Can a shaky desk be bad for your pc?

Jeraico

I have my pc on top of my desk (obviously I want to show it off because it has the side panel window and rgb and other asthetics), but my desk is also very wobbly, shifting side to side very easily. Obviously you don't want to go shaking your pc, and I know it probably isn't really an issue, but I'm curious: can it damage your pc if your desk shakes? It might seem a bit ridiculous but I'm really protective of it

4 minutes ago, Jeraico said:

I have my pc on top of my desk (obviously I want to show it off because it has the side panel window and rgb and other asthetics), but my desk is also very wobbly, shifting side to side very easily. Obviously you don't want to go shaking your pc, and I know it probably isn't really an issue, but I'm curious: can it damage your pc if your desk shakes? It might seem a bit ridiculous but I'm really protective of it

you should be fine but if you have a very heavy GPU in ur slot then there is a chance it could break it

My Rigs

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus Z170-A 
                                                                                                        Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GeForce GTX 1070 Video Card (purchasing soon might be getting G1 or gaming x)

NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

7 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Biggest concern would be an HDD, vibration is bad for them.

mhmm never thought about that how come?

My Rigs

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus Z170-A 
                                                                                                        Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

GeForce GTX 1070 Video Card (purchasing soon might be getting G1 or gaming x)

NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

1 minute ago, HeavyFtw said:

You're having what's basically a metal scalpel nanometers away from a metal disk spinning at 120 times a second.

You really don't want the two to make contact.

5 minutes ago, biker said:

Why dont you fix the shaky desk?

as with mine, sometimes you just cant, and I really love my desk, so I got a nightstand like thing to put it one beside my desk that also functions as some extra storage space.

What do you mean sometimes you just cant

You can fix anything and wood is the easiest of all to fix.

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Biggest concern would be an HDD, vibration is bad for them.

I always laughed at this being in the Navy.  We had thousands of computers on a ship and never had a head crash, not one.  30 degree rolls, rough sea state.  Not once in the "Secure for Sea" days did we ever shut down a PC to prevent a HDD failure.  Not even in the full headed to full reverse test runs, directly above the screw where it shook like till it felt like your teeth were going to fall out.

Only issue I could see you having with a shaky desk is the system falling to the floor.

4 hours ago, Evanair said:

I always laughed at this being in the Navy.  We had thousands of computers on a ship and never had a head crash, not one.  30 degree rolls, rough sea state.  Not once in the "Secure for Sea" days did we ever shut down a PC to prevent a HDD failure.  Not even in the full headed to full reverse test runs, directly above the screw where it shook like till it felt like your teeth were going to fall out.

Only issue I could see you having with a shaky desk is the system falling to the floor.

Military grade never fail HDD's and HDD's that are meant for home consumers are slightly different specifications. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 hours ago, Evanair said:

Y'all don't buy normal consumer hard drives. ;)

13 hours ago, HeavyFtw said:

Because you have centrifugal forces acting on the 5400 to 7200 rpm spinning platters inside the HDD whenever it is titled dramatically.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580