Quick question: What happens when your FPS rate exceeds your freesync range?

I read quite a few opinions on the interwebs about this issue and many of them were conflicting others didn't make any sense so I beg you to respond to this post only if you really know how this stuff works without assumptions etc because I am very confused already as it is. Thank you.

So my question is simple and only  about Freesync (dont care about Gsync) 

Lets say you have a 144Hz monitor that has Freesync but only on the range 40-90Hz

What happens if your actual FPS rate on a game can be like 180 FPS ? will freesync lower it to 90 FPS? 

yes, freesync will match the max supported Hz your monitor can support. I think G-Sync and Freesync have V-Sync but reduce latency.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

1 minute ago, Apollo Refugio said:

yes, freesync will match the max supported Hz your monitor can support. I think G-Sync and Freesync have V-Sync but reduce latency.

isnt the point of having freesync not to use Vsync? again with the confusing stuff :S 

1 minute ago, papajo said:

isnt the point of having freesync not to use Vsync? again with the confusing stuff :S 

it goes and still runs the game at a higher frame-rate it just only displays some of the frames it receives from the graphics card. so each time the monitor is ready to display the new frame the newest frame your graphics card is done rendering will display. its been a while since i watched a video on how it works but if i remember correctly thats how it works. 

20 minutes ago, papajo said:

No, VSync and GSync/FreeSync are independent technologies that perform different tasks. GSync/FreeSync does not and was not designed to replace VSync. 

Basically, up to your monitor's maximum refresh rate, GSync/FreeSync is active and syncing the monitor and GPU. Above your maximum refresh rate, GSync/FreeSync is disabled and either VSync takes over or the FPS is just uncapped and you likely get tearing, depending on your settings. 

You can probably blame Nvidia for their routinely bad explanations and documentation of their technologies, but adaptive refresh rate technologies do nothing above the monitor's refresh rate, contrary to what a lot of people believe due to poor explanation.

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

No, VSync and GSync/FreeSync are independent technologies that perform different tasks. GSync/FreeSync does not and was not designed to replace VSync. 

Basically, up to your monitor's maximum refresh rate, GSync/FreeSync is active and syncing the monitor and GPU. Above your maximum refresh rate, GSync/FreeSync is disabled and either VSync takes over or the FPS is just uncapped and you likely get tearing, depending on your settings. 

You can probably blame Nvidia for their routinely bad explanations and documentation of their technologies, but adaptive refresh rate technologies do nothing above the monitor's refresh rate, contrary to what a lot of people believe due to poor explanation.

So basically in the scenario I mentioned (144Hz monitor with 40-90hz freesync) its useless to have freesync if your GPU performs good in games and produces more than 90FPS so you gonna still have tearing?? wtf

1 minute ago, papajo said:

So basically in the scenario I mentioned (144Hz monitor with 40-90hz freesync) its useless to have freesync if your GPU performs good in games and produces more than 90FPS so you gonna still have tearing?? wtf

If you've got a monitor with a strange freesync range like that, sure. Most freesync monitors just have a minimum range and can go all the way to the monitor's maximum refresh rate. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you've got a monitor with a strange freesync range like that, sure. Most freesync monitors just have a minimum range and can go all the way to the monitor's maximum refresh rate. 

well last time I checked (which was about a year or little less) most 120 or 144hz monitors that supported freesync didnt have a freesync range that was maxing their maximum refresh rate.