How Many Keyboard Shortcuts Do You Use?

I am working on an idea and have some questions for you guys. I hope this discussion is welcome. How many keyboard shortcuts do you remember when using a creative software (i.e. photoshop, gimp, illustrator, ableton, after effects, etc.)? How long does it take you to remember a new shortcut? Would you use more shortcuts if they were more obvious?

Thanks for any responses!

If a program allows me to set my own shortcuts, I use them a lot. In something like C4D and Premiere Pro I use shortcuts a lot as it cuts down the time it takes to do things so much. In Photoshop I very rarely use shortcuts. 

Most common shortcuts are for MPC-HC and MusicBee (global shortcuts for controlling music)

EDIT: Pretty much the only Windows shortcuts I use are Ctrl+Shift+Esc and Win+L

I work a lot in Photoshop and sometimes in Illustrator, with Photoshop I use the shortcut keys for most of the tools, like Brush (B), Pen Tool (P), Lasso Tools(L), and many more. I also do use the Shift modifier to swap between Tools within a category. Other often used shortcuts are Image resize, Canvas Size, Repeat Effect and Save for Web. (And ofcourse the more basic ones like Opening, Saving, Saving As, Copy, Cut and Paste.)

I actually already changed that the Convert Point Tool is also added to the Shift - P rotation, though lately that became obselete as I noticed Alt can be added as a modifier to Convert Anchor points.

CTRL-C

CTRL-V

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Blender 3d...

s scale, r rotate,

g translate, z transparency, x x axis, y y axis, z z axis, shift x y and z axis, shift y x and z axis, shift z x and y axis, numpad 1 front, numpad 3 side, numpad 7 top, 5 orthographic, and perspective, b box select, tab switch edit mode, shift a add object, w is a list of specials, alt m is merge, f is face, control j is join

that's 21...

arma3 with arma 2 controls, wsad move, double w sprint, shift walk, double shift walk mode, v vault, b binoculars, g gear, l light, n nightvision, q and e lean, f firemode, t throw, k compass, double k lock compass out, o is clock, and move head, double alt free move head, numpad 741 turn head left different degrees, 963 turn right set degrees, r reload, m map/gps, c stand, x crouch, z prone, period and comma change chat type, / text chat, \ and ' for special poses, q for aircraft throttle up, z for throttle dow, wsad for tilting aircraft, x and c for turning, f1-f12 access squad members, 1-0 special commands, backspace exit context menu, enter accept context menu.

70 keyboard shortcuts.

I know a bit of maya's controls but most of it is clicking.

tap space for viewports, hold for marking menu. shift rightclick for context sensitive menus, g for last command, j or x depending on version for snapping, insert or d for pivot point editing, qwer for main tools. Then most of the rest is just clicking because reasons. Or I didn't learn the shortcuts yet.

12 or more controls depending on how many times you want to count context menu.

EDIT

would do I use shortuts more obvious? Sometimes yes. But over time I get used to having the most commonly used tools next to each other.

for instance in Maya you switch between select Q translate W rotate E and scale R a lot, having them close really helps. However in contrast with blender it revolves a lot around the mouse movements than clicking on a GUI handle.

I snap to sides with the numberpad and then scale rotate and translate are kinda close but mostly set for what their first initial is. Same for x y and z axis. Shift and axis allows movement in the 2 axis you didn't select and that is fairly easy. However because blender is mouse based and it is tough to type in exact values, maya is often more beneficial to some people.

Ctrl x

ctrl v

E

q

scrl lck

end

home

f3

image.png

image.pngimage.png

┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴ 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

If the shortcut is labelled in the mouse over tool-tip of an icon, or next to the item in the menu I use the shortcut. If I use the shortcut 2-3 times, then I remember it.

If the program hides the shortcuts and only displays them in documentation deep within the program notes, then I don't find them very user friendly and tend to move on to more user friendly alternatives if available.

Most people won't be able to list or count all the shortcuts that they use, partly because it would take too long to type, but mostly because their use is so natural that it isn't something that is consciously done.

28 minutes ago, Mina Darsh said:

I work a lot in Photoshop and sometimes in Illustrator, with Photoshop I use the shortcut keys for most of the tools, like Brush (B), Pen Tool (P), Lasso Tools(L), and many more. I also do use the Shift modifier to swap between Tools within a category. Other often used shortcuts are Image resize, Canvas Size, Repeat Effect and Save for Web. (And ofcourse the more basic ones like Opening, Saving, Saving As, Copy, Cut and Paste.)

I actually already changed that the Convert Point Tool is also added to the Shift - P rotation, though lately that became obselete as I noticed Alt can be added as a modifier to Convert Anchor points.

