Selling my 970 what to replace with?

Ykno

So im selling my GTX 970, what can i buy that is either on par or better with a blower cooler.

My options i think are, either another 970, 470 or possibly a 480 depending on how much i can get for my old card.

so obvs budget is limtied so no one say 1080 or something like that

i need a blower card for my setup that why i said blower cards only.

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

i'm guessing you are getting a new card because of the blower cooler requirement?

i'd say either see if you can get a 970 turbo (asus), an RX480 with a non-reference blower cooler, or a GTX1060 with a non-reference blower cooler.

What is the reason to sell your current gpu?

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

reference 1080

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

1 minute ago, TheEpicDuck said:

GTX 1080

I had to

if you're gonna shitpost, at least attach *something* helpful to the bottom...

1060? That should be pretty close to a 970 Performance-wise if i remember right, so if you can find a reference Model that would be a thing to go for.

1 minute ago, Void Reaper said:

1060? That should be pretty close to a 970 Performance-wise if i remember right, so if you can find a reference Model that would be a thing to go for.

i'm a bit tied up on recommending reference, because of the "founders edition tax" to find a name for it, you could probably find a cheaper aftermarket blower.

3 minutes ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

What is the reason to sell your current gpu?

See post below

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'm guessing you are getting a new card because of the blower cooler requirement?

i'd say either see if you can get a 970 turbo (asus), an RX480 with a non-reference blower cooler, or a GTX1060 with a non-reference blower cooler.

and okay and any of these option would be on par or better than my current card? why not a RX470 worse proformance than a GTX970?

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

i'm a bit tied up on recommending reference, because of the "founders edition tax" to find a name for it, you could probably find a cheaper aftermarket blower.

Oh yeah, i totally forgot about the founders Edition thing. Yeah, aftermarket Blower would be a better choice then for sure.

Just now, Ykno said:

See post below

and okay and any of these option would be on par or better than my current card? why not a RX470 worse proformance than a GTX970?

the RX470 is a tiny loss, where the RX480 is *just a bit more money* for roughly equal performance.

i'd rather tell you to scrape some extra cash together for a 480 than to get a 470.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

Ye but i heard the refrence blower is pretty decent in terms of a blower card the fan on them are pretty good or so i hear and hard to beat for a blower. as somethign like the 970 turbo always stuck me as cheap lol compared to there new 1070 turbo looks less cheap now lol

all tho the 970 turbo does play in to my colour scheme well. black and white build.

I'd say go with a 980 or 1060 FE.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, Void Reaper said:

Oh yeah, i totally forgot about the founders Edition thing. Yeah, aftermarket Blower would be a better choice then for sure.

i'm considering the concept of bad VRMs tho, which is kind of a guarantee when going cheap RX480, and i'm not quite sure what the GTX1080 AIBs did under the hood.

either way, i doubt it *really* matters, because OCing on a blower is... not ideal :P

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

the RX470 is a tiny loss, where the RX480 is *just a bit more money* for roughly equal performance.

i'd rather tell you to scrape some extra cash together for a 480 than to get a 470.

Ye if i cant get enought cash together if i was to sell my card then im not gonna bother my case will work with a non blower type card as it has one in it now but just due to air flow restriction the air in the case is getting very warm when gaming.

2 minutes ago, Ykno said:

Ye but i heard the refrence blower is pretty decent in terms of a blower card the fan on them are pretty good or so i hear and hard to beat for a blower. as somethign like the 970 turbo always stuck me as cheap lol compared to there new 1070 turbo looks less cheap now lol

all tho the 970 turbo does play in to my colour scheme well. black and white build.

i saw a 970 turbo (or rather, two of them squeezed into a super tight SLI setup) at my local shop after they launched, they do really shine in super tight builds, if it wasnt for the painful lack of a backplate on those things xD

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'm considering the concept of bad VRMs tho, which is kind of a guarantee when going cheap RX480, and i'm not quite sure what the GTX1080 AIBs did under the hood.

either way, i doubt it *really* matters, because OCing on a blower is... not ideal :P

i dont OC cba to mess around with stress testing and shit. im lazy xD

1 minute ago, Ykno said:

Ye if i cant get enought cash together if i was to sell my card then im not gonna bother my case will work with a non blower type card as it has one in it now but just due to air flow restriction the air in the case is getting very warm when gaming.

4u rackmount case?

have you considered looking into some extra fans or slight mods to push out the extra air?

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i saw a 970 turbo (or rather, two of them squeezed into a super tight SLI setup) at my local shop after they launched, they do really shine in super tight builds, if it wasnt for the painful lack of a backplate on those things xD

o ye fuck didnt even notice the no backplate ha ewww. i wonder if you could fit one aftermarket tho?

2 minutes ago, Ykno said:

o ye fuck didnt even notice the no backplate ha ewww. i wonder if you could fit one aftermarket tho?

there's nothing 3D printing cant fix :D

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

4u rackmount case?

have you considered looking into some extra fans or slight mods to push out the extra air?

i modded it already to have a 140mm intake fan as it just had one spot for a 120mm which is my cpu rad spot lol which isnt helping with heat in case either but no other option on that and i have all other fan spots populated it did have to 80mm fans on the top panel but i remvoed as it was warming up my NAS server as its under that (1U gap between all my rack gear just incase anyone thinks i sat my nas on top wwith no space lol)

will update my build log eventually with pictures of my setup when i get my custom cables made finally they keep getting pushed back by other bills ha!

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

As long as the 480 isn't from Gigabyte or Powercolor, your golden.

1 minute ago, Ykno said:

i modded it already to have a 140mm intake fan as it just had one spot for a 120mm which is my cpu rad spot lol which isnt helping with heat in case either but no other option on that and i have all other fan spots populated it did have to 80mm fans on the top panel but i remvoed as it was warming up my NAS server as its under that (1U gap between all my rack gear just incase anyone thinks i sat my nas on top wwith no space lol)

i'm more so thinking taking out one or two extra expansion brackets to aid airflow around the GPU (if you have some extra brackets there at all.)

i'm actually leaning towards finding a fix for the airflow, rather than have you get a different card.

i'm more so thinking taking out one or two extra expansion brackets to aid airflow around the GPU (if you have some extra brackets there at all.)

i'm actually leaning towards finding a fix for the airflow, rather than have you get a different card.

i tried a blower type exhaust card for the expansion bays which faced the gpu but it didnt make much diffrence 1-3 degress difffrent.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

As long as the 480 isn't from Gigabyte or Powercolor, your golden.

I thought the Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil was "fine", and it just had shittier than reference design VRMs, meaning it wasn't a card for extreme overclocking but is perfectly fine for the average consumer, even if they OC'd it a little.

That said, the Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil is not the GPU for the OP since it is open and not blower style.