MetallicAcid's Fractal Effect 304

MetallicAcid

A quick mini update for you guys, I was hoping to have the hole cut larger to accommodate the cables, and have the PSU put back together before I finished work today. Then I was going to take some glory shots and present them to everyone... I cut the hole, put the PSU back together, then broke my big toe and twisted my ankle.

The PSU is still at work, so no photos have been taken yet of it. I will take the day off tomorrow, and hopefully pick up the PSU on Thursday and get some shots of it ASAP! I am sorry for the delays guys.All I know is that my foot hurts like hell, and it sucks that I had to rush off without the PSU!

Until next time,
MetallicAcid

Where's the emergency induction port?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Guess I have something to learn now :D

I think either I can not read or we are on different terms at the moment because I thought you were going to make a "Sketch up" for my build. (Sucks that it has been paused at the moment) I did not mean making a new a shroud. 

Thanks Golden

That's no problem. Now I understand you ;) I can try to sketch up something for you. Send me a PM with what ideas you have and I will try to fix a design for you!

Do you own a metal shop or something? and how do you paint your components? air brush? what type of paint also. thanks, looks incredible.

Hey man! No I don't own a shop, or even work in a metal fab shop. I did my bending using clamps on a table edge and bending with my hands. All hand tools bought from a regular hardware store.

Painting is done with regular spray paint. The prep work is the most important step. If you get that right, then the painting is the easy part.

And thanks for the positive comment btw! Only thing I can recommend is to just take your time, plan and measure everything, and make sure you read and watch a lot of tutorials :)

Where's the emergency induction port?

Would you believe that my work did not even have a bloody cold pack I could put on my foot to stop swelling?! Scandal!

Best regards to you all!

MetallicAcid

http://www.facebook.com/metallicacidcustomspcs

That's no problem. Now I understand you ;) I can try to sketch up something for you. Send me a PM with what ideas you have and I will try to fix a design for you!

Hey man! No I don't own a shop, or even work in a metal fab shop. I did my bending using clamps on a table edge and bending with my hands. All hand tools bought from a regular hardware store.

Painting is done with regular spray paint. The prep work is the most important step. If you get that right, then the painting is the easy part.

And thanks for the positive comment btw! Only thing I can recommend is to just take your time, plan and measure everything, and make sure you read and watch a lot of tutorials :)

Would you believe that my work did not even have a bloody cold pack I could put on my foot to stop swelling?! Scandal!

Best regards to you all!

MetallicAcid

Alrighty, now that everything is cleared up I will pm you when I get home from school. Lol (Business is sooooo boring :P )

Thanks a ton, Golden

Update 10

Look!! Mum look!! I sleeved my USB 3.0 cable!! (and IO panel cables ;))

Hello, and welcome back once again for another fantastic update in this fun little project I have going on here!

Today I would like to present to you my sleeved IO panel and USB cables, of which I used the SATA sleeving I have received from MSCB.se! The USB 3.0 cable was a bitch to sleeve, as I had to desolder the connections from a PCB strip, then force that female USB header through the SATA sleeving. It was like pushing an elephant into a car. It was like putting a whale into an ice cream container. It was like putting a sailing ship into a bathtub! You should have gotten the picture by now... Then I had to then resolder the USB female headers back in place before screwing the PCB back into place.

"Shut up and show me the pictures already!" you say? OK!

DSC04151_zps132f62f1.jpg

DSC04147_zps9dae11f1.jpg

DSC04152_zpsc942a119.jpg

Here is a small text update on the other bits and pieces left to do, and what I am still in the process of doing for this project.

In process of doing:

The PSU is now at home, and pictures will be taken tomorrow at some point.

The PSU shroud is now ready for its first coat of primer.

Bitfenix fans are in the process of being painted.

Node 304 "armour" is being repainted.

Things left to do:

Paint PSU shroud.

Create GPU plexiglass shroud.

Installation of all components.

Installation of LEDs.

Cable management.

Final photoshoot.

I hope you guys have enjoyed this update! I do look forward to any and all positive/negative feedback you have for me :)

Best regards,

MetallicAcid

Update 11

Warranty? Pfft, that's for losers and pussies (Part2)

G'day everyone!

I would like to present to you guys part 2 of my PSU sleeving, the finished product! I just have to start this update with that I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER sleeve a semi-modular PSU EVER again. One time is enough. I have done it once, but never again! With this said, it did turn out better than I had hoped for :)

A short recap of what I have done with this PSU:

Shortened all cables by at least 30cm.

Recrimped all wires.

Sorted and sleeved all wires.

So here come some pictures for you!

DSC04153-2_zps42e279bf.jpg

DSC04154-2_zps616d9fd7.jpg

DSC04155-2_zpsc6b2ab84.jpg

DSC04156-2_zpsb8eeaf21.jpg

DSC04157-2_zps1c416b9c.jpg

DSC04158-2_zps481f7403.jpg

DSC04159-2_zps7a3527ea.jpg

DSC04160-2_zpsaedac75b.jpg

DSC04162-2_zps1ac0b14e.jpg

Things done since last update:

PSU photos have been taken and posted.

Bitfenix fans have been painted.

PSU shroud has received two coats of primer.

"Armour" has had a new coat of white and grey paint.

Bought an ASUS GTX770 DCII 2GB graphics card.

