Why do console players defend their purchace with talk of exclusives?

Joseph Hartness
Go to solution Solved by AlTech,
12 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

This is just a random question, not looking for any trouble. I am just curious.

There is a scientific reason.....

It's called confirmation bias.

Here's the definition from Wikipedia...

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities. It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

3 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Because they like those exclusive games and think because X console has X exclusive which they like and no other console has, that makes there console better. Not realising that all exclusives do is make everyone miss out, because a bidding war then begins for each console developer.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Because that's actually why I bought my 3DS, and PS4. For the rest, I have my PC.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

1 minute ago, Gale said:

Because that's actually why I bought my 3DS, and PS4. For the rest, I have my PC.

Not really answering the question though.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

12 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities. It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I guess now all we need is bill nye the science guy to teach these console players what they are missing lol. Just joking but I like this definition as it does give more indepth description of why they prefer exclusives.

PCPartPicker

1 minute ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Not really answering the question though.

Rephrase the question then, please?

The way you are asking implies that buying a console is a bad thing.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

1 minute ago, Gale said:

Rephrase the question then, please?

The way you are asking implies that buying a console is a bad thing.

No I did not say it was a bad thing.

"Why do console players defend their purchace with talk of exclusives?"

This doesn't mean don't buy a console, this is talking about console players in general. Don't see how it implies that buying a console is a bad thing.

PCPartPicker

4 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Because you can't download Pokemon from Steam? 

This one made me laugh. Emulators are the way to go if you want to play ds, gameboy, and 3ds games, and etc.

PCPartPicker

No I did not say it was a bad thing.

"Why do console players defend their purchace with talk of exclusives?"

This doesn't mean don't buy a console, this is talking about console players in general. Don't see how it implies that buying a console is a bad thing.

"Defend." But I don't know if that's important.

Anyways, I really think the answer is very simple. People talk about exclusive games for their consoles because... they find appeal in those games. There's really no long answer.

1 minute ago, Gale said:

"Defend." But I don't know if that's important.

Anyways, I really think the answer is very simple. People talk about exclusive games for their consoles because... they find appeal in those games. There's really no long answer.

Those games, you mean like less than 10 that are actually good and not indie games, and they pay premiums for a console. Anyways this was a good conversation, I enjoyed it.

PCPartPicker

Those games, you mean like less than 10 that are actually good and not indie games, and they pay premiums for a console. Anyways this was a good conversation, I enjoyed it.

Don't forget to mark as solved......

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, WORM said:

I was about to say this... minus knowing the actual term lol

Technology and the internet, such beautiful things. :)

PCPartPicker

Technology and the internet, such beautiful things. :)

very true, praise google... i guess lol

11 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

I hope I'm wrong, but it really does sound like you're shitting on people's choice. It's their business how they want to waste money. Some see paying a few hundred dollars just to have 100 or so hours of fun worth it. It's fine.

I built this PC (with an i5, and 970) that I mostly use for indie games and web browsing, same idea.

Why do people defend high end PCs with exclusive titles? Why do people pay 3x console price to get same quality experience?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, Gale said:

I hope I'm wrong, but it really does sound like you're shitting on people's choice. It's their business how they want to waste money.

I built this PC (with an i5, and 970) that I mostly use for indie games and web browsing, same idea.

People must not know how to make smart "choices" anymore. No offense. You are right and money is just nothing when it comes down to it, but why waste money on something you can't upgrade or fix? That's like buying a car that won't upgrade or can't be fixed and then next year a new model comes out. Same premise too.

PCPartPicker

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Why do people defend high end PCs with exclusive titles? Why do people pay 3x console price to get same quality experience?

Not the same quality experience. This so called ps4 can be had with same performance on pc with less cost.

PCPartPicker

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Same quality experience? I for one really valued a maxed out game like GTA V or even some smaller titles that have some great graphics. I also am fenominally better at fps games with a mouse, I mean most fps console games have aim assist turned on throughout the whole game, I feel like this highlights the disadvantages of a controller. Controllers do have their advantages though for example in racing games, or if you simple want to relax. There is also a huge modding community for PC which can add hours of playtime to a game for free, something that is rare on consoles. These are the main reasons I use a PC, not to mention its better for browsing the web, and for me listening to music as my amp, and nice headphones are always connected

8 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

but why waste money on something you can't upgrade or fix?

One of the appeals of gaming consoles is the fact that it's a plug and play machine; near zero setup needed. And every game that comes out for that console is pretty much guaranteed to work without any need of a hardware tweak (unless the devs messed up). I upgraded my PC from a 560Ti to a 970 because I wanted to try a few AAA titles. I was okay with that. Some people are not for some reason (usually laziness, or money).

But that's not really what you asked in the original post. Why exclusives? Because people just find them appealing (maybe marketing, gameplay, etc.).

1 minute ago, Gale said:

One of the appeals of gaming consoles is the fact that it's a plug and play machine; near zero setup needed. And every game that comes out for that console is pretty much guaranteed to work without any need of a hardware tweak (unless the devs messed up). I upgraded my PC from a 560Ti to a 970 because I wanted to try a few AAA titles. I was okay with that. Some people are not for some reason (usually laziness, or money).

But that's not really what you asked. Why exclusives? Because people just find them appealing (maybe marketing, gameplay, etc.).

The performance per dollar is good with them I guess. Even though they don't get what they could get on pc witch is upgradability.

PCPartPicker

4 minutes ago, Gale said:

But that's not really what you asked in the original post. Why exclusives? Because people just find them appealing (maybe marketing, gameplay, etc.).

The experience with my brother almost makes this statement feel like a lie.

My brother has a PS4 Slim (being the stupid ignorant person he normally is) because his friends play on PS4. His friends play on PS4 because they can't afford PC........

What a lovely catch 22 problem....

Onto the details: My brother has had multiple experiences with Sony's PS4 Software screwing up and giving PSN access to the wrong account and whatnot. He has asked me for help on multiple occasions. I have had a better overall experience with my PC (minus a few incidents) than he has on his PS4 slim.