Any free antivirus/vpn

Hey so i was wondering if there are any good but free antivirus that works and vpn's that keep stuff private

Avast i guess.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

2 minutes ago, SirPotatoTheWiz said:

Hey so i was wondering if there are any good but free antivirus that works and vpn's that keep stuff private

Honestly the built in windows one works fine, but if you are really paranoid then i personaly use avg.

1 minute ago, mok said:

dont trust free VPN services.

Okay,What are the good paid ones.... Arrrr 

3 minutes ago, SirPotatoTheWiz said:

https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

You don't need a VPN. Even if you used one nothing you do will ever be private. You use them for other reasons.

Hey!

I actually made a guide also talking a little bit about malware removal. (Which I am working on updating :D)

But I have these following suggestions to a proper Antivirus

Free Anti-Virus Suggestions

Since it's a little time ago I updated it, and with the release of Malwarebytes 3.0 i'd recommend you to use the free version of malwarebytes, schedule a weekly scan and use Windows Defender besides it, since Windows Defender provides real-time protection, sadly Malwarebytes 3.0 only provides this on the premium version.

Now for VPN, it really does depend on what you need it for.

One of the things I would recommend is VPN Unlimited, since it's easy to use and provides proper security.

If you're not interested in paid versions or would like to explore other possibilities, there is a website which compares different VPNs.

That One Privacy Site - Simple VPN Comparison Chart

Read my guide about malware removal here!

If I do not follow your thread, please quote me, tag me or PM me :)

I use torguard and it works well. They have a 50% off code floating around so you can get it for $30 a year. They claim to not keep records so it's been rated high. Better than nothing though,  right? 

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

2 minutes ago, Vigilante505 said:

I use torguard and it works well. They have a 50% off code floating around so you can get it for $30 a year. They claim to not keep records so it's been rated high. Better than nothing though,  right? 

Hey!

I'd recommend you to try and search TorGuard on the detailed VPN Comparison Chart, as TorGuard has jurisdiction in the US and does actually log data to a certain degree!

There are therefore also under the so called "Five Eyes"

http://ss.myselfluls.xyz/ysq6pebL1I.png

You can see an image here, the colors shows as following:

Green = “Generally good”, Yellow = “Something of concern”, Red = “Something major of concern”, Blank = Undefined or for reader’s knowledge only.

Of course, you should be careful about them logging data, since it really is generally not good having someone logging your data, especially when that is probably one of the reasons you start using a VPN.

But if you do not generally care about logging (you should!) it still is a generally good VPN.

You can read a detailed review of TorGuard here:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/2016/06/19/torguard-review/

10 minutes ago, MySelfLuls said:

Hey!

I'd recommend you to try and search TorGuard on the detailed VPN Comparison Chart, as TorGuard has jurisdiction in the US and does actually log data to a certain degree!

There are therefore also under the so called "Five Eyes"

http://ss.myselfluls.xyz/ysq6pebL1I.png

You can see an image here, the colors shows as following:

Green = “Generally good”, Yellow = “Something of concern”, Red = “Something major of concern”, Blank = Undefined or for reader’s knowledge only.

Of course, you should be careful about them logging data, since it really is generally not good having someone logging your data, especially when that is probably one of the reasons you start using a VPN.

But if you do not generally care about logging (you should!) it still is a generally good VPN.

You can read a detailed review of TorGuard here:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/2016/06/19/torguard-review/

Well hopefully there's no need to log and report me for watching Gotham online compared to the more heinous stuff people do behind VPNs. 

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

4 minutes ago, Vigilante505 said:

Well hopefully there's no need to log and report me for watching Gotham online compared to the more heinous stuff people do behind VPNs. 

For that I need to quote a "little" whistleblower

"Arguing you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you gave nothing to say" 

-Edward Snowden

40 minutes ago, MySelfLuls said:

Hey!

I actually made a guide also talking a little bit about malware removal. (Which I am working on updating :D)

But I have these following suggestions to a proper Antivirus

Free Anti-Virus Suggestions

Since it's a little time ago I updated it, and with the release of Malwarebytes 3.0 i'd recommend you to use the free version of malwarebytes, schedule a weekly scan and use Windows Defender besides it, since Windows Defender provides real-time protection, sadly Malwarebytes 3.0 only provides this on the premium version.

Now for VPN, it really does depend on what you need it for.

One of the things I would recommend is VPN Unlimited, since it's easy to use and provides proper security.

If you're not interested in paid versions or would like to explore other possibilities, there is a website which compares different VPNs.

That One Privacy Site - Simple VPN Comparison Chart

i've had some REALLY bad experiences with avast (and avg for that matter)

at some point i went around and specificly uninstalled both of those from all the systems they were on, i've only done that effort twice (these two, hence the name and shame) one of them was because of an update adding a crap ton of adware, i dont remember the other one, but it must have been something equally offensive.

--

and as for free VPN, try tunnelbear, if you stay under the 500MB limit, it's actually really good, and the paid plan is pretty acceptable.

