DRD Aptus takedown - folding stock quick change barrel ar15

HughMungusCynicalAnarch

quick Chang barrel system and a folding stock.

would like to see how the bolt looks and where the recoil spring is.

wonder why Eugene stoner didn't design the original ar15/m16 this way.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

is it not?

Pretty sure it's gun news that a gun nut is trying to pass off as tech news.

I mean, really, it's just some gun.  A gun that pairs with your smart watch, now that's tech news.  But this isn't tech news.

-Thread moved to off topic due to not complying with the guidelines (not having quotes from video and such), and not exactly being tech (in this context) news in the first place.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

-Thread moved to off topic due to not complying with the guidelines (not having quotes from video and such), and not exactly being tech (in this context) news in the first place.

Why doesn't other moderators explain why they move threads away?

$10 says this is now the thread where HughMungusCynicalAnarch rages out about how gun news is not considered tech news geeks!  $5 bonus if he takes the 'True Geeks would think it's tech news' angle!

The quick change barrel on an AR is a neat party trick but that's about it. The platform was never made to sustain a volume of fire such that you would need to change the barrels out in the field; that's what belt feds are for. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The quick change barrel on an AR is a neat party trick but that's about it. The platform was never made to sustain a volume of fire such that you would need to change the barrels out in the field; that's what belt feds are for. 

*Light machine gun*

also means barrels can be serviced without a vice and barrel but wrench.

Yeah this is Tech.  Just not PC tech.   

And I for one find it pretty interesting. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

3 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

*Light machine gun*

also means barrels can be serviced without a vice and barrel but wrench.

But barrels are a non serviceable item... You dont really service a barrel except to replace it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

39 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

But barrels are a non serviceable item... You dont really service a barrel except to replace it. 

Replacing it is servicing it.

barrels wear out, maybe you want to use a different caliber, this isn't even more expensive than how barrels are currently installed in ars. Literally no reason to not have designed it like that but many reasons to have designed it like that.

8 minutes ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

Replacing it is servicing it.

barrels wear out, maybe you want to use a different caliber, this isn't even more expensive than how barrels are currently installed in ars. Literally no reason to not have designed it like that but many reasons to have designed it like that.

The AR platform is a victim of its own success. Why not design a firearm like that? Well look how many companies are making barrels for the standard AR, hundreds is a safe bet. How many are supporting this system? One.

Caliber conversions don't make sense from a military standpoint, different barrels, ammo, mags, support structure. Let alone the adoption by NATO services. From a private standpoint you have a more compelling argument for caliber conversions, but even there a few guns have tried that concept (bushmaster ACR, Sig MCX for example) and kind of abandoned it from lack of sales. The MCX is still sold, but the original promise of half a dozen caliber options has been reduced to .223 and 300BO. 

Perhaps I'm being too hard on it, but I think, for now at least, I'm going to stick to my standard ARs. 

13 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The AR platform is a victim of its own success. Why not design a firearm like that? Well look how many companies are making barrels for the standard AR, hundreds is a safe bet. How many are supporting this system? One.

Caliber conversions don't make sense from a military standpoint, different barrels, ammo, mags, support structure. Let alone the adoption by NATO services. From a private standpoint you have a more compelling argument for caliber conversions, but even there a few guns have tried that concept (bushmaster ACR, Sig MCX for example) and kind of abandoned it from lack of sales. The MCX is still sold, but the original promise of half a dozen caliber options has been reduced to .223 and 300BO. 

Perhaps I'm being too hard on it, but I think, for now at least, I'm going to stick to my standard ARs. 

The dolos system supports any ar15 caliber including 50 Beowulf.

so not caliber limited.

also again light machine guns and replacing barrels in a combat scenario is useful and the ar was also meant to be a civilian weapon as well and it's even more useful civilians. 

I had to drive to Home Depot and had to get a worker to help me to remove the damn barrel nut, this is much easier.

8 hours ago, HughMungusCynicalAnarch said:

quick Chang barrel system and a folding stock.

would like to see how the bolt looks and where the recoil spring is.

wonder why Eugene stoner didn't design the original ar15/m16 this way.

Nice but as a gun enthusiast myself I have to say absolutely stupid design and completely unnecessary in a real world situation. :|

OP just FYI for your future gun/weapon posting endeavor I encourage you to post here as it will help alleviate your having to put up with anti gun BS so much. ;) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Nice but as a gun enthusiast myself I have to say absolutely stupid design and completely unnecessary in a real world situation. :|

OP just FYI for your future gun/weapon posting endeavor I encourage you to post here as it will help alleviate your having to put up with anti gun BS so much. ;) 

oh, it don't think people are so much anti gun, as they are "this isn't tech". Now based on the definition of tech, sure, it can be tech. But in the context of what this forums is based on, it is not.