Blu Ray Rip File Size

Xyren
Go to solution Solved by JPotze,

The question is, what has priority for you? file size or quality. 10Gig for a BDrip is not a strange size. but if you only watch on a phone for example, 10Gig is way to much quality.

You could also lower file size and keep quality by ripping other language audio files out of the file. 

My current settings create files that are about 10GB for a 2hr movie at 1080p. My friend said that this is way too high, but I thought it was an ok size.. What sort of size are movies usually when they are ripped from a blu ray? I suppose another question would be what video bitrate would be best to use? It's currently set to 10,000kbps, and I don't see anything wrong with the quality. Should I lower the bitrate to reduce the file size or leave it as it is?

20 minutes ago, General Sock said:

My current settings create files that are about 10GB for a 2hr movie at 1080p. My friend said that this is way too high, but I thought it was an ok size.. What sort of size are movies usually when they are ripped from a blu ray? I suppose another question would be what video bitrate would be best to use? It's currently set to 10,000kbps, and I don't see anything wrong with the quality. Should I lower the bitrate to reduce the file size or leave it as it is?

Uhm if i use make mkv my files size coming from bluray is around 50 GB so it's normal for this high quality.

The question is, what has priority for you? file size or quality. 10Gig for a BDrip is not a strange size. but if you only watch on a phone for example, 10Gig is way to much quality.

You could also lower file size and keep quality by ripping other language audio files out of the file. 

How do you rip a blu ray?

There is software out there that can do it. One of the more popular ones is MakeMKV but you have to pay for it to rip blu rays.

I recommend against using target bitrate. It is often better (in terms of size:quality) to use RF. Preferably with a rather slow preset as well (I am assuming you're using x264 for encoding). You could probably drop down to about 7GB without any major quality difference, and even below that would be hard to tell without side-by-side comparisons. It depends heavily on the movie though (which is why RF is recommended).

41 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I recommend against using target bitrate. It is often better (in terms of size:quality) to use RF. Preferably with a rather slow preset as well (I am assuming you're using x264 for encoding). You could probably drop down to about 7GB without any major quality difference, and even below that would be hard to tell without side-by-side comparisons. It depends heavily on the movie though (which is why RF is recommended).

what is RF? 

3 minutes ago, tlink said:

what is RF? 

watch this video 

it is a way of handling constant quality Frame by frame.

1 hour ago, tlink said:

what is RF? 

Instead of telling the encoder "I want the file to be this large", you tell the encoder "I want the video to look this good".

The difference is that with RF (sometimes says CRF), the encoder will determine how high/low bit rate you need to maintain a consistent quality. The benefits are:

1) Faster to encode (since you don't need to make multiple passes like you do with constant bit rate modes).

2) Consistent image quality. If the encoder feels like the fast phased action scene needs a lot of bits to display properly, it will give it the bits it needs.

3) Less wasteful use of bits. With constant bit rate, a scene with nothing but darkness takes up just as much space as a scene that's the same length, but contains a ton of fast moving objects, cuts and so on. The black scene might only need 1/100 of the bit rate the action scene needs to look good. CRF will detect that and allocate the bit rate accordingly. Constant bit rate will just give each scene equal amount of bits.

The drawback is that you don't really know how large the files might be, but I don't think that's an issue unless you're aiming to upload a file to some site which has strict size limits.

Lower CRF = higher quality.

4 hours ago, General Sock said:

If you've the HDD space to spare, leave as is. 

For archiving, I would shy away from using constant bit rate for encoding. The best use for constant bit rate is to encode for mobile devices and undersized flash drives where knowing the final file size is important. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

42 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Instead of telling the encoder "I want the file to be this large", you tell the encoder "I want the video to look this good".

The difference is that with RF (sometimes says CRF), the encoder will determine how high/low bit rate you need to maintain a consistent quality. The benefits are:

1) Faster to encode (since you don't need to make multiple passes like you do with constant bit rate modes).

2) Consistent image quality. If the encoder feels like the fast phased action scene needs a lot of bits to display properly, it will give it the bits it needs.

3) Less wasteful use of bits. With constant bit rate, a scene with nothing but darkness takes up just as much space as a scene that's the same length, but contains a ton of fast moving objects, cuts and so on. The black scene might only need 1/100 of the bit rate the action scene needs to look good. CRF will detect that and allocate the bit rate accordingly. Constant bit rate will just give each scene equal amount of bits.

The drawback is that you don't really know how large the files might be, but I don't think that's an issue unless you're aiming to upload a file to some site which has strict size limits.

Lower CRF = higher quality.

thanks for the info, generally when looking trough torrents my backups i just choose the largest file that i can download at 10mb per second, because 1080p and x264 etc don't really give me an indication of the actual quality. ill see if i can find it mentioned anywhere the next time im looking for something.