Ethernet over power VS Ethernet over phoneline for in-home game streaming?

Crankier

After finding out about Nvidia's New Shield TV during CES 2017 I was excited about the prospect of finely entering the world of in-home game streaming. But realising my network setup may not be up to par my excitement lessened somewhat. The problem is that I can’t run an Ethernet line straight to the Shield TV and the only two options I can think of are Ethernet over powerline or Ethernet over phoneline. Another problem is that I live in an Australian house that likely has shoddy wiring so I am a bit concerned about the effect that it may have on latency.

My question is like the title suggests. But is mostly for asking if Ethernet over phoneline would be a good option. As I have already read posts about how bad wiring can effect latency when using Ethernet over powerline but can’t seem to find anything about the phoneline.

10 minutes ago, Crankier said:

Ethernet over phone line

?!?!

gigabit ethernet uses 8 wires, phone uses only 2 - ethernet over phone line does not exist

there may be cases where the phones were installed on ethernet cable, but the remaining wires only allow you to do 100mbit ethernet and depending on the streaming setting that might not be enough

If your phone line is not cat5 then don't bother. You can tell by colour and number of wires

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 minutes ago, Darrenl81 said:

Ummm... no, sorry man but cat6 is gigabitif that's wha and there are many different colors for cat5 and also cat5e, that's how identify what cables I used are for what...black-computers, grey-phone, purple-equipment, yellow- for everything. It honestly saves time knowing what cable is what especially finding a cable if it somehow fails. But yeah you can use any cat5 or cat5e cable,  cat6 is not usually used for phones as it's more costly and shows little to no improvement over cat5 or cat5e

in houses down under phone lines are white with two cores. You can tell an old phone cable from a proper network cable based on colour and cores. This is An Australian house not an office building. There used to be monopolies in telco and every house is the same

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, Crankier said:

After finding out about Nvidia's New Shield TV during CES 2017 I was excited about the prospect of finely entering the world of in-home game streaming. But realising my network setup may not be up to par my excitement lessened somewhat. The problem is that I can’t run an Ethernet line straight to the Shield TV and the only two options I can think of are Ethernet over powerline or Ethernet over phoneline. Another problem is that I live in an Australian house that likely has shoddy wiring so I am a bit concerned about the effect that it may have on latency.

My question is like the title suggests. But is mostly for asking if Ethernet over phoneline would be a good option. As I have already read posts about how bad wiring can effect latency when using Ethernet over powerline but can’t seem to find anything about the phoneline.

Run a direct Cat 5e cable if possible, but if not use ethernet over power line.