How to save Windows Install files on laptop , when upgrade Hard Drive or SSD?

keavlar
Go to solution Solved by Misinthe,
1 minute ago, keavlar said:

xD  

It is so funny. 

1- The laptop came with 2 drives. 

1. - SSD M2.

2. - 1 TB of 5400 rpm drive.

( When , have some issues with laptop , or i just wanna clean it , this is what i do Reinstall Windows  ) .

I just , wanna copy all the needed files, to do same from new SSD . ( But you already understand that , just make it clear in case)

Hey guys. 

I will try to be short.

In most laptops you have a volume on HD, that stored the Windows Installation files, if you wan't to reset it. 

I want to upgrade the HD to new one, and i don't wanna lose the Windows, how can i do so? 

If you not sure, what i mean, tell me, i will try to rephrase it again . 

Thx

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

Some SSD come with a software (I know PNY and Kingston do) that will let you move all your hard drive into your SSD (like just copy it). But you need 2 things.

1. The SSD has to have at least the same free space that what is used in the HDD (if you have used 700GB you can't move it into a 500GB SSD)

2. You need an external adapter. (Sata to USB) to plug the new drive while using your old one.

Just now, Miguel552 said:

Some SSD come with a software (I know PNY and Kingston do) that will let you move all your hard drive into your SSD (like just copy it). But you need 2 things.

1. The SSD has to have at least the same free space that what is used in the HDD (if you have used 700GB you can't move it into a 500GB SSD)

2. You need an external adapter. (Sata to USB) to plug the new drive while using your old one.

I think i have NOT the PNY and Kingston. 

I have the 128 Gb of M2 ssd , and i am not even sure , if the windows installed there.. 

The other hdd, which 1tb , is not used at all./ 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

I think i have NOT the PNY and Kingston. 

I have the 128 Gb of M2 ssd , and i am not even sure , if the windows installed there.. 

The other hdd, which 1tb , is not used at all./ 

We'll, first, 128GB m.2 ssd is not a brand, just a type. Second figure out how much you have used? And empty it, or do a clean install. Third, there are 3rd party programs that will let you clone your drive I to a new one.

We'll, first, 128GB m.2 ssd is not a brand, just a type. Second figure out how much you have used? And empty it, or do a clean install. Third, there are 3rd party programs that will let you clone your drive I to a new one.

XD, i know that it is not Brand XDDDD  . i was just saying. My concern is that , it is possible that on that drive, is stored a copy of Windows , from where goes the instalation. 

How can i even find , where the copy located ?

3 minutes ago, keavlar said:

XD, i know that it is not Brand XDDDD  . i was just saying. My concern is that , it is possible that on that drive, is stored a copy of Windows , from where goes the instalation. 

How can i even find , where the copy located ?

You have 3 hard drives listed, I can't tell you which one you used for your OS. Go into my computer and see the drives.

You have 3 hard drives listed, I can't tell you which one you used for your OS. Go into my computer and see the drives.

facepalm.jpg  

I::  Windows Installed on SSD 128 gb, _ 64 gb left free.

2:: HDD - 1 TB , with nothing in it. Clear , Empty. 

( If you looking on my Home PC, which listed in my signature, then dude, i have no idea what to tell you, the topic opened in the Laptop area, which i am talking right now. I can easy install  a new copy of windows on laptop , but i don't wanna do it, as the laptop come , with copy of Windows 10 already , and it is stored some where on the laptop, i wanna just keep it, you can call it " to make a copy ", to place it to another SSD. I don't know, how else i can explain too you , what i want to do ) 

4 minutes ago, keavlar said:

I know what you want to do, transfer your OS into a new SSD. So if your laptop already has 2 drives installed, which one do you want to exchange? And by the way, use that kind of English always, those first posts you can barely understand.

I know what you want to do, transfer your OS into a new SSD. So if your laptop already has 2 drives installed, which one do you want to exchange? And by the way, use that kind of English always, those first posts you can barely understand.

xD ok man.. 

I want to change both of them. But you know what , to make it easy , "NOW", i will change only the SSD, where the OS installed. 

xD ok man.. 

I want to change both of them. But you know what , to make it easy , "NOW", i will change only the SSD, where the OS installed. 

Okay, so the OS is only inside your current SSD, you said the other is empty. So don't even count on that, there's nothing to be moved from it. All you need is to plug the new drive like I said, with an adapter, then in the program choose From: SSD, To: New Drive.

Okay, so the OS is only inside your current SSD, you said the other is empty. So don't even count on that, there's nothing to be moved from it. All you need is to plug the new drive like I said, with an adapter, then in the program choose From: SSD, To: New Drive.

In what program? 

What Adapter ?

And are you even sure , the installation files , are on the ssd? 

15 minutes ago, keavlar said:

facepalm.jpg  

You just said it here... Okay dude, be clear, how many drives came with the laptop? Have you added the new one yet?

You just said it here... Okay dude, be clear, how many drives came with the laptop? Have you added the new one yet?

xD  

It is so funny. 

1. - SSD M2.

( When , have some issues with laptop , or i just wanna clean it , this is what i do Reinstall Windows  ) .

I just , wanna copy all the needed files, to do same from new SSD . ( But you already understand that , just make it clear in case)

xD  

It is so funny. 

1. - SSD M2.

DAMN BOY.. where did you find it ( It's a joke) , guess i was looking with wrong tags./. Thx mate . 

22 minutes ago, viggo11_dk said:

I went from a 1TB HDD to a 240 GB SSD so that's not true, unless ofc your old drive has more used space than than the new one has. Just saying 

I said there that the SSD has to have the same free space that what is used in the HDD. 

Wtf, just reinstall it. The key is attached to mb hardware on laptops. Even when you reinstall it, the Win10 Home will auto activate. i don't why it's so hard. In the span of this topic you could of reinstalled it several times. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

4 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Wtf, just reinstall it. The key is attached to mb hardware on laptops. Even when you reinstall it, the Win10 Home will auto activate. i don't why it's so hard. In the span of this topic you could of reinstalled it several times. 

Please explain . What you mean  it is attached to mb .. What is that.. ( It is definitely, not like old laptops, where you have sticker with the Serial Number for the windows activation. ) 

4 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Also, what you mean, just reinstal it? Please , dont tell me you did not understand what i ask. 

If you change the SSD  that came with the LAptop , you also , lose the Windows 10 installation files!!

On 2/12/2017 at 11:52 AM, Miguel552 said:

Say , i can do this also to M2 ssd right? 

4 hours ago, keavlar said:

Say , i can do this also to M2 ssd right? 

Should be able to.

On 2/13/2017 at 5:49 AM, keavlar said:

Please explain . What you mean  it is attached to mb .. What is that.. ( It is definitely, not like old laptops, where you have sticker with the Serial Number for the windows activation. ) 

Modern-day laptops have their Windows license key embedded somewhere on the motherboard, so when you install Windows, it will automatically activate without you needing to do anything.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

2 hours ago, exercutor5 said:

Modern-day laptops have their Windows license key embedded somewhere on the motherboard, so when you install Windows, it will automatically activate without you needing to do anything.

which i should mention is a HUGE pain in the ass for people that want to upgrade, update, downgrade their systems. Everytime you want to swap to a different version of Windows, it auto installs to 10 HOME (because 90% of all laptops ship with 10 Home), and it's a massive pain in the ass to gain access to Windows update keys (separate from version keys) to first update your system to whatever your intended version is and then activate it. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

2 hours ago, exercutor5 said:

You hundred % sure?