How does Microsoft plan to pull of project scorpio @ less than $600?

Go to solution Solved by Squirrel724,

It's amazing the kind of savings you can get when you are manufacturing them thousands at a time with components bought at bulk wholesale prices. Consoles have also traditionally cost more to produce than they are sold for (the exceptions being the PS4 and Xbox One which were making a profit on day 1) with software sales making up for the loss on each machine.

Simple. The console like the PS4 Pro is not actually capable of delivering 4K.. Oops!

They use up scaling tricks to acheive this.

10 hours ago, kirashi said:

Same here. I miss the days of playing OK-looking games at 1680x1050 (or 1080p if you want to bump it a bit) but getting buttery smooth 90-120 FPS. Apparently even PC gamers are OK with a mediocre 50-70 FPS at 4K resolution these days... at least until we get something that can better handle 4K than a GTX 1080.

I wish I knew the resolution I used to play on my first desktop but my dad stole it to use at work (Not really stole, I'm just saying he did.) because I was perfectly fine with whatever that was.

On 1/30/2017 at 2:06 AM, malon said:

My only question is,  can it do 4k 60 fps?, or atleast 1080p 60fps in every game because i am tired of 30fps but a bumped up resolution whenever a new console gets released.

Truly, only time will tell. My opinion? It will probably be 1080p 60fps (mid settings at best), and 4K at 30fps (mid settings at best, once again). The consistent-ness of those frame-rates, however, will probably vary game to game. Ex. GTAV on the original Xbox One ran anywhere from like 25fps to 40fps, but would have random drops top like 15. So, we shall see, for all we know as of now it could be 4K 45fps at ultra, or it could be 4K 30fps at ultra low. Like I said, only time will tell. 

There are already deals popping up for 480s about $150. With Microsoft's negotiating power I'm sure it's possible to get a CPU and mainboard for that price

On 1/30/2017 at 7:02 AM, GoodBytes said:

Simple. The console like the PS4 Pro is not actually capable of delivering 4K.. Oops!

They use up scaling tricks to acheive this.

Thats the PS4 Pro, not Xbox Scorpio. Microsoft has explicitly said that it renders at native 4K. The Xbox One S was the one that upscaled to 4k. (But if Scorpio turns out to just upscale from 1080p Microsoft is going to lose a fortune, and they know it, so Scorpio better render in native 4K)

1 hour ago, The Legend 27 said:

Thats the PS4 Pro, not Xbox Scorpio. Microsoft has explicitly said that it renders at native 4K. The Xbox One S was the one that upscaled to 4k. (But if Scorpio turns out to just upscale from 1080p Microsoft is going to lose a fortune, and they know it, so Scorpio better render in native 4K)

Based on leaked dev paper from Microsoft, it isn't true 4K. They say that it can do 4K, but highly recommends to do lower resolutions for performance, and let the console upscale to 4K.

On 1/29/2017 at 7:44 PM, Megah3rtz said:

wheres the love for the sweet sweet 480p144

I'm more for 144P 240 FPS myself

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 1/29/2017 at 9:12 PM, The Legend 27 said:

What im wondering is how will they be able to put those kind've specs into a machine that costs less than $600? I mean, thats like in the GTX 1070 range of specs, plus an 8 core CPU?

It's a dogshit Jaguar CPU, the same crap in the PS4, PS4 Pro, XBox One, and XBox One S. It's nowhere close to as good as even the $65 Pentium G4560.

On 1/31/2017 at 7:01 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

The BOM for the original Playstation 4 came close to $400. However that excluded manufacturing, shipping, and other overhead charges. Given how much technology has gone the past three-four years, I would imagine its BOM now would be down to at least 60% easily.

Nah the PS4 made an estimated $18 profit per console at launch when you factor all that stuff in. There was no way Sony was going to take a loss on their consoles after the debacle of the PS3.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Nah the PS4 made an estimated $18 profit per console at launch when you factor all that stuff in. There was no way Sony was going to take a loss on their consoles after the debacle of the PS3.

After digging around again for the total cost, it was $382, but that was just for the BOM plus manufacturing only: http://news.ihsmarkit.com/press-release/design-supply-chain-media/sony-nears-breakeven-point-playstation-4-hardware-costs. Chances are they were still breaking even, if not taking a small loss per unit.

But that's a moot point, they turned a profit around within months after launch.

I think Scorpio is going to be an unbelievable flop, especially at $600. It's still going to be massively bottlenecked by the crap Jaguar cpu, so 60 fps gaming is off the table in AAA single player games. There are real diminishing returns between PS4 Pro rendering at 1800p and XBox Scorpio at a native 4k (in easy to run AAA games) or PS4 Pro rendering at 1440p and XBox Scorpio rendering at 1800p (in the harder to run AAA games). Besides, hardware power doesn't sell consoles. It didn't sell the Game Gear. It didn't sell the Sega Saturn. It didn't sell the PS3 early on. Game lineup is what matters now and what always has, and Sony has them beat since the only big XBox exclusive series are Gears of War, Forza, Dead Rising, and Halo. Playstation has Uncharted, The Last of Us, Bloodborne (no way that isn't getting a sequel), God of War, Horizon, Nioh (no way that won't get a sequel also), Infamous, Gran Turismo, and surely some other franchises I'm forgetting right off hand. And people who actually care about hardware build their own PC. For $600 you can build a pretty killer PC today with an i5 and an RX 480 (which has 5.8 TFLOPS floating point performance vs the 6.2 TFLOPS in the entire XBox Scorpio). Imagine what that money will do around November when PC components hit their lowest prices as XBox Scorpio is releasing. Finally, the American economy is too fucked to support a $600 console. Sony couldn't even sell their PS3 at that price (well really closer to $700 in today's dollars) and that was before the derivatives crisis that pushed us into the great recession that we never have (and maybe never will) recovered from.

22 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I think Scorpio is going to be an unbelievable flop, especially at $600. It's still going to be massively bottlenecked by the crap Jaguar cpu, so 60 fps gaming is off the table in AAA single player games. There are real diminishing returns between PS4 Pro rendering at 1800p and XBox Scorpio at a native 4k (in easy to run AAA games) or PS4 Pro rendering at 1440p and XBox Scorpio rendering at 1800p (in the harder to run AAA games). Besides, hardware power doesn't sell consoles. It didn't sell the Game Gear. It didn't sell the Sega Saturn. It didn't sell the PS3 early on. Game lineup is what matters now and what always has, and Sony has them beat since the only big XBox exclusive series are Gears of War, Forza, Dead Rising, and Halo. Playstation has Uncharted, The Last of Us, Bloodborne (no way that isn't getting a sequel), God of War, Horizon, Nioh (no way that won't get a sequel also), Infamous, Gran Turismo, and surely some other franchises I'm forgetting right off hand. And people who actually care about hardware build their own PC. For $600 you can build a pretty killer PC today with an i5 and an RX 480 (which has 5.8 TFLOPS floating point performance vs the 6.2 TFLOPS in the entire XBox Scorpio). Imagine what that money will do around November when PC components hit their lowest prices as XBox Scorpio is releasing. Finally, the American economy is too fucked to support a $600 console. Sony couldn't even sell their PS3 at that price (well really closer to $700 in today's dollars) and that was before the derivatives crisis that pushed us into the great recession that we never have (and maybe never will) recovered from.

Have they actually said $600?