First Mini-Itx build /\ Blower or Reference ?

Hi guys!

I'm building a mini-itx build with a Fractal Nano S and an AMD 480 8gb. This is my first mini-itx build so i probably made a mistake, i bought the Msi 480 Gaming X wich seems to be one of the best aftermarket you can buy in terms of temp and db "silence fanatic here"...but not in a case of this format.

From what i can online and in this video "min7:45"

a blower card should be much better in terms of temp and noise "considering that the card will be at 1cm or less from the psu with one fan almost blocked, i have the same case of the guy in the video", and also cheaper. On the other hand i recived a lot of bad review of the 480reference heatsink. Maube even if a blower style would be better, an aftermaket like the msi is still the best choice ?

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Did you already buy the case aswell? Because there are ITX cases which work with aftermarket models.

Yup, already bought the case, i can change the Msi with a Refernce but not the case :c
What do you suggest to do ?

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

The 480 blower models...pardon the pun, blow. Switch to the 1060 with it's significantly lower thermal footprint instead.

Ye i know, i choosed the 480 for "future" performance and freesyinc, the choice is from the 480Refernce and the 480 Aftermarket "like the msi one"

6 minutes ago, Ozozuz said:

Ye i know, i choosed the 480 for "future" performance and freesyinc, the choice is from the 480Refernce and the 480 Aftermarket "like the msi one"

Well, with your case there are more pressing matters to consider. Like thermals. And the performance of the reference 480's is not great in this department. The heatsinks are crappy, you will get thermal throttling even in testbench scenario's and they're far from quiet. 

I've dabbled with ITX builds quite a bit, and the difference in temperatures can be up to 10 degrees because of the airflow paths. I'm not sure what idiot designed that case, but you're going to want a hybrid or blower-style cooler. 

22-Overview-Gaming.png

And these differences matter. I agree the 480 is the better card, in a normal case with a aftermarket cooler. Not in a confined space ITX build.

Blower bro, since you already bought the case.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

29 minutes ago, Majestic said:

[CUT]

So, do you suggest to change it for a 1060 "also blower" or at least with a 480 blower ? :c

24 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Blower bro, since you already bought the case.

Thanks, i had a lot of opion talking about how bad the blower reference card are, but, considering the case, they are still a better choice ?

17 minutes ago, Ozozuz said:

Thanks, i had a lot of opion talking about how bad the blower reference card are, but, considering the case, they are still a better choice ?

Yeah, that's for sure, in a cramped up build the blower still does a better job than an open air non reference cooler.

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Are you the same guy who made the post on reddit? I'll repeat my answer. Get the MSI gaming. It's still miles better than the reference in that case.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

13 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Are you the same guy who made the post on reddit? I'll repeat my answer. Get the MSI gaming. It's still miles better than the reference in that case.

Yes i am ahaha.
I recived too many different opinion about it, it's hard to choose :/
Benchmark and "common sense" are on the blower side, but i don't know how much better the Msi would be in this scenario.

Edit: I saw that you have an open 480 "the xfx one" and my same case. How are the temps and the noise ?

1 hour ago, Ozozuz said:

Yes i am ahaha.
I recived too many different opinion about it, it's hard to choose :/
Benchmark and "common sense" are on the blower side, but i don't know how much better the Msi would be in this scenario.

Edit: I saw that you have an open 480 "the xfx one" and my same case. How are the temps and the noise ?

Temps and noise are good. I average 67c with no OC and 72 - 75 depending on how much I OC. MSI gaming is even quieter than mine so you'll be good.

You need to do the following:

• Get another 140mm good static pressure fan at least for intake.
  • Replace the rear exhaust fan. It's a static pressure optimized fan which means it's not good at removing large volumes of air quickly. When was still using my 390, my temps dropped by 10c just by changing the fan to an air flow optimized fan. 
  • You could use the stock 120mm fan that you take out as bottom intake. That's what I did.

IMG_20161018_130901.jpg

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

Temps and noise are good. I average 67c with no OC and 72 - 75 depending on how much I OC. MSI gaming is even quieter than mine so you'll be good.

You need to do the following:

• Get another 140mm good static pressure fan at least for intake.
  • Replace the rear exhaust fan. It's a static pressure optimized fan which means it's not good at removing large volumes of air quickly. When was still using my 390, my temps dropped by 10c just by changing the fan to an air flow optimized fan. 
  • You could use the stock 120mm fan that you take out as bottom intake. That's what I did.

Those are a lot of fans :o but temps are great !
Do you have a huge increase of noise with 2 more fans compared to the "vanilla" case ?

Can i also ask you with what fan speed do you reach 67c ? It seems an amazing temperature, i think i'll give the Msi a try.

2 hours ago, Ozozuz said:

Those are a lot of fans :o but temps are great !
Do you have a huge increase of noise with 2 more fans compared to the "vanilla" case ?

Can i also ask you with what fan speed do you reach 67c ? It seems an amazing temperature, i think i'll give the Msi a try.

Noise is reasonable because the fans I chose are good. The stock fans are good. I bought 2 fractal design's venturi fans (black ones) to make it up. GP14 for intake and an HF12 for exhaust.

I get 67c with about 60 - 65% fan speed. Remember MSI has quieter fans than mine.

2 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Noise is reasonable because the fans I chose are good. The stock fans are good. I bought 2 fractal design's venturi fans (black ones) to make it up. GP14 for intake and an HF12 for exhaust.

I get 67c with about 60 - 65% fan speed. Remember MSI has quieter fans than mine.

Well, i'll give the Msi a try.
I have a few Corsair As120 Quiet Edition "high-airflow", i hope they'll to the job !

33 minutes ago, Ozozuz said:

Well, i'll give the Msi a try.
I have a few Corsair As120 Quiet Edition "high-airflow", i hope they'll to the job !

Just realized I gave one of the wrong fans. HP14 for intake.