Ashton Kutcher joins Lenovo as Product Engineer

Canoas

Article from the verge

Apparently after getting Ashton Kutcher to promote the yoga tablet, lenovo decided to hire him. But not for their marketing team, he has been hired as a product engineer. With that said, his first duty as a product engineer was to appear in a commercial, where you can clearly see his new ID card, so how much influence he will have on new products is still unknown.

post-30762-0-14420700-1383505597.jpg

What is lenovo thinking? Are they trying to imitate jobs by hiring the actor that played him? Tbh I did like his presentation style, but why product engineer? Kutcher did go to college and was planning on majoring in biomedical engineering, but he never graduated and either way biomedical is a completely different field.

Biomedical engineer still takes engineering and electrical classes.

And just because he's a product engineer doesn't mean he'll be designing the internals. He could just have influence on the look of the products.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

That is strange i agree not sure what this means or how it will effect anything

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

Imagine him at the office.

Kutcher: So what are you guys doing?

Teams: we are deciding if we should use i5 and i7 Or i3 and i5 in our new line of ultrabooks.

Kutcher: why not use a GT630? I heard those are pretty good

I thought engineers were supposed to engineer..not be semi-funny.

Biomedical engineer still takes engineering and electrical classes.

And just because he's a product engineer doesn't mean he'll be designing the internals. He could just have influence on the look of the products.

Yeah but the level of knowledge is completely different so I don't think it'd help much. Maybe he's a tech enthusiast and actually knows a thing or two about computers? Still, it's not that uncommon to get celebrities to endorse and even present new products, but hiring them as product engineers? I can't think how this is going to have a positive effect on the product itself.

Faith in Lenovo. Lost... Oh wait I never really cared about them in the 1st place lol

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

This is honestly great haha 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Faith in Lenovo. Lost... Oh wait I never really cared about them in the 1st place lol

Really? I find them to be one of the best around. They got the thinkpads, the ideapad y510p, the ideapad yogas, etc. I really like their products

Really? I find them to be one of the best around. They got the thinkpads, the ideapad y510p, the ideapad yogas, etc. I really like their products

Maybe if I were to be in that sort of stuff atm I would like em. But all my money now is gona go towards my 1st build. Either way I made the biggest mistake ever(one that i shall not ever make again!) by even considering getting a laptop for gaming(dont have it anymore). The 2nd mistake was getting it. lol

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

So they hired someone, by all accounts is really smart, to help design, decide feature sets, etc? Problem with this, none.

Regardless of how qualified he is or is not, would he even have enough time to give much input? He does have other priorities that I would imagine make him a lot more money.

Imagine him at the office.

Kutcher: So what are you guys doing?

Teams: we are deciding if we should use i5 and i7 Or i3 and i5 in our new line of ultrabooks.

Kutcher: why not use a GT630? I heard those are pretty good

I'm not sure where all the Ashton Kutcher hate is coming from. I guess some people don't like his acting? He's rumoured to have an IQ of 140, and is by all accounts, incredibly smart. He might not be designing the electrical engineering aspects, but is most likely helping with the physical design of products. In either case, I firmly believe that if he DID work in the office, he'd do his homework and learn about the different components, and would easily know the difference between the core i series and the lower Pentium/Celeron series.

And he would have learned at least the foundations of electrical engineering in his Biomed degree anyway (even if he didn't graduate), which mixed with tech enthusiast knowledge (This could be debated, we don't know for sure that he's a tech enthusiast) means he likely knows more about engineering then most of the forum users here.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/ashton-kutcher-hired-design-new-lenovo-tablet-article-1.1503063

"Computer-maker Lenovo has hired tech-savvy actor Ashton Kutcher to help design and pitch its latest line of tablets, dubbing the Hollywood star a "product engineer" who can bring his ideas along with his image."

"It's one of several Asian tech companies seeking to loosen Apple's grip on China's tablet market with less expensive Android models."

He's basically pitching ideas on how to market and what's an ideal tablet for consumers.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Maybe if I were to be in that sort of stuff atm I would like em. But all my money now is gona go towards my 1st build. Either way I made the biggest mistake ever(one that i shall not ever make again!) by even considering getting a laptop for gaming(dont have it anymore). The 2nd mistake was getting it. lol

Well, gaming laptops aren't bad if you really need it to be a laptop. For example, the 1200$ lenovo ideapad y510p comes with SLI GT750M and can run every single game out there, just not in ultra settings. However, if a desktop fits your needs then of course it's much better. 

So they hired someone, by all accounts is really smart, to help design, decide feature sets, etc? Problem with this, none.

Well, tbh I haven't found anything that points to him being "really smart" or even into tech. If he was on a pc enthusiast's level then I guess maybe he could be a good asset to the team, but I think this is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

Well, gaming laptops aren't bad if you really need it to be a laptop. For example, the 1200$ lenovo ideapad y510p comes with SLI GT750M and can run every single game out there, just not in ultra settings. However, if a desktop fits your needs then of course it's much better. 

Me needz ultra bling bling grefix

Specs of my PC:

I honestly don't know what to think about this. It could be good but only if Kutcher knew about engineering. On the other hand and more realistically Kutcher knows nothing and is just a pretty face. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Job title: Product Engineer: 

Job Description: "input and decision making into design, specifications, software, and usage scenarios."

This is nowhere near an engineering job that requires low level knowledge and experience, but his background/interest in tech should keep him from falling asleep in meetings and presentations that are anything beyond using marketing terms.

I can't say much since I don't know much about him except acting.

What I would like to know is:

-what tech he uses and how he uses them.  

-his opinions on current tech and it's goods and bads, or how he envisions people using tech.

-has even ever used a thinkpad and trackpoint, or trackpads that are actually accurate? 

My Rigs (past and present)