DAC , sound card or amp

Yagyu

Hi . im making myself a new pc and i was wondering if i neede a sound card , i listen to a lot of music and i would call myself an ''rookie audiophile''.

I would like something good both for music and games, i have an corsair void and a hifiman 350 . 1 for gaming the other more for music.

Could you tell me the the best possible no price limit and the best budget choice too.

my specs https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ks6Jqk 

im also planning on getting some great speakers , i was think about the POWERFUL THX SOUND Z625 , if you have something better tell me , the best possible and the best budget choice too.

Thank you all , if you need more info tell me.

(english is not my primary language btw)

1 minute ago, Yagyu said:

Hi . im making myself a new pc and i was wondering if i neede a sound card , i listen to a lot of music and i would call myself an ''rookie audiophile''.

I would like something good both for music and games, i have an corsair void and a hifiman 350 . 1 for gaming the other more for music.

Could you tell me the the best possible no price limit and the best budget choice too.

my specs https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ks6Jqk 

im also planning on getting some great speakers , i was think about the POWERFUL THX SOUND Z625 , if you have something better tell me , the best possible and the best budget choice too.

Thank you all , if you need more info tell me.

(english is not my primary language btw)

The hifimans would be what you would have trouble driving. A desktop dac/amp wouldn't really power those speakers either. Don't bother with a soundcard. I say try onboard audio and if you have issues, then we'll decide a solution.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

5 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

The hifimans would be what you would have trouble driving. A desktop dac/amp wouldn't really power those speakers either. Don't bother with a soundcard. I say try onboard audio and if you have issues, then we'll decide a solution.

yeah maybe

Just now, Yagyu said:

yeah maybe

Seriously. If it is driven fine with no hiss and is loud enough for your taste, don't bother with a DAc/amp. No benefit.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

No point in recommending something with no price limit as I doubt the HE-350 would scale up to a chain costing thousands of dollars. More realistically, a Schiit Valhalla 2 and Modi Multibit might be interesting, but that's just a guess based on it being a warmish dynamic headphone.

If you want to try something to see if you notice quality improvements, maybe a Schiit Fulla 2.

Not that I am only recommending anything at all because you call yourself an audiophile. For most people I would say stick with onboard.

I would simply check two thinks.

1. Are you getting noticeable noise whne plugging those headphones into your motherboard audio?
  2. Do you have enough volume/ enough power from the moptherboard audio to power you headphones?

If the answers are no and yes I would say you are probably fine but that is a very vague evalution.
These are then main to factors influenced by getting an external DAC and or AMP. Of course sound quality also comes into play but going at it very basically this would be the 2 questions to ask.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

On 25/02/2017 at 9:06 PM, GER_T4IGA said:

I would simply check two thinks.

1. Are you getting noticeable noise whne plugging those headphones into your motherboard audio?
  2. Do you have enough volume/ enough power from the moptherboard audio to power you headphones?

If the answers are no and yes I would say you are probably fine but that is a very vague evalution.
These are then main to factors influenced by getting an external DAC and or AMP. Of course sound quality also comes into play but going at it very basically this would be the 2 questions to ask.

thank you fr the info ! :D