It could be possible ryzen still can feature a 12 threaded processor

With ryzen growing closer and closer, leaks become greater and greater. 

Lastest leaks like this one 

https://www.techpowerup.com/230227/amd-zen-cpu-complexes-indivisible-dont-expect-6-core-ryzen-report

suggest that ryzen will more then likely come in 8c/16t, 8c/8t and 4c/8t models. 

This i find just very bizzare as it makes the 4/8 and 8c models basically the same, though 8 cores are faster than a quad core with 4 smt threads. But still doesn't make too much sense with there possibly being a large price delta between the chips. 

Reading into ryzen more, it seems like the chips are made of two 4c modules, at least for the high end chip, obviously the 4 core model only being 1 module. This is where my theory comes in. 

IMG_2669.JPG

It is is possible we could see a 8c/12t processor. Now this does sound really odd, but it is possible. Since ryzen features two 4 core modules, one module could be fully featured with SMT to form a 8c/12t model which would compete with the 6800k which would make a lot more sense then a flat 8 core model. 

Now i fully understand that ALL OF THIS should be taken with a grain of salt and may or may not be true but it was just a thought that i had, one for all of us to ponder over in the commets, none of this is conformed so dont take this like i am telling the truth. But leave a comment below telling me what you think

Edited by Matthewv1998
Added information

if you really want ryzen to be successful like the rest of us, please don't listen to rumors and wait for the launch. half of these website have no concrete proof they just want to make money off of people clicking these. 

I thought amd was moving away from the "lots of cores" chips that never caught on in the past? Perhaps not?

Isn't the definition of insanity "Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results?"

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

if you really want ryzen to be successful like the rest of us, please don't listen to rumors and wait for the launch. half of these website have no concrete proof they just want to make money off of people clicking these. 

finally i'm not the only one preaching this opinion.

to prove this statement: there could be a volkswagen that is actually not gassing the entire planet ;)

7 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I thought amd was moving away from the "lots of cores" chips that never caught on in the past? Perhaps not?

Isn't the definition of insanity "Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results?"

The difference is that with bulldozer , amd went the with a high core count but very poor IPC , thus poor single core performance.

Ryzen should have IPC on par with broadwell E . For one , that means they won't have to ramp the clocks up so high to be competitive .

In fact , intel currently has a 10 core consumer chip , but it performs well.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

the FX 8series are already comprised of two 4core chips...

Photography / Finance / Gaming

8 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I'm pretty sure the AMD fanboys have been saying this for a decade. ;)

Hopefully we'll stop saying that this feb/march

Rumour: Ryzen will come with an 8C8T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen will come with a 6C12T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen will come with a 6C6T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen will come with a 4C4T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen won't come with an 8C8T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen won't come with a 6C6T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen won't come with a 6C12T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen may come with a 6C12T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen may come with a 8C12T SKU.

What next? Rumour: Ryzen will come with a 7C14T SKU, because why not.

Can't we just wait for official information from AMD?

And 8C8T and 8C12T CPUs makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, mok said:

the FX 8series are already comprised of two 4core chips...

or rather, 4 two-core modules, and the 4core chips are 2 two-core modules.

if you wanna look at multiple chips being stapled together, look at socket G34 :P

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Rumour: Ryzen will come with an 8C8T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen will come with a 6C6T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen will come with a 4C4T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen won't come with an 8C8T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen won't come with a 6C6T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen may come with a 6C12T SKU.

Rumour: Ryzen may come with a 8C12T SKU.

What next? Rumour: Ryzen will come with a 7C14T SKU, because why not.

Can't we just wait for official information from AMD?

And 8C8T and 8C12T CPUs makes no sense.

rumour: amd figured out how to use floats in core count: the 3.14 core zen sku xD

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

rumour: amd figured out how to use floats in core count: the 3.14 core zen sku xD

rumour: amd to allow core-unlocking from 3.14 to 3.36 cores

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, mok said:

rumour: amd to allow core-unlocking from 3.14 to 3.36 cores

pff, peasant, we can unlock to the zen-tau sku with 6.28 cores.

21 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

The difference is that with bulldozer , amd went the with a high core count but very poor IPC , thus poor single core performance.

Ryzen should have IPC on par with broadwell E . For one , that means they won't have to ramp the clocks up so high to be competitive .

In fact , intel currently has a 10 core consumer chip , but it performs well.

in scenarios where you can use all 10 of those cores, offcourse.

i dont need to explain you that buying a 10-core is a waste of dough if your software of choice can only use 4 cores.

26 minutes ago, manikyath said:

in scenarios where you can use all 10 of those cores, offcourse.

i dont need to explain you that buying a 10-core is a waste of dough if your software of choice can only use 4 cores.

Of course.  My point was that even in single thread apps,  it performs relatively well ( not talking about the value of a 10c 1700$ cpu for single core here). 

Case and point,  intel didn't give up per core performance in an effort to chase extra cores. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Of course.  My point was that even in single thread apps,  it performs relatively well ( not talking about the value of a 10c 1700$ cpu for single core here). 

Case and point,  intel didn't give up per core performance in an effort to chase extra cores. 

well, they did have to lower clock speed because they like thermals to be manageable.

the issue with FX was that it essentially was a very scalable high-core-count architecture for numbercrunching in 2012 which they then milked on the desktop side until 2016.

Just now, manikyath said:

well, they did have to lower clock speed because they like thermals to be manageable.

the issue with FX was that it essentially was a very scalable high-core-count architecture for numbercrunching in 2012 which they then milked on the desktop side until 2016.

I'm not going to touch the issues related to am3+ here.  Just saying that even with the lower clocks ( which can be adjusted) ,  there is no where near the ipc delta between brodwell and skylake compared to bulldozer and sandy bridge. 

1 hour ago, corrado33 said:

I'm pretty sure the AMD fanboys have been saying this for a decade. ;)

Frenzied Intel FanBloke detected.

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

The cores are modules though so it is possible, but we wil still all have to wait 

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

All they need is -1/12 cores, then they can compute infinity.

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

All they need is -1/12 cores, then they can compute infinity.

i'm probably one of the few people on this forum that got that reference :P