A Facebook project that uses brain waves to communicate?

Building 8 is a "research division that Facebook created last year [and] is developing “brain-computer interface” technology that sounds a lot like the telepathy of science fiction movies."  wrote Alex Heath from Businesses Insider on the 12th January, 2017.

"One day, I believe we’ll be able to send full rich thoughts to each other directly using technology. You’ll just be able to think of something and your friends will immediately be able to experience it too if you’d like." Mark Zuckerberg once said.

If as Neil Harbisson says "Art also lies in the creation of our own senses" and considering that he is an artist who paints in the medium of sound. It would be this type of art form that may be a little closer to something that I would be willing to share to the world across an open internet connection. But how to turn down the type of "click-bait" headline and editorial skepticism as below for it to become acceptable to all is unknown to me. 

Alternative headings;

Have you synced your brain waves to the cloud today?

Mark Zuckerberg reveals plans to eliminate all free thought (Begs for a constitutional validation of purpose).

Mark Zuckerberg reveals his plan to accommodate free brain wave transfer to a private network (Terminator style "Skynet" neutral net-consciousness).

Mark Zuckerberg wants us all to communicate in a more simple neural neutral instinctive manner (Will the true "religious zealots" please stand up).

Source: thenextweb.com

Original source: businessinsider.com.au

Nb. Just in case you are feeling the *love and not the *hate  -click here- for Facebook's Building 8 current career opportunities.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

good feature.. kinda scary too.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

I would like to be able to choose what I communicate with anyone else, so no thank you.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

On 1/12/2017 at 6:34 AM, jagdtigger said:

It needs to be banned ASAP...:dry:

what needs to be banned this forum?? or facebook? xD

20d3802dc9eacc277ba406758b4e004e.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

I'm sure many are prepared to give them selves to network overlords.

Psychopass.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 19/01/2017 at 4:39 AM, Doobeedoo said:

I'm sure many are prepared to give them selves to network overlords.

Psychopass.

Putting my tin foil hat aside momentarily, the assumption could be made that if the actual communication by brain waves is not a pay-per-use service then you will have to assume that this is Facebook's newest arrow in the quiver for their "free-to-use internet social experiment" project.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

On 1/11/2017 at 10:15 PM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Building 8

That sounds like the bad guys straight from an action movie xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

23 hours ago, Energycore said:

That sounds like the bad guys straight from an action movie xD

Here "8" when sending an SMS text is a substitute for the four characters of mate (sometimes used as m8 depending on the level of laziness of the writer!) which for me adds a type of visualisation in much the same way it would for a someone doing a parapsychology remote viewing. 

During the Cold War (1970-80's) the Stanford Research Institute (SRI) had a 20 million dollar funded ESP research program which was utilised by the CIA, NASA, the Defense Intelligence Agency, and Army and Air Force Intelligence that Russel Targ was a part of for 23 years.

This is not New Age as it is a type of research that has been going on for a while. Published in academic journals such as The Proceedings of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)The American Institute of Physics (AIP) and Nature magazine.

Links:

Russell Tard a Doctor of Philosophy giving a TEDx talk entitled "Is ESP Real? in Hollywood sometime in 2013.

Tech Futures interview with a student scholarship winner who worked at Facebook for seven weeks Ana Landaverde’s Experience (for the job prospectors). ;) 

ESP trainer for iPhone developed under a NASA support page [http://www.espresearch.com/iphone/]

And how long before they find a way to insert advertisements into your dreams?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 2017. 01. 12. at 0:47 PM, haloharry97 said:

what from this form or from facebook xD

The whole idea and the technology... It would be nothing but trouble.

I don't know if I want Facebook to be part of something like this.

And to think that Mark Zuckenberg could tap in and read what I send.

Brrr :/:S 

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

That sounds more like the Matrix than telepathy

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Things that shan't be known to another person would be revealed if this actually came into fruition to the consumer.

@Dan Castellaneta, what if the technology interface and integration did not combine that smartly, I mean let's face it Google (Cortana / Siri) voice search is a fantastic idea, but on-the-ground usage differs between somewhat on par and totally useless? Meaning that all you could do is send "thoughts or feelings" to change the colours displayed within an app or a single device which brings to mind a certain VR headset...? :P