2 minutes ago, MySelfLuls said:

For that I need to quote a "little" whistleblower

"Arguing you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you gave nothing to say" 

-Edward Snowden

for those that dont have the attention span to listen to snowden talking normally.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i've had some REALLY bad experiences with avast (and avg for that matter)

at some point i went around and specificly uninstalled both of those from all the systems they were on, i've only done that effort twice (these two, hence the name and shame) one of them was because of an update adding a crap ton of adware, i dont remember the other one, but it must have been something equally offensive.

--

and as for free VPN, try tunnelbear, if you stay under the 500MB limit, it's actually really good, and the paid plan is pretty acceptable.

I can't know how long ago you experienced this, however Avast has undergone a huge change and has improved a lot both as a company and as a security program. 

Avast provides people with effortless security, just download and leave it be and you'll be sure the not so tech savy can still be protected. 

1 minute ago, MySelfLuls said:

I can't know how long ago you experienced this, however Avast has undergone a huge change and has improved a lot both as a company and as a security program. 

Avast provides people with effortless security, just download and leave it be and you'll be sure the not so tech savy can still be protected. 

my issue is, at the very least specificly with security programs, if they say "removes X off your system" on their product page, and then they start adding X to your system in an update, they lose all credibility for me. i couldnt tell you how long ago this was, but all systems on that pile are still in use today, if that draws enough of a picture.

if tomorrow all of the locks from a specific locksmith fall out your doors, i guarantee you you'll never go to that locksmith again.

I don't know if this is the most-optimal setup, but I like having an Antivirus suite paired with an Anti-Malware program.

I'm currently running Kaspersky and Malwarebytes

I haven't used Kaspersky's VPN service, but I know they call it something weird like "Secure Connect"

Malwarebytes is mostly free, Kaspersky is not. 

It's been a long time since I've seen a worth-while, free antivirus. If you can find one or take one of the other suggestions from this thread that fits your needs, then great, use that.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

my issue is, at the very least specificly with security programs, if they say "removes X off your system" on their product page, and then they start adding X to your system in an update, they lose all credibility for me. i couldnt tell you how long ago this was, but all systems on that pile are still in use today, if that draws enough of a picture.

if tomorrow all of the locks from a specific locksmith fall out your doors, i guarantee you you'll never go to that locksmith again.

What I also wanted to point out was that Avast does not provide adware, spamware or any other programs under it/update/install anymore. 

Apologies for not being clear enough previously, I did however test this very recently. 

What I also wanted to point out was that Avaat does not provide adware, spamware or any other programs under it/update/install anymore. 

i understood what you meant, but when i last installed it, it didnt either, my question is how long until they get cocky again?

i understood what you meant, but when i last installed it, it didnt either, my question is how long until they get cocky again?

Probably not going to happen, they merged with AVG which has a CEO with a pretty open mind about mentioning bad stuff like this. 

Generally Avast deserves its trust because of how good it performs.

2 minutes ago, MySelfLuls said:

Probably not going to happen, they merged with AVG which has a CEO with a pretty open mind about mentioning bad stuff like this. 

except, both of them are explicitly the two on my naughty list...

except, both of them are explicitly the two on my naughty list...

AVG has also been removed from my recommended list, not because of the company but because of it lacking in tests. 

However I'd like you to elaborate as of why you would call Avast being on your list or AVG for that sake without mentioning previous events in the company which was fixed (the ting you mentioned previously) 

4 minutes ago, MySelfLuls said:

AVG has also been removed from my recommended list, not because of the company but because of it lacking in tests. 

However I'd like you to elaborate as of why you would call Avast being on your list or AVG for that sake without mentioning previous events in the company which was fixed (the ting you mentioned previously) 

yes it was fixed, but as i reitrate "for how long?"

this is something they pushed to me in an update, with no way of denying it. if they felt okay with doing that at some point in the past, i'm not convinced they'll not suddenly do that again in the future.

they may be reallly against adware stuff now, probably because they're good in the money now, but wait until things are tight, and look at their decisions then.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

yes it was fixed, but as i reitrate "for how long?"

this is something they pushed to me in an update, with no way of denying it. if they felt okay with doing that at some point in the past, i'm not convinced they'll not suddenly do that again in the future.

they may be reallly against adware stuff now, probably because they're good in the money now, but wait until things are tight, and look at their decisions then.

I feel like you could say that for every company out there, after a bit of searching I only found one case with Avast holding on to some data logging through adware which was removed a few months after being pushed to live. 

I feel like you could say that for every company out there, after a bit of searching I only found one case with Avast holding on to some data logging through adware which was removed a few months after being pushed to live. 

i'm still waiting for malwarebytes to suddenly dump 10 shortcuts on my desktop because i didnt pay 20 bucks a year ;)

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'm still waiting for malwarebytes to suddenly dump 10 shortcuts on my desktop because i didnt pay 20 bucks a year ;)

Now it basically just seems like you are firing at every single antivirus, then what DO you use when you even mention one such as Malwarebytes to be unsafe?