In process of doing:

Painting PSU shroud.

Putting Bitfenix fans together.

Things left to do:

Finish painting PSU shroud.

Install the PSU shroud.

Paint top of case grey, and side of case red with black stripes.

Buy orange plexiglass.

Attaching the "armour" to the top of the Node 304.

Installation of LEDs.

Cable management.

Final photoshoot.

Well guys, that's it for this update. I am going to continue putting together my fans, and get back to you hopefully tomorrow with some glory shots. If time permits, I might even install the PSU and frontplate for the Node 304.

With best regards,

MetallicAcid

Why a semimodular psu again? Looks stuning anyways!

There are next to no fully modular low wattage PSUs on the market, and Henriks budget did not allow for a new.. So I had to settle for a second hand semi modular to save money :(

MA

I like how everything goes together color wise in the PSU.

Again, very well done. I can sooooo not wait to see the final result :)

I7-4770k - ASUS Maximus VI Formula - 16GB ADATA 2133MHz - EVGA 780 SC - 512GB Intel SSD - 2TB WD Black - Thermaltake DPS 750W

Update 12

I would like to introduce to you my biggest fans!

Hello once again everyone! I have a quick update for tonight. I would like to present my two painted Bitfenix fans which will be used as push/pull on the Corsair H80i. I thought that black white and grey would work really well with the overall colour scheme as the H80i is black, the grey is featured in the "armour" and white is the dominant colour in this build.

I hope you like these pictures :)

DSC04169_zps98ff4487.jpg

DSC04168_zps99388999.jpg

DSC04166_zpsbf4fb2fa.jpg

DSC04165_zpsa1d77ac8.jpg

DSC04163_zps79570561.jpg

Things finished since last update:

Bitfenix fans have been put back together.

In process of doing:

Painting PSU shroud.

Installing PSU into case.

Installing H80i.

Installing front panel.

Things left to do:

Finish painting PSU shroud.

Install the PSU shroud.

Buy orange plexiglass.

Attach the "armour" to the top of the Node 304.

Installation of LEDs.

Cable management.

Final photoshoot.

That's it for now guys. Stay cool!

MetallicAcid

image.png

Dat power supply sleeving.....

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Hey guys!!

Since the last update I have shortened the cables so that there is just 10mm then just the female fan connecter. They will be hooked up to a Corsair H80i, so I do not need the extra long cable ;) Pics to follow when I have time to get them from the memory card :D

In other news, I have started putting everything together inside the case. I have to say that my own expectations of how it look have been blown out of the water… This is one very unique Node 304 indeed! I am currently working on some custom cables to deliver electricity to the LEDs which will be located under the PSU shroud. I will also create a fan extension cable to power the front two fans from the motherboard, which serve as intake to the Node. I do not wish to use the the stock two-speed fan controller which comes with the Node as I think it is ugly.

Best regards,

MetallicAcid

Stop making me drool on my computer. Please.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Update 13

Size (length) matters!

Hello once again, and welcome to a small update involving the two Bitfenix fans that I have been modifying. In this update, I have shortened the cables by all of their length, and make it so that just the connectors are showing. The reason I have done so is because they will be connected up the Corsair H80i, an do not need any extra length, making any clutter in my project. 

Here are a couple of photos to show the finished fan:

DSC04172_zpsd56f2020.jpg

DSC04171_zps7f2f113f.jpg

DSC04170_zps8f46c196.jpg

Shortened fan cables.

Painted PSU shroud.

Installed front panel.

In process of doing:

Installing H80i.

Installing PSU shroud.

Installing components.

Creating fan extension cable.

Installing LEDs.

Cable management.

Things left to do:

Buy orange plexiglass.

Installation of LEDs.

Cable management.

Final photoshoot.

That's it for now, take care :)

MetallicAcid

Sexy.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Update 14

The building begins!

G'day guys and girls :)

I have started installing some of the components, and wanted to show to you how everything should look, including cable routing. I am working on a couple of custom cables which will be for the two front fans, the LED lighting, and SSD.

So, in usual order, here comes some eye candy!

DSC04185_zps7ccaa123.jpg

DSC04182_zpsd080b1d4.jpg

DSC04181_zpsfb5ebd46.jpg

DSC04178_zpscccdcc33.jpg

DSC04175_zpsad393ce9.jpg

DSC04174_zps682ff7cf.jpg

DSC04173_zps6445b399.jpg

Installed components.

In process of doing:

Installing H80i.

Installing PSU shroud.

Creating fan extension cable.

Installing LEDs.

Cable management.

Things left to do:

Buy orange plexiglass.

Installation of LEDs.

Cable management.

Final photoshoot.

Thanks again for reading everyone! Please let me know what you think of the build so far, and don't forget to leave any criticism on how I can make this build even better!

MetallicAcid 

Where is the PSU cover you made?

It has been drying in a warm server room at work to help speed up the paint drying process. I will bring it home tonight though and get some photos up before the weekend :)

MA

dayum.jpg

That is so fricking good looking. I'm in love with it  :wub:

I7-4770k - ASUS Maximus VI Formula - 16GB ADATA 2133MHz - EVGA 780 SC - 512GB Intel SSD - 2TB WD Black - Thermaltake DPS 750W

Can't believe i did not sub to this. Like... Wow...

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014