Laptop overheating. Time for a new one?

Underi

Sooo, I thought using my old laptop at school was a great idea. Well, it wasn't. It's faster than the old ass school computers, but it gets 0x124 bsod as soon as you use opera for over 5 minutes. Then it goes into bsod loop if you don't let it cool down. I've opened it a few times, it was dusty, but it isn't anymore. It was bought by my grandmother in 2009 and my grandmother has passed away a few years ago, so I'd like to keep my laptop running as long as possible. Could it be that the thermal paste has just worn out? Do I need to re-apply it, or should I just buy a new one. My budjet for a new one is ~300-500€. The annoying thing about re-applying thermal paste is that 1. I'd need to go to the "local" hardware store and it's like 50 kilometers away. I'd need to ask my parents for a ride. Also the "cooler" is just a copper block attached to the cpu going into a fan and the fan just sucks air from the bottom and blows it out from the back. Here's a pic of the inside (not taken by me sry) The PIC

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

7 minutes ago, Underi said:

Sooo, I thought using my old laptop at school was a great idea. Well, it wasn't. It's faster than the old ass school computers, but it gets 0x124 bsod as soon as you use opera for over 5 minutes. Then it goes into bsod loop if you don't let it cool down. I've opened it a few times, it was dusty, but it isn't anymore. It was bought by my grandmother in 2009 and my grandmother has passed away a few years ago, so I'd like to keep my laptop running as long as possible. Could it be that the thermal paste has just worn out? Do I need to re-apply it, or should I just buy a new one. My budjet for a new one is ~300-500€. The annoying thing about re-applying thermal paste is that 1. I'd need to go to the "local" hardware store and it's like 50 kilometers away. I'd need to ask my parents for a ride. Also the "cooler" is just a copper block attached to the cpu going into a fan and the fan just sucks air from the bottom and blows it out from the back. Here's a pic of the inside (not taken by me sry) The PIC

I would try re thermal pasting it .... Why not buy the paste oline ? 

"Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey".... Yeah

-The Doctor

3 minutes ago, WillGerm said:

I would try re thermal pasting it .... Why not buy the paste oline ? 

Wow. Stupid me :D Didn't know that they even accepted paypal now that I looked up. I could take the package on my way home from school.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

3 minutes ago, Underi said:

Wow. Stupid me :D Didn't know that they even accepted paypal now that I looked up. I could take the package on my way home from school.

TADA! :D .... Make that heatsink nice and shiny and then paste her up! 

"Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey".... Yeah

-The Doctor

5 minutes ago, WillGerm said:

TADA! :D .... Make that heatsink nice and shiny and then paste her up! 

Also adding to this, clean any dust or gunk that may be keeping the fans from cooling the laptop propperly. My dad's HP laptop used to overheat all the time and shut down until i opened it up and just used some compressed air to blow the dust off the fans and the surrounding area, as little of a step as that sounds it might be enough to fix the problem and it definitely can't hurt.