Why do console players defend their purchace with talk of exclusives?

Joseph Hartness
Go to solution Solved by AlTech,
12 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

This is just a random question, not looking for any trouble. I am just curious.

There is a scientific reason.....

It's called confirmation bias.

Here's the definition from Wikipedia...

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities. It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The experience with my brother almost makes this statement feel like a lie.

My brother has a PS4 Slim (being the stupid ignorant person he normally is) because his friends play on PS4. His friends play on PS4 because they can't afford PC........

What a lovely catch 22 problem....

Onto the details: My brother has had multiple experiences with Sony's PS4 Software screwing up and giving PSN access to the wrong account and whatnot. He has asked me for help on multiple occasions. I have had a better overall experience with my PC (minus a few incidents) than he has on his PS4 slim.

Isn't that a bit of a different problem?

He didn't get that issue because he was playing on a console. He had that issue because Sony's programmers screwed up coding some part of the PSN. Similar problems have happened with other databases (PC MMO's, banking accounts, etc.).

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

58 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Not the same quality experience. This so called ps4 can be had with same performance on pc with less cost.

56 minutes ago, WORM said:

Same quality experience? I for one really valued a maxed out game like GTA V or even some smaller titles that have some great graphics.

You both are thinking that I mean graphic quality. Which I would have said. But I know higher end PC hardware can and will beat consoles hands down on graphics side.

@Joseph Hartness, you asked why console gamers use exclusive titles as reason why they chose console. Thats actually one of better reasons to defend using console or getting one. You rarely see PC gamers defend PCs with MASSIVE amount of exclusive AAA games. Why? Because graphics is always what PC gamers will bring forward. And thats why PC gamers defend their machine which is 2-3x price of console because it can run those games. Or more funny thing, they defend higher end PCs by using non-exclusive titles as comparison.

Now, if we would have PC with 50'' TV from 3-5m away, would you be able to make difference between PC running high settings vs console? (I don't pick Ultra since consoles obviously can't do that, and its not the point here). If you can, can you say you would pick GPU for the price of console just because there is difference?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You both are thinking that I mean graphic quality. Which I would have said. But I know higher end PC hardware can and will beat consoles hands down on graphics side.

@Joseph Hartness, you asked why console gamers use exclusive titles as reason why they chose console. Thats actually one of better reasons to defend using console or getting one. You rarely see PC gamers defend PCs with MASSIVE amount of exclusive AAA games. Why? Because graphics is always what PC gamers will bring forward. And thats why PC gamers defend their machine which is 2-3x price of console because it can run those games. Or more funny thing, they defend higher end PCs by using non-exclusive titles as comparison.

Now, if we would have PC with 50'' TV from 3-5m away, would you be able to make difference between PC running high settings vs console? (I don't pick Ultra since consoles obviously can't do that, and its not the point here). If you can, can you say you would pick GPU for the price of console just because there is difference?

I see your point however, I, Like most PC gamers play on a desk with my awesome IPS 1080p 27in panel, in which I definetly can tell the difference in even ultra and high, im picky though lol I dropped$700 on my GPU pretty much just so I could max whatever Game I please. Also, there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more exclusive titles for PC, like a hell lot more, yes a lot of them are shitty indy games but some of them IE CSGO can eat up the 500 or so hours I put into that game easily, not to mention the steam sales, and its free to play online. Which PC vs Console aside, why the fuck should console players have to pay for online if they already for an internet connection, its not cheap either, for $60 a year you can get a full AAA game for that much

1 minute ago, WORM said:

I see your point however, I, Like most PC gamers play on a desk with my awesome IPS 1080p 27in panel, in which I definetly can tell the difference in even ultra and high, im picky though lol I dropped$700 on my GPU pretty much just so I could max whatever Game I please. Also, there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more exclusive titles for PC, like a hell lot more, yes a lot of them are shitty indy games but some of them IE CSGO can eat up the 500 or so hours I put into that game easily, not to mention the steam sales, and its free to play online. Which PC vs Console aside, why the fuck should console players have to pay for online if they already for an internet connection, its not cheap either, for $60 a year you can get a full AAA game for that much

Thats exactly where I was getting. Its always, ALWAYS, about graphics when people compare PCs to consoles. Really rarely any PC gamer talks about exclusive AAA games. Indies games for sure. Maybe occasional CSGO. But nothing major about Starcraft or other RTS games. And if someone can show another genre with PC running all alone.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats exactly where I was getting. Its always, ALWAYS, about graphics when people compare PCs to consoles. Really rarely any PC gamer talks about exclusive AAA games. Indies games for sure. Maybe occasional CSGO. But nothing major about Starcraft or other RTS games. And if someone can show another genre with PC running all alone.

very true, there are many many factors to consider, but at the end of the day PC is objectively superior, if you argue against that so be it, but there are some legitimate reasons to buy a console too 

7 hours ago, Joseph Hartness said:

No I did not say it was a bad thing.

"Why do console players defend their purchace with talk of exclusives?"

This doesn't mean don't buy a console, this is talking about console players in general. Don't see how it implies that buying a console is a bad thing.

I would argue that it makes people feel they belong to something. That they have something no one else does, maybe like belonging to a club. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch