Using a stock cooler with an i7 4790K?

I'm planning to buy an i7 4790K since it's the best cpu available for my motherboard(MSI Z87 Mpower) and since there won't be enough for a decent cooler anytime soon, will it be OK to use the intel stock cooler that came with my Pentium G3420 as long as I don't overclock until I can afford something better? I am aware that the i7 has a higher TDP then the Pentium but it's still winter and the case has plenty of fans, 7 in total, as it's a fairly old case(Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A), 2 of which are outtake fans right next the CPU cooler.

You can use it, just keep an eye on your Temps and make sure you don't go over 85C constantly.

Edit: just try and get something better ASAP, the EVO is like $30.

Yes, as long as you dont overclock you will be just fine on the stock cooler. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

10 minutes ago, nitroflow said:

I'm planning to buy an i7 4790K since it's the best cpu available for my motherboard(MSI Z87 Mpower) and since there won't be enough for a decent cooler anytime soon, will it be OK to use the intel stock cooler that came with my Pentium G3420 as long as I don't overclock until I can afford something better? I am aware that the i7 has a higher TDP then the Pentium but it's still winter and the case has plenty of fans, 7 in total, as it's a fairly old case(Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A), 2 of which are outtake fans right next the CPU cooler.

just donwload aida64 and check every now and than and u'll be fine.

You can but I would not recommend it. Even a cheap cooler like the 212 evo is a lot better 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

@nitroflow The 4790K comes with a stock cooler, and it may be a slightly different design than the one that came with your Pentium, so it would probably be wise to use that one instead. I'm sure it will keep the CPU adequately cool as long as you have reasonably good case airflow and don't try to overvolt.

How long do you plan to use the stock cooler? I'm not sure what you mean by "anytime soon," but if this CPU is going to spend most of its life with the stock cooler you'd probably be better off buying a locked i7 (4790, 4770, or Xeon E3 1231 v3) and saving some money. The 4790K is technically "the best" Haswell-S CPU, but a huge portion of what makes it better is its ability to overclock.

since you wont OC it will be enough, but if you gonna stress it constantly and it gets close or above 80C then you should try getting the 212 evo or if wanna cheap up a little the Hyper T4

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I would suggest getting a Zalman CNPS10X for it when you can afford to buy a nicer cooler, but if you are not going to overclock the thing for now, the stock cooler should work.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

3 hours ago, typographie said:

@nitroflow The 4790K comes with a stock cooler, and it may be a slightly different design than the one that came with your Pentium, so it would probably be wise to use that one instead. I'm sure it will keep the CPU adequately cool as long as you have reasonably good case airflow and don't try to overvolt.

How long do you plan to use the stock cooler? I'm not sure what you mean by "anytime soon," but if this CPU is going to spend most of its life with the stock cooler you'd probably be better off buying a locked i7 (4790, 4770, or Xeon E3 1231 v3) and saving some money. The 4790K is technically "the best" Haswell-S CPU, but a huge portion of what makes it better is its ability to overclock.

By anytime soon I mean as soon as I can afford to buy it, which will be a couple months at the very least. I do plan on overclocking eventually since it would be a waste not to or buying a locked processor given the capabilities of the motherboard, but don't plan to have it permanently overclocked since I can do it at the press of a button.

Ehh, the stock cooler won't hurt anything until you get a better one. You can try to OC on it too if you want. Again, all you'd risk is thermal shutdown. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…