Should I buy this car?

TubsAlwaysWins

Alright so ive been offered a 2002 Hyundai Elentra for $500. It has 170,000 miles on it. I would be using it for the next year and a half just to get around my town since it has better milage than the other car I will be driving (1975 Toyota FJ-40).

You think I should get it

Breaking things 1 day at a time

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

you're driving an fj40? i like that car in FH3 lol 

Yeah its great except for 8mpg and a top speed of 60mph

9 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Alright so ive been offered a 2002 Hyundai Elentra for $500. It has 170,000 miles on it. I would be using it for the next year and a half just to get around my town since it has better milage than the other car I will be driving (1975 Toyota FJ-40).

You think I should get it

That's not really enough information to make a purchase decision.

How's the body? How's the rust (if any)? Have you had a mechanic inspect the car? What items need to be replaced right now? What items will need to be replaced within 6-months? Will the car pass a safety inspection?

Does it include Winter Tires? Do you live in a climate that snows regularly during the winter, as such, making Winter Tires a necessity? If yes to both, do they come on separate rims?

$500 is pretty cheap, so it's probably not a bad deal. But on the other hand, $500 is pretty cheap, so it's probably a pile of crap that needs a lot of work.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

That's not really enough information to make a purchase decision.

How's the body? How's the rust (if any)? Have you had a mechanic inspect the car? What items need to be replaced right now? What items will need to be replaced within 6-months? Will the car pass a safety inspection?

Does it include Winter Tires? Do you live in a climate that snows regularly during the winter, as such, making Winter Tires a necessity? If yes to both, do they come on separate rims?

$500 is pretty cheap, so it's probably not a bad deal. But on the other hand, $500 is pretty cheap, so it's probably a pile of crap that needs a lot of work.

Idk. I need to find that out

For 500 i don't see too much of a problem with it. If it runs and drives well. (and you have $500 to just throw away)

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

$500 is super cheap, but that Hyundai is a pretty nasty car, certainly not for anyone interested in driving.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 minute ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Idk. I need to find that out

I'd check into all of those things. If the car runs well, and doesn't need any major maintenance/repairs immediately, then it'll probably last you the 1.5 years you say you need it for.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

$500 is super cheap, but that Hyundai is a pretty nasty car, certainly not for anyone interested in driving.

IDK tho. Better milage than the FJ-40 and ill only have it for like a year

Well that's certainly true, and as I said, that's super cheap so you may as well. If it's just for a year, who cares about winter tyres or safety checks? :P So long as it runs, you're good.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I'd check into all of those things. If the car runs well, and doesn't need any major maintenance/repairs immediately, then it'll probably last you the 1.5 years you say you need it for.

Alright then. Thanks

Try talking them down to $400 and lunch or something. Use the other $100 to (if mechanically inclined) Perform a full DIY service, or get it inspected if you're not.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Well that's certainly true, and as I said, that's super cheap so you may as well. If it's just for a year, who cares about winter tyres or safety checks? :P So long as it runs, you're good.

I like your style.

I also don't have emmisions so I can run it straight pipe if i want

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Try talking them down to $400 and lunch or something. Use the other $100 to (if mechanically inclined) Perform a full DIY service, or get it inspected if you're not.

IDK I might

IDK I might

Still a pretty good deal.

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

I like your style.

I'm into cars as much (probably more than PC's), so having a car that lasts a year is nothing new. Some new fluids through it, and so long as nothing is actually properly broken (worn is fine, a blown ring or 4 is fine, a blown head gasket is no), it'll limp along well after it should really be retired :P 

1 minute ago, biker said:

Some of my best vehicles were $500, 1988 Jeep Cherokee and a 1988 Dodge Ram W150 Van that I slept in.

Oh dude I used to have a '93 Limited Cherokee and that thing is still driving around today, they're basically tanks.

I'm into cars as much (probably more than PC's), so having a car that lasts a year is nothing new. Some new fluids through it, and so long as nothing is actually properly broken (worn is fine, a blown ring or 4 is fine, a blown head gasket is no), it'll limp along well after it should really be retired :P 

Ok thanks

Oh dude I used to have a '93 Limited Cherokee and that thing is still driving around today, they're basically tanks.

Plus there are always a ton of them in the junk yard so you get real cheap parts.

Hyundai are excellent vehicles. But at 175K it's ready for car heaven.

1 minute ago, biker said:

Plus there are always a ton of them in the junk yard so you get real cheap parts.

Not so much in NZ sadly, we mainly have Jap imports (plus late 90's cars are still very common, with most of our country's cars being 2000-2008).

But it never got stuck, never really broke and took a beating. Plus, being the Limited model, it had brown window tint, fake wood and beige leather :P and the "sport" steering wheel, where they removed the airbag for some reason...

1 minute ago, 3EP said:

Hyundai are excellent vehicles. But at 175K it's ready for car heaven.

Not at all, 300-400K is totally feasible for a Hyundai of that era. Although you probably mean miles... But it doesn't matter, cars will run forever if they're maintained.