You Know What Every Gamer Needs? A Single Unified Application That Handles Macros & RGB Lighting

NavXIII

Hey y'all,

The various applications I need to install in order to handle macros for my keyboard, macros for my mouse, fan control, RBG lighting (which by the way isn't ever in sync among all my devices), is way too much. Also, a lot of them are just plain buggy. I'm running Corsair Utility Engine to manage RGB and key macros for my K95, and a lot of times it tells me there's an error and needs to restart in order to use macros. For my G502 mouse, I have to use Logitech Gaming Software, where I have to remake my macros (rather than reassign them if there was a single application) and remake the profile. That's not to mention that Logitech's software for some reason refuses to which profiles which I go into games. If you have an RGB motherboard, you probably need another application to handle that, and another for fan control. 

So what's the best solution? Ideally, if all these gaming companies came together to make one unified standard software that handles macros and RBG lighting, that would be awesome. There can even be add-ons like fan control, GPU overclocking, support for flight sticks, racing wheels, other odd input devices, among many other add-ons so that the application is very versatile and modular. Different companies such as Razer or ASUS ROG can come out with their own themes and such.

Of course, I'm speaking from an idealistic standpoint, but if everyone can agree on USB, I'm pretty sure a few keyboard and mouse manufacturers can agree on this as well. What do you think?

EDIT: Here's some more ideas. Add-ons / plug-ins (w/e you like to call them) for Xbox and PS4 controllers would be awesome as well. Also, having all input devices going through one single application can allow game devs to add-on custom commands for their games. For example, let's say I'm playing Witcher 3 and "alt+ right click" is "Heavy Attack". Normally on my macro software for my keyboard or mouse, I would make a macro for "alt+right click" and map that somewhere. But, let's say the devs created an add-on for this hypothetical unified application where the "Heavy Attack" command and all the other commands are in a list that you can drag and drop into your keyboard, mouse, flight stick, racing wheel, etc. Essentially a command from a game can be directly remapped with this software, removing the need of a in-game keybinding and controller customization. Right now, a command from a game is tied to a key or set of keys, which you then create your macros from. 

What if I have no RGB lights and my keyboaard doesn't support macros?

What then?

Just now, Mug said:

What then?

Then the PCMR police come to your house and take your PC away :P /s

---

Honestly, it would be an interesting idea, but it would require everyone to follow one standard for how lighting and other things are done, and while not impossible, has proven to be a difficult thing in many other areas in the past.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Mug said:

What then?

Then you probably don't need it, nor any of the pre-existing applications?

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

I've heard MSI or asus in a social media post saying they wanted to work together to achieve this

Mhm, they both are teamed with Phanteks so you can sync your RGB mobos case cases together

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, NavXIII said:

Then you probably don't need it, nor any of the pre-existing applications?

But the title said that every gamer needed it :'(

Fucking clickbait :P

5 minutes ago, Mug said:

What then?

No RGB is no fun, but no macros means your keyboard is just tiny, like my 68 key one.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 minute ago, Mug said:

But the title said that every gamer needed it :'(

Fucking clickbait :P

Should've said "Every Macro & RGB Loving Gamer"

We just need @LinusTech to pitch the idea to them while he's at CES.

EDIT: You know what, I got some more ideas, gunna add more to add to the OP...

We just need @LinusTech to pitch the idea to them while he's at CES.

I think he is already packing things already to leave already

Should've said "Every ... RGB Loving Gamer"

You mean every 12-year-old middle class little oik? :P

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Honestly, it would be an interesting idea, but it would require everyone to follow one standard for how lighting and other things are done, and while not impossible, has proven to be a difficult thing in many other areas in the past.

You're right because nothing in PC building is standardized..... except pretty much everything xD

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

You're right because nothing in PC building is standardized..... except pretty much everything xD

Well for the most part all the important things are, like PCIe, RAM, etc. but let's just say not everything is that lucky... there's a reason this comic exists :P 

standards.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.