if you have a cool program that you think should be there, and I like it (or others like it) go ahead and suggest it too.

Tip:  I highly doubt they'll add ANY program if you do not list your email address.  I feel like they think of it as repeat suggestions, and we want to show these suggestions are unique.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

16 minutes ago, smokefest said:

flux ? must not be so popular, don't even know what it is

Well, then you know what to do.

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

So you're telling me that f.lux, which from what I can tell is just a program to change the brightness of a screen by time of day, is as popular as Chrome, VLC, foobar200, malwarebytes, steam, dropbox or GIMP just to name a few that I use (and have actually heard of)...

I mean I think nvidia's geforce has been downloaded more often than this (thought that may be different since it handles drivers) but still. I seriously doubt it inconveniences you that much that you cant just go to a separate website to get. 

Also, it could get a lot more popular. Try like 50 million or 100 million.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

It doesn't adjust brightness specifically, although the effect of the program does reduce the light output from the blue and green pixels of the graphics output to the monitor.

It adjusts the color temperature (shade of white and how much yellow / orange,  or how much blue) and reduces it, making things warmer like when you turn on incandescent bulbs with their consistent yellow glow.

These lights don't produce much aqua and blue but at high power (even 60 watts) still have a respectable amount of green light. This will still be enough to delay your sleep compared to orange toned sources like a dim fire and embers especially.

To visually see what I mean regarding the colors output by a light source, the f.lux team has a very expensive device (actually several!) called a spectrometer.  They created a really cool website called the "fluxometer" to show the light output of many devices and lights to help people get an idea of the quality of a light source and its affect on alertness or how awake you'll be.

I went a bit off topic here and you're most likely not as interested in all this as I am judging your current attitude but I wanted to highlight that this program doesn't really just affect brightness.

Software suggestions

Still not something regularly used and on par with popularity with rest of the listed software imo

Useless, next month Windows 10 will have with the release of Windows 10 Creator Update. It is called Night Light (assuming it doesn't get renamed under then).

Capture.PNG

4 minutes ago, Timpster said:

_snip_

Honestly this sounds interesting, I'm not being sarcastic. But I just dont see it as a popular must need app for the every day PC user. And while you have strong feelings a valid opinion (as like 98% of opinions are valid I believe) I just dont believe 10 million is enough to justify its addition to the list. Sorry. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Well we gotta start! This program helps people sleep sooner, I actually made a post about f.lux this same time of year a year ago however odd that may be.

I don't want to spam it but I do feel it's a very important additional to desktop monitors around the globe that have a similar consistency of sunrise and sunset yeast round.  People that live in an area of limited daylight or mostly daylight a majority of the year this program would take a bit of extra configuration--but that's what the upcoming beta program will help solve.

Software suggestions

F.lux is a nice program. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

My only gripe with f.lux is the massive frame dips I get in some games when that starts to transition

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I switched from f.lux a while ago.

It just never evolved since the day it was released, only allowing you to change the color temp a bit, but not that much.

So now I use SunsetScreen, with expanded color range, I can make the color temp 2400k and 35% brightness at night. (or lower, down to 500 color temp and 20% brightness)

The windows creator update will add the blue light filter, but from what I can see, it's a very basic one. It's great and all, but its still lacking adequate controls over both the temperature and the brightness.

Which, lets face it, is severely lacking on Windows, it's obviously made with monitors in mind, as they have their own brightness controller built-in. But laptops and tablets do not have that. So as it stand, current brightness controls range between 3 settings "Super Bright"/"Bright"/"slightly dimmer than bright but will still destroy your eyes if you dare use your tablet at night".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

14 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

So you're telling me that f.lux, which from what I can tell is just a program to change the brightness of a screen by time of day, is as popular as Chrome, VLC, foobar200, malwarebytes, steam, dropbox or GIMP just to name a few that I use (and have actually heard of)...

I mean I think nvidia's geforce has been downloaded more often than this (thought that may be different since it handles drivers) but still. I seriously doubt it inconveniences you that much that you cant just go to a separate website to get. 

Also, it could get a lot more popular. Try like 50 million or 100 million.

It's not just brightness. It's colour temperature.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580