Should I switch off my power supply after shutting down system?

I have an audio interface and a MIDI controller keyboard connected to my computer via usb (both get their power through usb). When I shut down the system the devices are still lit up as if the system was up and running. Should I switch off the power supply after shutting down the system? Is there any harm to computer components or external devices in leaving the power supply on all the time?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, wcompton said:

I have an audio interface and a MIDI controller keyboard connected to my computer via usb (both get their power through usb). When I shut down the system the devices are still lit up as if the system was up and running. Should I switch off the power supply after shutting down the system? Is there any harm to computer components or external devices in leaving the power supply on all the time?

Thanks!

i have always left my power supply on. they are built to run 24/7. as long as dust doesn't build up in the psu

4 minutes ago, wcompton said:

Thanks!

Nah there's no point. The PSU will continue to supply a little power to the motherboard, so it can keep charging USB devices and allow for stuff like Wake on Lan.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

i usually plug all my gear into a power-strip and after a proper shutdown I pull the plug from the wall, ultimate protection and saves $$$ on power.

"Cheapness is not a skill"

2 minutes ago, davidna2002 said:

i usually plug all my gear into a power-strip and after a proper shutdown I pull the plug from the wall, ultimate protection and saves $$$ on power.

It's literally saving no money doing this.  2W saved over 10 years is < $20.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It's literally saving no money doing this.  2W saved over 10 years is < $20.

take a twenty and throw it out the window and tell me how it feels.  find $20 and tell me how it feels.

"Cheapness is not a skill"

1 minute ago, davidna2002 said:

take a twenty and throw it out the window and tell me how it feels.  find $20 and tell me how it feels.

Oh you want to play this game?  If you make $7 an hour and you spend 5 seconds a day every day for 10 years bending over to turn on the power strip, you wasted $35 to save $20.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I do. Its not harmful either ways, aside from the you should let your system completely shutdown and give it 10 seconds or so to let go of any unwanted charge particles and the usual button wear.

Groomlake Authority

7 minutes ago, davidna2002 said:

20$ over 10 years = .005$ per day. I will gladly throw a penny out the window every other day for 10 years. I find a penny every other day and it feels so insignificant that I wouldn't even bother picking it up

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

9 minutes ago, davidna2002 said:

Why not replace a single incandescent light bulb with an energy saving one? Or leave your heater off for a minute or two longer than normal each week. Saving that kind of power is pointless and unnoticeable, especially if you live outside of the US, where power seems to be a big concern.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

2 hours ago, wcompton said:

Thanks!

Just turn your PC off via your OS and forget about it from there unless you're swapping out hardware in your PC. Then it would make sense to switch the PSU off.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||