Graphics card vs Laptop vs Nintendo Switch????

XXXLovelyXXX

I can only spend my money on one of them! Should I save my money for the switch, a new graphics card for my rig or get a cheap laptop to prepare for university?

Reasons of getting a GPU (RX 480 8GB/ GTX 1060) 

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487275&cm_re=video_cards-_-14-487-275-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202223&cm_re=video_cards-_-14-202-223-_-Product

• My old GTX 750ti is bottle necking my badass rig (i7 6700k, 32GB RAM)
  • I use my PC to play games as i dont own any consoles.
  • I would like to play graphics demanding story games at Max settings at 1080p
  • Getting a new GPU would improve the aesthetics of my rig

Reasons of getting a cheap Laptop 

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-stream-14-ax050sa-14-laptop-blue-10152504-pdt.html

• So I can do my work outside my room or on my bed
  • The course im doing in my school at the moment requires a lot of assignments
  • The computers in my school are extremely slow all the way back from 2006
  • I can use this laptop when i start university doing a computer science course

Reasons of getting the Nintendo Switch

• The HYPE
  • The only portable console I had in my life was a gameboy advance sp (in pink)
  • Gaming outside the room heck outside my house seems like a very good idea.

PLEASE HELP! I CANT MAKE MY MIND UP!!O.o

I would say, get an RX 470 and a Lenovo 100S, best of both worlds :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-110-15-6-laptop-black-10146807-pdt.html

I would say get that instead of the HP stream on the basis of more storage. 32GB is abysmal for a Windows machine and you will run out. Unless you plan on just ditching Windows and installing say Linux on it right away.

Maybe get a cheap chromebook for document work and a graphics card (470 or something) and save for a nintendo switch.  The nintendo switch will always be waiting for you but you might want to get through college first

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Get a laptop, like one with an i5 and 8 Gigs of ram heck, even an i3 with 4GB (don't go with anything worse than an i3 though, I myself regret only getting a low end i5 laptop), Don't buy such a weak card for a 6700k, save for something like a 1070/1080 or even VEGA and you will be better served.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

Laptop, its a better choice.  Maybe get an RX470 if you have money left over, since its only 170$ (or less) and is (almost) double the performance of a 750ti. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Btw the nintendo switch has an estimated 3-6 hour battery life on intense games so long gaming sessions outside of your house are probably not gonna happen

My current rig:

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

6 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I would say, get an RX 470 and a Lenovo 100S, best of both worlds :D

Can the 470 even max games out in 1080p?

i don't know about your country, but here in The Netherlands some university's give a spec sheet of what your laptop should have at least. so i don't how long it is untill you go to university, but maybe wait a bit longer

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

1 minute ago, XXXLovelyXXX said:

Yep. More than capable!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, XXXLovelyXXX said:

yep

My current rig:

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

Depends on the games.. but it is not enough for most aaa games.

Nah. It can get around 50-60fps with ultra settings... It isn't much slower than the 3GB 1060...

3 minutes ago, XXXLovelyXXX said:

Might have to lower extra demanding settings such as AA or AO, but textures, effects and most others can be maxed. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Cheap laptop, kinda necessary for uni. If you want to play way from your desk/house for not a lot of money hit ebay and grab a DS/DSi, they are super cheap as are most of the games.

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

hair works

if you want to max hairworks out, then don't get an AMD card.......

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I would get a laptop. It sounds like it would get a lot more use than something to upgrade your gaming setup.

I agree, but I would make sure it is well built. It's not worth it if you're not going to be able to use it within 4 months or so.

The Switch can wait.

While it is the most powerful portable system that manages to destroys the WiiU performance and Vita, with OK battery life (It is actually similar to the original 3DS).

Now why the wait? The system feels like a rush release. I think Nintendo doesn't have a choice to release it now. Summer time, sales are very low, that is why you rarely have AAA titles come out during this time. The Switch can't be released in Holidays area, or even close to E3 because XBox Project Scorpio will steal the show.

As a result, you have no games, and third party devs have nothing to reveal yet (probably will be at E3). So towards the end of the year, not only, it is most likely that you'll see a bundled game Switch (probably 1-2-Switch), and many titles will be released, with the new 3D Mario game.

So, unless you want to play the new Zelda NOW, there is no point in getting it in March.

So, while I don't know your financial situation, you can maybe get that new GPU, and get the Switch at the end of the year.

How about that Lappy?

Assuming you have Windows Pro edition at home, and decent internet connection, you can just remote desktop from your school computer to your home computer (just be sure it is on and not sleeping, and that you know its IP address which may change often or not at all depending on your ISP).

I don't know where you are in your education, but I think when you reach University, this is where a laptop will be actually useful. And you can work a summer, and get a nice system like a Surface Pro or similar system allowing you to type your notes on this lightweight yet powerful compact system, and when it comes to math, or equation or graph, you can pull out your pen and draw it in your notes.

Thank you all for replying! ^_^ Based on what you all are saying, I have another idea.

Basically, forget the switch that thing can wait, its true that my computer science course in university may require a higher spec laptop. As i would start university this September, i have plenty of time to save up for a high spec laptop for uni thus I also have time to spend money for a graphics card for the meantime. As alot of you guys are saying that the 470 can handle 1080p max, im actually considering that now. (was underestimating the 470).

would it be a good idea to spend for the graphics card now and save for a good laptop throughout the year?

22 minutes ago, XXXLovelyXXX said:

The HYPE

IMO, that puts the switch out the window.

and unless you need a facebook machine, i wouldnt really put that laptop up for consideration either :P

Thank you all for replying! ^_^ Based on what you all are saying, I have another idea.

Basically, forget the switch that thing can wait, its true that my computer science course in university may require a higher spec laptop. As i would start university this September, i have plenty of time to save up for a high spec laptop for uni thus I also have time to spend money for a graphics card for the meantime. As alot of you guys are saying that the 470 can handle 1080p max, im actually considering that now. (was underestimating the 470).

would it be a good idea to spend for the graphics card now and save for a good laptop throughout the year?

I would say save through the summer and get a good med/high spec laptop ($600-$800) and a rx 480 8gb ($200-$275)

My current rig:

Oh you are in comp Science at University... My Surface Pro 2 was amazing in it. Assuming you don't do a gaming class of course... then that Intel integrated graphics will choke you, especially that you don't know all the optimization techniques in graphics, and so on.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

IMO, that puts the switch out the window.

and unless you need a facebook machine, i wouldnt really put that laptop up for consideration either :P

The laptop would be for school work, as she says, so she is going to need one at some point.

My current rig: