How does Microsoft plan to pull of project scorpio @ less than $600?

Go to solution Solved by Squirrel724,

It's amazing the kind of savings you can get when you are manufacturing them thousands at a time with components bought at bulk wholesale prices. Consoles have also traditionally cost more to produce than they are sold for (the exceptions being the PS4 and Xbox One which were making a profit on day 1) with software sales making up for the loss on each machine.

Microsoft announced that project scorpio would be playing games at native 4K, and that it would cost under $600 USD, and totally believable considering how wonderful optimization is on consoles. However, then they also said this: (attached picture of Xbox website). What im wondering is how will they be able to put those kind've specs into a machine that costs less than $600? I mean, thats like in the GTX 1070 range of specs, plus an 8 core CPU? That alone is like 450 dollars at least! Plus the motherboard, RAM, PSU, case, other random included things, and Microsoft marking up the price so they make a profit! What do all ya'll think about this? Personally, I smell some bullshite-ery.

Screenshot (12).png

How, Volume discount and one oem(instead of the 10 in your pc that all want their own cut.

alsolower profit margins as you keep getting money from games and xbox live.

They would sell it less than $600 by FORCING PEOPLE TO BUY XBOX LIVE GOLD SUBSCRIPTIONS...

DUE TO MANY REQUESTS I HAVE LEFT THIS FORUM FOREVER.

It's amazing the kind of savings you can get when you are manufacturing them thousands at a time with components bought at bulk wholesale prices. Consoles have also traditionally cost more to produce than they are sold for (the exceptions being the PS4 and Xbox One which were making a profit on day 1) with software sales making up for the loss on each machine.

10 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

probably some kind up up scaling from 1080p.

Never take those type of advertisement for what they are, its almost always exaggerated. 

Nope, its confirmed Scorpio is a true 4K machine, most likely it'll be at 30 FPS but it will be native unlike the PS4 Pro which does upscale.

Am I the only one content with 1080p gaming?

6 TFLOPs isn't exactly impressive, especially since the RX480 hits 5.8 TFLOPs (single precision) at its boost clock of 1266MHz. TFLOPs also doesn't have a direct connection to how certain workloads perform, driver and OS overhead plays a role, and the optimizations certain architectures have (GCN) can bring down performance if there isn't any optimization for it (especially true in many games).

The RX 480 might pull 5.8 FTLOPs, and the GTX 1060 manages a meager 4.4 TFLOPs, but they trade blows in outside of DX12/Vulkan gaming.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

then when you get the console code name stuck in your head, like i'm still calling the switch the nx

linus sex tips

3 minutes ago, wii8cookies said:

then when you get the console code name stuck in your head, like i'm still calling the switch the nx

NX sounded cooler. Switch just... makes me want to switch it off...

there's actually two very big parts of the console market that go largely unknown.

the first is that they pressure hardware manufacturers to go as low on price as they can, to the point that AMD was actually making a loss on the chips they made for Xbones and PS4.

the second is they may sell the console itself at a small loss, and regain that cost off of online subscription fees, game prices, and accessories.

then we also have offcourse where nintendo shines, and that's making the games form-fit for the platform. in theory my GT640 could play games at 4K, they'd have to be super skinned down low graphic intensity games, but it could run those at 4K. the only reason why we're stuck with 792p is because the game devs just couldnt cut enough corners to produce the experiene the console *could* be capable of.

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

NX sounded cooler. Switch just... makes me want to switch it off...

switch.. makes me want to switch to PC :D

no @fpo, you not!!! I'm very K with playing  games at 1080p, matter fact i think there are some great games out there that looks even better on that resolution. Well, as long we have a pretty good framerate. that is 60fps.

tumblr_nqc18kgbHz1u64dyao1_400.gif

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'd rather have a buttery smooth 720p60 than a stuttery bleh upscaled 2160p30.

wheres the love for the sweet sweet 480p144

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

The PS4 Pro runs upscaled and I have to say is fairly impressive in hand, Scorpio is already said to be true 4K NOT upscaled.

28 minutes ago, The Legend 27 said:

What im wondering is how will they be able to put those kind've specs into a machine that costs less than $600? I mean, thats like in the GTX 1070 range of specs, plus an 8 core CPU? That alone is like 450 dollars at least! Plus the motherboard, RAM, PSU, case, other random included things, and Microsoft marking up the price so they make a profit! What do all ya'll think about this?