It seems like P and L would be far away from your left hand when it's on a keyboard. I guess I'm thinking your hand would be at WASD, but I guess not everybody games a ton :D 

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

You have two hands for a reason, m8. 

But if you're using photoshop, wouldn't your hand be on the mouse? I never take my hands off the mouse unless I'm literally typing. Do people really take their hand off the mouse just to press one key and then go back?

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

As many as needed or wanted.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

12 hours ago, Trav_X said:

But if you're using photoshop, wouldn't your hand be on the mouse? I never take my hands off the mouse unless I'm literally typing. Do people really take their hand off the mouse just to press one key and then go back?

Yes, I take my hand off the mouse as I don't need it...

It goes on the keyboard, and my left will control a Pen Tablet, I draw in Photoshop. So a mouse is a recipe for disaster then. :P

In Gimp I use quite a few shortcuts.

Undo, Redo, plus and minus (to zoom in and out), X (to switch colors), I have set up C to M for other commonly used tools (brush, airbursh, pencil, etc.) and of course Ctrl+S. Occasionally I use brackets open or close to increase or decrease the size of my pencil. Likely I use more shortcuts I didn't even think of now.

Because I have been using Gimp for so long, I can do some actions seemingly with my eyes closed, where as other might prefer shortcuts for these actions. For example when I want to do something with a selection, I actually go to the Selection menu, instead of doing the relevant shortcut for it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 2/11/2017 at 5:19 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

If a program allows me to set my own shortcuts, I use them a lot. In something like C4D and Premiere Pro I use shortcuts a lot as it cuts down the time it takes to do things so much. In Photoshop I very rarely use shortcuts. 

Most common shortcuts are for MPC-HC and MusicBee (global shortcuts for controlling music)

EDIT: Pretty much the only Windows shortcuts I use are Ctrl+Shift+Esc and Win+L

Do you use every letter of the alphabet for a shortcut or like a handful? Also, why is it you don't use many shortcuts in photoshop? Is it because it takes a long time to memorize them?

On 2/11/2017 at 5:24 PM, Mina Darsh said:

I love illustrator and photoshop. Many of the shortcuts between the two are different. Did you memorize both sets of shortcuts or did you change one to match the other? 

On 2/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

I really don't use much in the way of shortcuts. Most I really use is for Microsoft Word and GIMP, and that's basically Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.

That and whatever ShareX uses for shortcuts.

Would you use more shortcuts if they were obvious? Or do you find that using the mouse is just as fast?

On 2/11/2017 at 5:33 PM, fpo said:

Blender 3d...

s scale, r rotate,

g translate, z transparency, x x axis, y y axis, z z axis, shift x y and z axis, shift y x and z axis, shift z x and y axis, numpad 1 front, numpad 3 side, numpad 7 top, 5 orthographic, and perspective, b box select, tab switch edit mode, shift a add object, w is a list of specials, alt m is merge, f is face, control j is join

that's 21...

arma3 with arma 2 controls, wsad move, double w sprint, shift walk, double shift walk mode, v vault, b binoculars, g gear, l light, n nightvision, q and e lean, f firemode, t throw, k compass, double k lock compass out, o is clock, and move head, double alt free move head, numpad 741 turn head left different degrees, 963 turn right set degrees, r reload, m map/gps, c stand, x crouch, z prone, period and comma change chat type, / text chat, \ and ' for special poses, q for aircraft throttle up, z for throttle dow, wsad for tilting aircraft, x and c for turning, f1-f12 access squad members, 1-0 special commands, backspace exit context menu, enter accept context menu.

70 keyboard shortcuts.

I know a bit of maya's controls but most of it is clicking.

tap space for viewports, hold for marking menu. shift rightclick for context sensitive menus, g for last command, j or x depending on version for snapping, insert or d for pivot point editing, qwer for main tools. Then most of the rest is just clicking because reasons. Or I didn't learn the shortcuts yet.

12 or more controls depending on how many times you want to count context menu.

EDIT

would do I use shortuts more obvious? Sometimes yes. But over time I get used to having the most commonly used tools next to each other.

for instance in Maya you switch between select Q translate W rotate E and scale R a lot, having them close really helps. However in contrast with blender it revolves a lot around the mouse movements than clicking on a GUI handle.

I snap to sides with the numberpad and then scale rotate and translate are kinda close but mostly set for what their first initial is. Same for x y and z axis. Shift and axis allows movement in the 2 axis you didn't select and that is fairly easy. However because blender is mouse based and it is tough to type in exact values, maya is often more beneficial to some people.

Wow that's quite a few! How long did it take to memorize all of those?

24 minutes ago, Cornelius Robinson said:

Would you use more shortcuts if they were obvious? Or do you find that using the mouse is just as fast?

I don't have much use for shortcuts; it's generally easier for me to know where an icon is rather than a shortcut for an action.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.