DIY Couch Gaming Platform

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Seems like you'd knock everything over or have to totally reset anytime you need to get up. Not a huge deal if you're hunkering down for a 10-hr gaming day, but certainly not ideal for casual/intermittent use.

Of course you could make a similar argument with ours, but I would say that ours is slightly more secured for movement :P

Either way, cool idea!

Secured for movement?  :P  The keyboard and mouse pad have rubber backing/feet on the bottom of them.  Paired with sitting on an upholstered fabric, they aren't going anywhere. The thing that will go somewhere is the mouse.  Neither addresses that issue... haha.  I suppose I could've inset a magnet to the side of the mouse pad for storage, but it's probably not worth the trouble.  My microphone can also tip if you are clumsy. :) haha

A question about yours though.. why the leg pillow on the underside?  Does it not rest high enough to be off your legs?  
I would think that would make things quite wobbly.. but idk.

Anywho, nice to see this problem get some attention.  Maybe companies will be more interested in providing a good product in the future.  

Thanks for covering the HTPC users needs! :D 

I really want one, but I can't even watch a 480p YouTube video on my pc, lol

Overall Really great video. The thumbnail isn't obnoxious, and the title isn't even click-bait. But, the intro did touch on the bait a little with the line about the big gaming industry, but it seemed to be more of a joke. If it means anything I give this 4/5 

I wish I had any handy work skills to be able to cut the wood straight/neat. But I guess I'll stick with my own couch wood ;) 

The knee bridge looks too thin and it's made of plywood.

It looks like it might snap in half if you're not careful.

I wanted to dislike it, but it seems like a better option vs. the Razer Turret.  At least the plywood won't require Synapses 2.0, and it'll last more than a year. 

The only thing I don't get here is... Why not just get a gamepad? I play first person shooters on the desk but third person games I just play on the couch+tv using a game pad and that's good enough?

Seems just so much trouble and work for so little result...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

would be nice to sink the cup holder and snack tray

and flush mount the usb hub so ports stick level to the top edge

add a handle and usb cord holder (rope cleat) for easy storage and cable management

update, new revised concept. wood and casters purchased today. might need some additional bracing, will see once I build it.

concept desk revised view 1.jpg

concept desk revised view 2.jpg

Use Mica Not Paint, you'll have an easier time matching your Setup

@LinusTech

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

So project roll over desk is well under way, i've got to cut the side panels which will square it up nice, but the cut will allow it to slide around the couch as shown in the pictures. total cost around 70 bucks US (including the panels not yet installed).

20170201_223725.jpg

20170201_223734.jpg

20170201_223754.jpg

• 5 months later...

Does USB 2.0 have eneugh bandwith for all of this or should I go for USB 3.0/3.1?