Because console construction is much much cheaper than PC construction.

First, a console is mostly all made by ONE company.  Sure the optical drive and HDD might be manufactured by different suppliers, but otherwise it's basically all one assembly line in a Foxconn factory and this single, high volume production, assembly line is producing for one customer; Microsoft.  On the other hand, every single component in a PC is made from much smaller runs.  Every single variant of the 1070 has a unique design, PCB, packaging and everything else, with each produced for all the different companies who sell those GPUs.  And all those GPU companies have their own markup, not to mention nVidia's markup for the actual chip.  This then applies for the every other component.

In short, nVidia has it's markup, Intel has it's markup, EVGA or whoever has their markup fro their GPU, Corsair has their markup on on the PSU, Cooler Master has their own markup on the case, Asus is marking up the motherboard (Which has components they had to buy from Intel) and so on.

The smaller the run, the more expensive it is to produce.  When you want to build millions of identical game consoles, you have a lot of cost efficiency there that PCs can't compete with because PC components are have much shorter production runs and many, many, many more SKUs.

14 minutes ago, Mastermind11110 said:

no @fpo, you not!!! I'm very K with playing  games at 1080p, matter fact i think there are some great games out there that looks even better on that resolution. Well, as long we have a pretty good framerate. that is 60fps.

tumblr_nqc18kgbHz1u64dyao1_400.gif

Wot

32 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

Nope, its confirmed Scorpio is a true 4K machine, most likely it'll be at 30 FPS but it will be native unlike the PS4 Pro which does upscale.

I know that's what Microsoft says.. but, yeah, of course they do. :P That's not "confirmation" of what it definitely can do, that's the people trying to sell it making a claim. It will be confirmed once the thing is out and it can be verified independently whether or not its capabilities match said claims.

4 minutes ago, typographie said:

I know that's what Microsoft says.. but, yeah, of course they do. :P That's not "confirmation" of what it definitely can do, that's the people trying to sell it making a claim. It will be confirmed once the thing is out and it can be verified independently whether or not its capabilities match said claims.

Its not a claim... its confirmed by test model leaks and prototype testers, Microsoft themselves have said it and so has every other place. If Scorpio is not a 4K console then they lied from the start and it won't sell. Sony never claimed the PS4 Pro was a 4K console, in fact in their marketing it clearly states "dynamic 4K gaming" meaning upscaled or checkerboard. Scorpio is marketed as a premium 4K version of the Xbox One sold alongside it as a premium grade product.

18 minutes ago, fpo said:

Wot

wot ? I'm k with playing games on that resolution!.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Am I the only one content with 1080p gaming?

50 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Same here. I miss the days of playing OK-looking games at 1680x1050 (or 1080p if you want to bump it a bit) but getting buttery smooth 90-120 FPS. Apparently even PC gamers are OK with a mediocre 50-70 FPS at 4K resolution these days... at least until we get something that can better handle 4K than a GTX 1080.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 hours ago, The Legend 27 said:

Microsoft announced that project scorpio would be playing games at native 4K

It most likely won't be high quality 4K. There is more to graphics than just the resolution.

However, then they also said this: (attached picture of Xbox website).

FLOPs is not a good measurements of performance. It is one particular type of workload. Memory bandwidth can also be misleading, since the Xbone has a small cache (32MB in the Xbone) which is much faster than the regular system memory.

I mean, thats like in the GTX 1070 range of specs

We don't know if it is. It's kind of like saying a Golf is in the Bugatti Veyron range of specs because both have 4 wheels.

plus an 8 core CPU

A really, really cheat and shitty 8 core CPU.

They are about as powerful as the cores you will find in modern phones, and those chips costs like 40 dollars including the GPU, LTE radio, image processor and a host of other components.

Microsoft marking up the price so they make a profit!

They buy in bulk so they get a heavy discount. Not to mention that the console has been designed to be cheap to make.

We don't know if they make a profit either. They said that they do with the regular Xbone, but they might be willing to sell at cost in order to gain marketshare, and then make up their losses in game, peripheral and other addons sales (whenever you buy something Xbox related, Microsoft gets a cut).

My only question is,  can it do 4k 60 fps?, or atleast 1080p 60fps in every game because i am tired of 30fps but a bumped up resolution whenever a new console gets released.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105